Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > 2011 Newbery/Caldecott Award Winners Announced!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We're late! They came out yesterday!

http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/2011/01/...

I have read none of them. The Janis Joplin book surprises me. Comments? Anyone read any of these?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh! I meant to post this yesterday, but got distracted!
Thanks, RA!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 11, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did I hallucinate a Janis Joplin one? What's good, librarian?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Terry Pratchett won the Margaret A. Edwards award for contributions to YA literature. Everyone should read one of his books. I suggest Mort. :)

Moon Over Manifest, which is the Newbery winner, hasn't even made it to my library system yet, even though we've got it on order. I hate when that happens. I have it on hold. I must admit, it's not the sort of book I'm excited about reading. I'm not much into historical fiction. The description reminds me a bit of Bud, Not Buddy.

But I really want to read the Caldecott winner, which I thought sounded great when I ordered it: A Sick Day for Amos McGee. It's about a zookeeper who gets sick, and so the animals take care of him for a change.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, and you did NOT hallucinate a Janis Joplin title, RA.

The YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults honors the best nonfiction book published for young adults during a November 1 – October 31 publishing year.
"Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing,” written by Ann Angel, is the 2011 Excellence winner.

Now, you may not like her singing, but I bet that's fascinating reading. :)

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I wonder how they handle the whole "choked on her vomit" thing. She choked on her vomit, right? Or was that someone else?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I thought it was a ham sandwich? Oh, wait, that was Mama Cass...

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I go with "choked on his/her own vomit" with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, and Bon Scott. That can't all be right.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Didn't Keith Moon drown in his pool? Not his vomit?

I think Jim Morrison died of a heart attack in his bathtub in Paris. He was a drunk, not a druggie.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Those must be different YA non-fiction titles.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments There's a picture book biography about Jimi Hendrix that won an award this time, too:

One King Illustrator Honor Book was selected: “Jimi Sounds Like a Rainbow: A Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix,” illustrated by Javaka Steptoe, written by Gary Golio and published by Clarion Books, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.

Oh, but getting back to books, I see that Will Grayson, Will Grayson won an Odyssey Honor for best audiobook, and I've heard it is really good. RA, I know you liked An Abundance of Katherines, and it's by the same author, team written with David Levithan.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I thought Dennis drowned when he fell off his boat.

message 13: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments One of my very favorite time-wasting websites is
www.findadeath.com

You'll find the scoop on Janis and the others and sometimes there are even pictures (by clicking on a link.) You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.*

*these might gross you out. I think they're fascinating.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I remember when it happened.

message 15: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I thought it was a ham sandwich? Oh, wait, that was Mama Cass..."

Mama Cass died of a heart attack, the ham sandwich rumor was started by a callous remark from the ambulance driver who said that anyone that fat probably choked to death on a ham sandwich.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Thanks for the clarification, Jammies.
And apologies for perpetuating that myth. :(

message 17: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sorry, Jackie, I didn't mean to be cranky, it's just that it's part of our whole fat-hating thing as a society, so I tend to react strongly.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No worries, Jammies. It's pretty clear I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to rock star deaths! :)

message 19: by janine (last edited Jan 12, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments i feel like we've had the who choked on vomit and who didn't discussion before.

i can't find it so we probably haven't.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm really curious about this Janis Joplin book now.

By the way, my son just read I Am Number Four and raved about it. That didn't win an award, I think, but if you're looking for good YA...

message 21: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Barb wrote: "You're right Janine ... it wasn't that long ago."

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

It's here... starting with message 618!

message 22: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments so i'm not crazy! thank you.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I'm not sure the fact that she found the thread proves that you're not crazy :-).

message 24: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments when you use a smiley you don't use a period. now it looks like it has a big pimple on its chin.

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I read "The Radleys", it was ok for the age group. I thought it got the teenage angst thing pretty well. I thought the concept of a teenage vampire trying to be vegan was hilarious! The plot is that vampire parents who abstain from blood keep their vampire children completely in the dark about vampires and on special diets and meds to keep them from craving blood. And what happens when the kids find out they have been lied to all their lives.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I got it!

Did you read Wind-up Girl, Buns?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I got the reference, too, Bun! Hee!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Bun, I remember when he was Lenny of Lenny and Squiggy. And wow, was he young then!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.