UAE Good Readers discussion

Second hand book stores in Abu Dhabi?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Hey people!

How we all doing today.

Guys do any of know of any second hand book stores in abu dhabi? or any clubs in the town?

If not would anybody be interested in setting up in the capital. Well I am in for it.

How many of you are?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hi Sithara,
The only one I know of is House of Prose in Ibn Batuta Mall. It is actually only accessible from the outside, tucked behind Geant.
Danielle

message 3: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Hey Danielle,

Thanks for that bit of info. It is a shame that we dont have something of that sort here. And i am seriosly thinking of a small forming a small group where we can exchange and read books, a book club. But i think to start with we will need atleast ten people to participate. Spread the word and let me know in case you know of someone who is interested :)

message 4: by Hunadah (new)

Hunadah (hun87) | 5 comments Hi Sithara, i think the idea is very nice, but i do not think we have to wait until 10, fro example, are ready to join. I live in Dubai, but i am willing to come on a weekly basis, on Friday or Saturday for one, two hours, to meet in some calm caffee discuss what we are reading now and the recommendations for later books.. at the uni we had a small book club too, but i really miss it...I think more people will join as many are starving for sharing their reading .....anybody in for next weekend meeting, in Abu Dhabi for Friday??

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hi Sithara, I already run a small group, but would be happy to expand it. We meet once a month (Monday nights). Our next meet is to discuss The Help and we are meeting this coming Monday.

message 6: by Hunadah (new)

Hunadah (hun87) | 5 comments Hi Danielle, what time this coming Monday and where do you meet?

message 7: by Reem (new)

Reem (reem_j) | 6 comments Hey all

do you mean to establish a book club in Abu Dhabi?

message 8: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Hunadah wrote: "Hi Sithara, i think the idea is very nice, but i do not think we have to wait until 10, fro example, are ready to join. I live in Dubai, but i am willing to come on a weekly basis, on Friday or Sat..."

That is a super cool idea adn i love the way it is shaping up. I am afraid i will not be able to make it this Monday (have some stuff keeping me busy), but we should all meet up and formulate something. It will be fun and delightful :)

Good going people :)

message 9: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Reem wrote: "Hey all

do you mean to establish a book club in Abu Dhabi?"

hey reem, that is what i had in mind, a book club!

message 10: by Reem (new)

Reem (reem_j) | 6 comments Sithara wrote: "Reem wrote: "Hey all

do you mean to establish a book club in Abu Dhabi?"

hey reem, that is what i had in mind, a book club!"

That's great,, I would really want to join then. What do you want me to do?

message 11: by Sithara (last edited Jan 15, 2011 11:15PM) (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Hey people,

Lets suggest a date after Jan (preferably during the weekends) and meet up. What say?

message 12: by Reem (new)

Reem (reem_j) | 6 comments I am in!! Saturday morning?

message 13: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments So how about Feb 5th (first Saturday of the month)...

Mail me your number to sithara.radhika@gmail.com and lets take it forward.. i love the pace at which its going... pretty cool :)

message 14: by Reem (new)

Reem (reem_j) | 6 comments That's great but unfortunately, I will be out of the UAE for couple of weeks starting next week and I will be back on 5th Feb early morning. Can we meet the following Saturday instead and then make it a habit to meet first Saturday of every month afterwards. Many thanks. Am really glad we are doing this!

Will email you my number in a minute.

message 15: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments grand! works just good for me. So our first meeting on Feb 12th and after that we can take it forward

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle If you want to join my small book club this Monday night, we will be discussing The Help by Kathryn Stockett. We are meeting at Shakespeares in the new Souk at 7:30 pm. Look for the group with books in hand!

message 17: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments Hey Danielle, I would have loved too. But i am tied up all of this Jan. I am meeting Reem and hopefully you and more, on the second week of Feb. This is just to get to know each other and our interests. And if it is okay with you, maybe you could even absorb us into your club; like you had suggested earlier it is neat to expand rather than have a new one. Lets meet up.

