YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Shifters > Stray (book1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

goodreads summary-There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.
I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

message 2: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

okay i havent read this series yet but i have to say it looks damn good!

*Mrs. Brightside* This book was amazing!!! You should definitely read it(: go Jace and Ethan!

message 4: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

:) it looks really good!! i think i will try and read it this month :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jace! Jace! Jace!

I really like Faythe too. Not everyone likes her, but she reminds me of Rose from VA. She's extremely tough, but also stubborn and a little selfish sometimes.

*Mrs. Brightside* I agree.

message 7: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

now i definitely have to read it lol

message 8: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Reading it nooow.

message 9: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Everyone should read it, haha :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Britnee lies. She's in manga world.

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "Britnee lies. She's in manga world."

I can't help it D;

message 12: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) But! I did read a little bit more.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's okay, I won't be getting to Demon King tonight. I still have to finish the book I'm struggling with. If it doesn't get better soon, it's going bye-bye. The only reason I haven't quit yet is because it's on more than one challenge of mine, so I hate to give away a double score like that.

message 14: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I'll hopefully be starting and finishing the Demon King before the end of the month. Ah I've learned if I can't get into a book in the first 100 pages I give up.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Something I said in one of the other topics, but it won't get lost in this thread...

I LOVE that you get to be in Faythe's head while she shifts. It's really fun to get to feel exactly what she's feeling with every stage of her shifting process.

message 16: by Carina (new)

Carina Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "Something I said in one of the other topics, but it won't get lost in this thread...

I LOVE that you get to be in Faythe's head while she shifts. It's really fun to get to feel exactly what she..."

I remember you saying this but I dont remember on which thread, but yes! I totally love the transformatoin prosess!
I might be alone on this but I totally love Marc! (I love Jace too thou)

Im about 20 pages into
Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent and loving it already!!

message 17: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 29, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's okay. Marc is actually the one most people love, so I was surprised to find others in this group that even liked Jace like I did! Marc did grow on me and I love him too, but not as much as Jace. Marc's best feature though is he'd do anything for Faythe. He'd probably mow down 20 men that wanted to get to her.

message 18: by Carina (new)

Carina Wow really? cause it seems likeno one else (except you n me) likes Marc.
And I totally get why everyone loves Jace, cause I love him too.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) When the series was getting ready to release Alpha, I joined in a lot of discussions and almost everyone was team Marc. Same with over in the Shifters group.

message 20: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Why would people do that :/

message 21: by Carina (new)

Carina Well because Marc is hot and awesome in a diffent way than Jace. ;)

message 22: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Carina wrote: "Well because Marc is hot and awesome in a diffent way than Jace. ;)"

Nope! Sorry! Hes just like Kaname <.<

message 23: by Carina (new)

Carina Um...who's Kaname??

message 24: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) *Cough* Just some jerk from VK. Sorry.

message 25: by Carina (new)

Carina *Gasp* Marc is not a jerk.....well not much anymore lol

message 26: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Hmmmm..he is IMO. Kaname might be a bit worse considering hes an incestuous pedo.

*Mrs. Brightside* Mmm...Marc kind of is /: lol. But...I think he (hopefully) grows out of it(:

message 28: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Hes too violent.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's called protective, lmao.

I don't know why I'm defending Marc so hard, since I'm a Jace lover. It just seems like Marc's getting too much of a bad rep, when he's not all bad.

message 30: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Well at least some people love him.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's a 6 book series, haha. I don't think everyone stays exactly the same for all 6 books. Faythe changes a lot too.

message 32: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Well I might change my mind

message 33: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments I like Marc, but I LOVE Jace. But to be honest, when it came to who Faythe would end up with, I always felt that she belonged with Marc, and I did love them together.

I mean, I could always have Jace...

message 34: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 30, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Potential spoiler for the last book, but wanted to comment on what Truthic said. (view spoiler)

message 35: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I know who she ends up with. So I read it.

message 36: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Yup, that was exactly what I felt too while reading it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Saw this posted in another group, taken from Vincent's blog. It's about her new adult series :

Series name: The name of the new series is “Unbound.” As in, “An Unbound novel, by Rachel Vincent.” Or something like that.

Title: The first book, currently scheduled for September 1, 2011, will be called BLOOD BOUND.

I know, I know, there's already a Patricia Briggs novel of that name. (I read it years ago. It was awesome.) But because my novel is coming out years after hers did and because the subject matter of my book is NOTHING like hers, I’m not anticipating much title confusion. My original working title for the book was “Bound In Blood,” and we went through literally a dozen or more title possibilities with the awesome people at Mira before finally deciding (unanimously, as far as I know) that nothing else captures the feel and subject matter of this book better than BLOOD BOUND. So, BLOOD BOUND it is.

