TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > The Tudors

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Is anyone watching this series? I just rented season 1 and really like it so far! It is great!

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 133 comments no but i have thought about watching this show. what is it about? why do you like it? or anyone else who likes this show, tell me about it!

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie Well it is about King Henry and all his wives and the drama of his time. It is loosely based off the Tudor's legacy. The nice thing about it is that it is only 10 episodes so you are not watching too much of it. I love all the costumes they are using and the sets as well.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments The Tudors are back!!! I love this series but then I also love reading historical novels too.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie I have been waiting for season 2 from the library so I won't be able to watch season 3 while it is on! Sometimes it takes my library so long to start checking stuff out. I wonder if they let the staff watch it first and then check it out to patrons?

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments Season 2 was wonderful!! You'll enjoy it Angie.

message 7: by A.C (new)

A.C | 27 comments I am watching the second series now and I am loving it. It is a very fresh aproach to an old and known story. Good acting

message 8: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I was curious about the TV show and rented a few chapters from Netflix. I was not impressed. Everyone looks like they stepped out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. All soap opera with cotton candy.

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Feb 02, 2011 10:05PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I watched the whole series and liked it. The costumes and sets were magnificient. Filmed in beautiful Ireland. I think BBCA is airing it now from the beginning.
Yes, it's dramatic and soapy but Henry VIII lived his life like a soap opera. What else could we expect from Britian's most notorious king?

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (katsie2) | 17 comments I just finished watching S3, and was not happy with it. S1 and S2 were really good, however, I was disappointed in 3 because it seemed to be comprised of filler material. I'm going to finish watching it over the next few weeks. The show is really raw, but so compelling with regard to Henry. IMO he's a sponge, but a 'hot' sponge. It's almost frightening to see how easily he could be turned against family, friends, etc. I think this version of Henry is fairly accurate. Frightening, selfish, self-centered, ego maniacal man,...I could elaborate, but we all know what a dog he was. Notoriously evil king. Way too much power for one man to wield.

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Feb 17, 2011 03:40PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I agree, S1 and S2 were fantastic. The next two seasons weren't as good, but it reflects history, he went through a series of wives rather quickly but none of them brought the conflict and drama that Anne Boleyn did.

message 12: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments This has never been my favorite show since I dont think its very accurate; however the main redeeming feature is that it makes people curious about history and the real Henry VIII.

It makes for good entertainment if nothing else.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The problem with dramatizations like The Tudors is the writers blend fact with fiction so those who have no prior knowledge come away believing it all as if it's all true. There's some historic fact in The Tudors but just as much fiction, if not more.

message 14: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I stopped watching when they started to make stuff up.....Henry's sister Mary married the King of France not Portugal etc etc etc

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Feb 17, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I hear you, they ruin it with inaccuracies but it's necessary for a dramatic TV series. On The Tudors, Mary married the ancient king of Portugal, hated him, killed him, ran away and secretly married Henry's friend. See? Drama. It's the ulterior motive of series writers.

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I think in the series they called Henry's sister (Mary) ...."Margaret"?
Supposedly so as to not confuse people with Henry's daughter also called Mary.
In real life, Margaret married three times....her first husband being the King of Scotland.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments When I watch series based on historical personages, I take it with a grain of salt. If someone is of special interest to me or if I'm not familiar with their history, I'll research them. I'd never take a series writer's word for it.

message 18: by Kate (last edited Feb 18, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

Kate (katsie2) | 17 comments I agree that the Tudors is a work of historical fiction, but many viewers watching it, do not know this about the show. However, saying that, I really do enjoy historical fiction, and enjoy reading it frequently.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Just finished watching this whole series. One of the best historical fictions on TV in a while.