Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > Harry Potter's New "Signature Edition" Covers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 6156 comments Mod
Okay, maybe I am just WAY out of the loop, but I only discovered today that the "Harry Potter" books are wearing new covers these days, for the UK version. Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky.

http://harrypotter.bloomsbury.com/

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/201...

What do you think!? Overall, I am not much a fan except for the "Azkaban" and "Half-Blood Prince" ones.
But, even then this just doesn't seem like Harry Potter to me, but maybe I'm just suck on the ones that I am used to (Mary GrandPre's versions).

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

I like the new art, and I guess they want a new market for the books, so they freshened them up a bit. We also have the books in German, with a different illustrator.

I do like GrandPre's versions, and they are the ones that will stick with me because they are the ones I read first.

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

It's such fun to browse the book covers from around the world! Here is a gallery for those who haven't seen them yet and would like to:

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org...

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jan 12, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

The Sweden ones are so elaborate and I like the fairytale aspect, but why is Harry looking so stern and unhappy!? (I mean, I guess given all he is going through, why not; I am just so used to America's Happy-Harry!)

I totally dig the first one from Portugal, just his feet, the broom, Hedwig and the letters (but, um, why is Hedwig BROWN!?)

Check out Hermione's hair in the Ukraine "Azkaban" one--awesome! Again, I kinda like these covers--the detail and the fairytale elements but the faces just look a bit off to me in some of them.

The Vietnam one--wow, it looks like a video game or something. Haha, awesome!

The Japan ones are REALLY interesting! I really like them, very artsy, though definitely with a creepy element.

Italy's are really cool, too. Almost remind me of something from "The Little Prince" I love these!

The France ones really capture scenes from the book!

Anyway, fun-fun :-)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'll look at them when I've posted this. I already own all 7 hardcover books and the hardcover edition of the Philosopher's Stone book as well. And a boxed paperback set with all 7 books. I've bought enough.
;-)

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments I hate to say anything against linocut designs, since I actually blog on the twin topics of block printing and juvenile fantasy... (Thanks for the tip on the covers - I see a blog post in my future! lol)... But I think they have way too much empty white space around the designs. GrandPre is still my favorite.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I would love a Harry Potter book that included every single cover of every single book. I've seen web pages that had them up to some point, but I'd love the collection. So far, I like the American ones the best, of the ones I've seen.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Lisa wrote: "I would love a Harry Potter book that included every single cover of every single book."

Me, too! :-)

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8430 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "I would love a Harry Potter book that included every single cover of every single book. I've seen web pages that had them up to some point, but I'd love the collection. So far, I like the American ..."

That would be such a cool idea, the ultimate coffee table book for a Harry Potter fan!!

message 10: by Madeline (last edited Jan 18, 2011 06:03PM) (new)

Madeline | 3 comments That is a great idea. I would love to have prints of the U.S. and Swedish versions, Sweden's were so creepy but cool! I also liked the first few Japan books and all the Ukraine and German ones. The Italian ones confused me at first but I think got better. The new U.S. ones aren't ugly, I do like the illustrations, but I feel like they don't pull you in the way the previous ones do. All that white makes me feel like they're holding me at a distance.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I almost always get attached to (my) original covers, and that's been true of the 7 Harry Potter books too.

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments I think it is interesting to see how the covers get changed in the various versions, yet I seem to really enjoy the version that I've read.