All the best for today and if you would like to come along and meet us; do mail me at sithara.radhika@gmail.com

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hi Sithara, Would love to meet some time, but I can't in February. Saturdays are also our family day, but a Friday might be OK.

My small group will meet again on the evening of February 15th to discuss The Room by Emma Donoghue. We still haven't decided where.

Danielle

message 19: by Reem (new)

Reem (reem_j) | 6 comments Hi Danielle

I would really love to join your group but unfortunately I live in Abu Dhabi and it is hard for me to travel to Dubai that often. Hope will meet someday.

Reem

message 20: by Hunadah (new)

Hunadah (hun87) | 5 comments For me, i do not mind where ever it is, i like driving ;)
However i hope i can make the timings :)

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Reem, we are based in AD. Maybe next time.

message 22: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments @ Danielle.. we can shift it to friday, no harm in that :) and how was the meet yest? hoping to meet you all the next time. kind regards

message 23: by Danielle (new)

Danielle @Sithara. The meeting was great. We rated "The Help" 3.5 out of 5. Shakespeare's Cafe is a real happening joint - actually the only lively place in the new Souk in Abu Dhabi!

I can't meet this February, because I have visitors. March will be better.

message 24: by Sithara (new)

Sithara Sethumadhavan | 10 comments @ Danielle... that is grand! I was a bit busy these days (had some personal issues to sort and stuff) and thats why i delayed replying back :)

message 25: by Gail Monique (new)

Gail Monique Mallo (fissionlink) | 10 comments There is a second hand bookstore I've recently discovered but it is outside the city, in Yas Island, to be specific. Right inside Ace Hardware store there is a cafe called Book & Beans with a used bookstore inside. They have a great selection!

I would go there all the time but it's just too far and I have work most of the week.

I think there is one within the city. Anyone know where abouts?

message 26: by Kavitha (new)

Kavitha | 2 comments Yes there is one in the city in Hamdan Street. behind Sun and Sands Sports, same building as sandesh sweets. it is called Thrift Book.They are off Sunday. 10-2, 5-9 are the other working hours.

Monique wrote: "There is a second hand bookstore I've recently discovered but it is outside the city, in Yas Island, to be specific. Right inside Ace Hardware store there is a cafe called Book & Beans with a used ..."

message 27: by Gail Monique (new)

Gail Monique Mallo (fissionlink) | 10 comments K. wrote: "Yes there is one in the city in Hamdan Street. behind Sun and Sands Sports, same building as sandesh sweets. it is called Thrift Book.They are off Sunday. 10-2, 5-9 are the other working hours.

Mo..."

Oh my! This is what my friend was talking about when we were in the area but she wasn't really sure where there. Thank you! I'll be sure to check this out this weekend. Are their selections great as well? :)

message 28: by Nimrah (last edited Mar 19, 2013 12:55AM) (new)

Nimrah Khan | 2 comments @Sithara are you having a meeting this month? and are you open to new members? I'd love to join

@Monique, here's a post about the bookstore. i really want to go. there's an attached map in this post for anyone who wants to go too. I havent been there but from the pictures posted, it seems like they have a great collection!
http://violetology.com/2012/02/18/whe...

message 29: by Gail Monique (last edited Apr 01, 2013 12:07AM) (new)

Gail Monique Mallo (fissionlink) | 10 comments I found two second-hand bookstores in Abu Dhabi and blogged about them! :D Exciting times! :D

http://gailmoniquemallo.com/2013/03/1...

http://gailmoniquemallo.com/2013/03/2...

message 30: by Waqas (new)

Waqas Mansoor (waqasmansoor) i would like to know that too . the books are a bit expensive in abu dhabi malls and stores . plus kindles are way too expensive . it would be great if there is a shop from where i can get second hand books .

message 31: by DK (new)

DK .. (httpswwwgoodreadscomdonnapk) | 4 comments @monique i discovered these shops through your blog at that time. thanks a lot :)