Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Post Apocalyptic Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Reiss (nottobrite) | 4 comments Does anyone have any favorite Post Apocalyptic novels that they have listened to in audiobook form?

Recently, I have to say I loved The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell, and read by Tai Sammons and also love Far North by Marcel Theroux read by Yelena Schmulenson.

I recently listened to Last Light by Alex Scarrow Last Light, which was good.

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Hey Bob,

I think that there's another topic similar to this one - quite a few of us like these, it seems! The one I always think of (because it was one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to) is The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It has multiple narrators as well as original music (lyrics written by the author). It's actually the sequel to her book Oryx and Crake but I think that it could stand alone. Happy reading!

message 3: by Heidi (new)

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 3 comments Oooh! I loved Oryx and Crake and I didn't realise Year of the Flood was the Sequel. Now I'm even more keen to read it!

It's not postapocalyptic, just distopian, but I enjoyed The Hunger Games on audio. The reader does a terrific job. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

message 5: by Archiegitdog (new)

Archiegitdog Currently listening to Left Behind which was recommended in a previous similar post. Highly enjoyable so far!

message 6: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (scylla) | 12 comments I'm currently listening to The Passage by Justin Cronin (read by Scott Brick). I'm about half way through and it's great so far!

message 7: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) I second the vote on The Passage. Great performance of an interesting story.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

There are several audio versions of Atwood's Year of the Flood (the one I listened to was by a single female narrator - she was very good). I HATED the hymns that were included in the audio book though - at the beginning of each section there's a hymn and a sermon and in the audio version the hynmns have been set to music - they're really hokey and boring and I wished they hadn't been there - there are 14 of them. It was like a musical (something I also don't like).

message 9: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I really liked that Bernadette. I think that there's two female narrators in that version. Each to their own I guess!

message 10: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agilecairn) | 49 comments Has anyone listened to Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? It's supposed to be a classic; I was disappointed. Just wondering what others think...

message 11: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) | 16 comments The Road and I Am Legend. I have The Passage from the library, but haven't started it yet.

message 12: by Alan (last edited Feb 20, 2011 07:05PM) (new)

Alan (alanmintaka) | 190 comments Doreen wrote: "Has anyone listened to Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? It's supposed to be a classic; I was disappointed. Just wondering what others think..."

Hi Doreen,
I listened to the version narrated by Jonathan Davis (introduction by Connie Willis) and I was disappointed too. I also read it sometime in the early 60's and in 1974. I loved it both times I read the book.

There could be a number of reasons why I disliked the audio version but loved the print version. Maybe I just didn't get along with the narration by Jonathan Davis; or this could simply be one of those examples of a book that's better read than listened to.

Also, when I first read it in the early 60's (I was 10 or 11), post-apocalyptic literature was a unique new phenomenon in my area. It was also a little on the rare side. George R. Stewart, John Wyndham, and Pat Frank were among the few authors of such books represented in our little town library.

Those were the Cold War days and even little kids like myself understood that we might soon be living in that post-apocalypse world (if we survived the transition, that is). Thus we could actually relate somewhat to the tone of the story. Add the low threshold of wonder for any 10 year old kid, and you've got a hit novel on your hands.

That I still loved the book with the same wonder in 1974 was the result of a prolonged period of infancy. Enough said about that.

Some other apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic books from that early period that were making the rounds:

The Wind from Nowhere, by John Wyndham
The Long Winter, by John Christopher
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Alas, Babylon dealt with survival after nuclear war, so it was right up our alley as kids. In addition, it left Earth Abides in the dust in terms of enjoyment for me.

Nowadays, of course, you can't turn around in a bookstore or library without running into a post-apocalyptic book of one sort or another.

I'm glad you posted your comment, because it gave me a needed push to revisit those old books and see if audio versions were ever published.

Sure enough, Audible has an unabridged version of Alas, Babylon. I'm certainly going to give it a try. I hope that the audio version is up to snuff with the book, unlike the audio version of Earth Abides.

If you're interested in that kind of literature, you might want to give Alas, Babylon a try. I'll report my reactions here after I've had a listen to it.

Happy listening,
Big Al Mintaka

message 13: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agilecairn) | 49 comments Alan wrote: "Doreen wrote: "Has anyone listened to Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? It's supposed to be a classic; I was disappointed. Just wondering what others think..."