Genre: The Unbound series is paranormal. It’s a little more romance-heavy than the early Shifters books are, and about in line with romance/relationship content of the last couple of Shifters books.

Audience: The Unbound books are intended for adults. As my editor said, BLOOD BOUND is “twisted.” (Is it wrong that her quote makes me smile? ;)) If this first book is any indication, these books will be very dark and gritty, violent, and tense, but with some humor (mostly dialogue) to take the edge off.

The world: The idea behind the Unbound world-building is simple. The execution is a little more complicated. For me, it all started with the cliché “a man’s word is his bond,” then grew to include, “the pen is mightier than the sword” and the concept of “word of mouth.”

“What…” I thought, as I was brainstorming, “…if those clichés could be taken literally?”

What if a person’s word really was his or her bond? What if, once given, a promise could never be taken back? Would you be more careful what you say? Wouldn’t we all, if we were bound to our words?

Then I took it a step further. If the spoken word carries that much power, how much more would the written word carry? What about words written in (or sealed in) blood? What about words written in (and sealed in) flesh? Tattoos and graffiti take on a whole new meaning, huh?

Needless to say, once I headed down that thought-path, the world-building exploded—there’s much more to it now (but I’m not going to give you any more just yet). The story lines grew from the world-building possibilities and conflicts. The characters developed based on the experiences they would've had, growing up in this world.

The bad guys are bad (twisted, according to some…), but they have very human motivations.

The good guys are…not exactly wearing white hats. But the innocent are still innocent, and someone has to fight for them. (This may, in fact, be the only thing Shifters has in common with Unbound.)

The characters:

Olivia Warren owes her friend Anne a favor. Anne needs someone found and brought to a very quick, private justice.

The catch? Olivia must work with Cam Caballero to complete this favor. The problem? Cam is Olivia’s ex—the man prophesied to either kill her or die by her hand. It's a tense reunion, at best.

As Olivia and Cam chase their target through public streets, private lives, and a dangerous criminal underworld, everything they thought they knew comes into question. In the end, they can only be sure of three things…

No one can be trusted.
Everyone’s lying.
And someone’s going to pay.

*Mrs. Brightside* Oohh...sounds good.

message 39: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments i love rachel vincent, so i'll definately try blood bound :)

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) This was everything I wanted in a series lately, and more. Seriously, one of the best books I've read in a while. Faythe is such a kick ass heroine, and I love that she has a will of iron, and isn't a fluttering damsel in distress.

message 41: by Carina (new)

Carina Awesome Meg! I'm right there with you, as soon as I finished this book I knew I had found my new obssesion!

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Gosh Carina, I've put everything else on the back burner until I finish this series. Lol. SO addicting! I'm just about to start the second one. =]

message 43: by Carina (new)

Carina I've been steadily reading it but had to put it down for now cause I finally got Catchingfire from the library. I've been waiting for it for like 3 months!!
But as soon as I finish Mockingjay and This Side of the Grave(NH5) I'll be starting book 4!
I cant wait to find out what happens next!!

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Catching Fire and Mockingjay take EXTREME precedence over anything that you could be reading right now. LOL! Let me know what you think when you finish!!
As for Night Huntress, I'm SO excited to start that one next month. I just know I'm gonna end up tearing through that series next month, too! =]

message 45: by Carina (new)

Carina You should definetly finish Shfters before you move on to Night Huntress, cause NH is Impossible to put down!
Cant wait for you to meet Bones and Cat, they are awesome!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This series was the one that started my love of adult urban fantasy, actually. It will always have a place in my heart. I love almost every single character in the series too, which is rare.

Even her dad is badass.

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. So true!

message 48: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 11, 2011 12:36AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Forgot to mention that when this comes out in June, it will have a short story featuring one of the Shifters girls (was it the cousin, I can't remember her name)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

i started reading this book, but got the flu rite after. I still haven't been able to pick it back up. but i did enjoy what i read

message 50: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 11, 2011 12:44AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This series is one that gets progressively better with each book, much like how Fever is. I really liked the whole werecat thing from book 1, but Britnee was a Marc hater from the start and won't go on to book 2 now because of him, even if JACE's hotness should counteract her Marc rage.

At least Carina has my back.

« previous 1

YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stray (other topics)
Rogue (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Vincent (other topics)