Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Historical > Rose Sees Red by Cecil Castellucci

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) This is a historical book for some of us and not really for others, since it was based on the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union during the 80s. It's a bit strange, really, to think of all the "history" I've already lived through!!

So, this is more a period piece than a historical fiction. This is a story about neighbors, teenage girls who both love ballet, but might as well live on separate planets because they are on opposite sides of the cold war. Until one night they break free of their stereotypes and expectations and just have fun together.

This is a story about how disconnected individuals can feel from their country's politics and how even teenagers can see the absurdity of fighting battles that can never be won. And even though there is plenty of political commentary, this is a fun story, about making connections in high school and finding your place.

I enjoyed it :)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I saw Cecil Castellucci speak at Wordstock last October. She read a children's book she'd written. I know she's done some graphic novel work as well, but I have yet to read anything by her. It's on my to-do to find a good starting place for reading her work. Have you read anything else by her, Angela?