2011 Winter Fiction Panel discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 11 comments Mod
Welcome to the winter fiction group. We'll have a set topic each day starting on January 17, but in the meantime, please feel free to introduce yourself. Thanks so much for joining the group!

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 11 comments Mod
You may have noticed I just changed the dates on the group. We had a last minute scheduling change, so we will be moving the panel to February 7. Check back then!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Wynne (Muskokagirl) | 1 comments Hi everyone!! Just a quick introduction. My name is Laura and I'm from the beautiful tourist area of Muskoka, Ontario. Like most of you, I'm sure, I live a hectic life and treasure the time that I am able to escape with a wonderful book. I'm a read-a-holic I'm afraid and tend to panic a little if I have nothing to read at night, so I've become completely enamored with my e-reader. I absolutely love the fact that I can download a new book at my whim!! I got my Sony e-reader for Christmas and have already finished reading 5 books, including the great trilogy by Stieg Larsson..."The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl who played with Fire" and "The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest". Couldn't put them down once I got got about 1/3 into the first one.
I'm also a big fan of Lisa Alther and I'm utterly thrilled that she will be available here for questions!! I'm not sure that I'll have questions, I may just stalk the conversations and sit in awe. If something comes to mind however, I'll be more than pleased to join in.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Alther | 12 comments Hi Laura (and everyone else)! Thanks for your kind comment about my writing. I've never been a virtual panelist before and am excited about having that opportunity. Will look forward to our discussions next week!

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 1 comments Thanks for doing this panel. Of these panelists I've only read (and loved) Susan Minot, but I'm always looking for new authors to love. I have to read a lot of really bad writing for the research I'm doing (not naming names) so I could use some great new books.

PS: My life is the opposite of hectic. In fact, my life is just a leeeeetle too calm these days.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (glickman) | 16 comments Stacy wrote: "Thanks for doing this panel. Of these panelists I've only read (and loved) Susan Minot, but I'm always looking for new authors to love. I have to read a lot of really bad writing for the research ..."

Please DON'T name any names, Stacy, but what is your area of research? Perhaps one of us knows someone worth reading who'd be of interest.

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinceciledavidson) | 1 comments Susan Minot's writing has influenced my own - especially Monkeys and Lust & Other Stories - so looking forward to more of her words here.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula I was delighted to see that Susan Straight was participating in this panel. I had the pleasure of meeting her several years ago when I was doing a radio program and she came through town on a book tour for 'I been in sorrow's kitchen and scrubbed out all the pots" - that book has stayed with me for many years and was a catalyst for a visit to coastal South Carolina to experience the Gullah culture for myself. She's a great-hearted writer.

message 9: by malrubius (new)

malrubius | 1 comments Hello. I'm interested to know how the authors feel about outlining versus flying by the seat of one's pants. I've tried both and both have their drawbacks, but, then again, I also lack discipline, which is obviously a huge, probably bigger, problem.