Hi Dore..."

Hi, Al --

The early 60's. Those were scary times. I remember having air raid drills in school. We were sent into the hallway and had to stand right up against the wall facing it (no duck-and-cover in our school!). How this was to protect us from a nuclear explosion is beyond me.

I must say you were much more sophisticated in your choice of reading material than I was at the age of 10 (and most likely still are!). Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars was my speed!

Anyway, I think what bothered me about Earth Abides is the protagonist's attitude toward females and his decision to discontinue teaching the kids to read. I know my mood colors my opinions so maybe if I read it today I'd love it!

Now that you've got me cheerily thinking about nuclear annihilation: do you remember the movies that were shown on TV around the same time (1983-1984): The Day After, which seemed to get the most hype; Testament, which was chilling because of its depiction of radiation sickness; and, my 'favorite', Threads, which burned into my brain the effect of nuclear winter and the long term cultural changes brought about by nuclear destruction.

Those were the days...

Doreen

message 14: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I'm listening to that right now Sho! Glad to know that you liked it overall.

message 15: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 66 comments I definitely want to listen to The Passage.

message 16: by Ld (new)

Ld | 3 comments Favorites are The Road which I've heard multiple times, Cell, and I Am Legend.

The Strain and The Fallare good, waiting for third installment.

Post apocalyptic within a bubble: Great listens for me were: The Tommyknockers, Ender's Game and Needful Things, loved The Hunger Games and Salem's Lot

so-so but entertaining: Under the Dome, The Windup Girl

Earth Abides lost me in the second half

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice One of my all time favorites is A Gift Upon the Shore by M.K. Wren.

message 18: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (caffeine_chapters) I have just listened to Earth Abides, it's a little dated now but it was an excellent read.

The Road is also fantastic, minimalistic in it's dialogue, and the father and son relationship really tugs at the heartstrings.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments Agreed about The Road!

message 20: by Evia (new)

Evia Qbotu | 1 comments I would suggest the Hunger Games Trilogy. The Divergent Series. My all time favourite King book The Stand.

I just finished listening to One Second After, very good indeed.

About to start Lucifer's Hammer.

message 21: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments I've enjoyed on audio:

The Stand by Stephen King
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin

There's probably a bunch more I can't recall offhand.

Now reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Ten years ago it would have been a much easier question. Now... There are so many I've read and loved.

I do have a preference for the ones that _cover_ the fall, rather than start after. That is a good part of why I'm loving The Strain TV series (as well as the books). They are taking the fall slowly :)

message 23: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments Strangely, although I like specific examples of the genre, I tend not to like the genre as a whole - particularly the zombie-related ones. I don't think they're bad; they just don't interest me very much.

message 24: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) | 8 comments I have a post-apocalypse audiobook, but it's actually before the apocalypse. Book two will address when SHTF more completely, then book three will be the aftermath and rebuilding.

If anyone would like a promotional code, just let me know. No review necessary. No strings.

In The End: a pre-apocalypse novel

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments I would love to give your book a listen! You can send me the code at jeffrey.barron.owens@gmail.com.

Thank you!

message 26: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) | 8 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I would love to give your book a listen! You can send me the code at jeffrey.barron.owens@gmail.com.

Thank you!"

Sent. You're welcome. :)

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Ooh sounds great! I'll message you!

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 75 comments I would second the recomendation for The Day of the Triffids. Its 60+ years old but it hasn't dated at all and is a great listen.

message 29: by Loy (new)

Loy | 13 comments edward I will be happy to listen to your book and review it..

the book sounds good lorrainelittle18@gmail.com

message 30: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) | 8 comments Loy wrote: "edward I will be happy to listen to your book and review it..

the book sounds good lorrainelittle18@gmail.com"

Sent.

Thanks, Loy!

message 31: by James (new)

James Livingood (paperbackward) | 71 comments My favorite has been World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. Each part is played by a different Narrator, some of them quite famous. I really liked how the story skipped from different POV, but maintained a central timeline.

Just FYI: The book and the movie pretty much only share the name and zombies. The rest is different.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura R | 45 comments I love PA books but haven't listened to any of them on audio yet! I've been debating getting on of my favs, The City, Not Long After since it's available on Audible. I've also got The Stand on my wish list, but it's just sooooo long!