easy peasy reading group discussion

february book of the month

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 381 comments Mod
was wondering what type of theme people wanted was wondering whether to choose from either richard and judy spring 2011 reads or the channel4 tv book club reads for spring 2011

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments I'm cool with that, there is a good selection in these lists. The Room is on both but I really don't fancy that one!

message 3: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments I agree with Chris, both lists have a great choice. I'd be happy with using either list.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments A good idea Steve. I'd rather go with the Channel 4 book club, as my daughter and I have already ordered them! But I'll go with the general consensus.(Any excuse to buy more books!!!)

message 5: by Stephen (new)

what I was thinking is say we go for one list for february and the other for march just an idea :)

message 6: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments Stephen wrote: "what I was thinking is say we go for one list for february and the other for march just an idea :)"

Sounds good to me.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Stephen wrote: "what I was thinking is say we go for one list for february and the other for march just an idea :)"

Good idea!

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (booksdingle) | 186 comments good idea Stephen!

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (booksdingle) | 186 comments did we get a book for February???

message 10: by Stephen (new)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

message 11: by JackieB (last edited Feb 03, 2011 05:18AM) (new)

JackieB | 123 comments Anyone started this yet? If so, what's your verdict so far? I am still waiting for my library to get me a copy, but I'm in a queue. If I wait for the library, I might not get my mitts on it until March. I may have to buy this one, even though I am supposed to be reducing the number of books I own, not buying more.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

I started it last night and so far I am enjoying it and finding it so interesting as its part bio of the person/family and part science

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments I've read the first couple of pages of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and think it's going to be good!

message 14: by Stephen (new)

its a mixture of bio and science which is quite good :)

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Science has never been a strong subject for me, but when it's written about in this way, think I can manage!!

message 16: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments I've have just cracked and bought The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks about 10 mins ago. I was going past the university bookshop and a copy caught my eye. So now I am the proud owner of "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", "My Last Duchess", "The Hare with Amber Eyes" and "The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies". Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything except temptation. Anyway, all bar the zombies book are on my To-read list, so I'd have bought them anyway, and this way I got one free.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Good justification, Jackie!! :-)

message 18: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments It should be, I've had lots of practice!

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments JackieB wrote: "It should be, I've had lots of practice!"

Haha!

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments How's everyone getting on with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot ? I'm nearly half way through and finding it very interesting - quite shocking too in places.

message 21: by Stephen (new)

i really enjoyed it and was interested what they used to get away with when it came to medical research currently reading the gallows curse a very dark thriller by karen maitland enjoying it so far

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments I've just read the chapter about cancer research in the late 50s to mid 60s; unbelievable what went on!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Finished it this morning. An interesting book, but painful. I found the parts dealing with Henrietta's daughter, Elsie, particularly difficult. I could have cried at the inhumanity of it all.

message 24: by Stephen (new)

i think it was a good book to read for the group and very interesting

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments It was certainly something different - and quite special. I didn't know much about the subject of cells etc, so have learned quite a bit from reading the book. I found the parts of the book dealing with Henrietta's life and her family both interesting and painful to read. A worthwhile read...but I'm glad to have finished it!

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary (ivybuttons) | 5 comments Fascinating book on all sorts of levels, social, cultural and scientific. Glad I read it.

message 27: by Stephen (new)

well angela you will be able shortly to get your head into the new karen maitland book i really enjoyed it :)

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Stephen wrote: "well angela you will be able shortly to get your head into the new karen maitland book i really enjoyed it :)"

Wonderful!! :0)

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments I'm lagging behind with this month's read. I now have a copy, but I'm engrossed in another series! I'll probably have to read along side the march book. ooops!

message 30: by Stephen (new)

think you may like though chris the book for feb once you get going

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments Hi Steve
I'm sure I'll like it, just need to get my finger out!!

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments hi
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is on tv book club tonight. might be interesting to see what the review are. I usually agree with Jo Brand's opinion (and never Ade Edmondson) - odd!

message 33: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (booksdingle) | 186 comments is the new book showing the March read? Looks a bit scarey for me! lol.