Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Must Read SFR

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:25AM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Deathbychocolate brought up a good question. Is there a series or SFR novel that you feel others simply must read? Share here!

I'll start!

1. Shards of Honour, Vorkosigan #1
2. Song of Scarabaeus, Scarabaeus #1
3. Gabriel's Ghost, Dock 5 #1

Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1) by Linnea Sinclair

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 336 comments I love Eve Kenin's books and the Grimspace series is great.

Deathbychocolate | 5 comments this is fantastic, i've never even heard of these. i'm in trouble.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL. Better get reading. ;)

I agree with Carolyn. Everybody should check out at least the first Sirantha Jax novel, Grimspace.

message 5: by AnnaM (last edited Jan 11, 2011 04:46PM) (new)

message 6: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments My must reads are the Liaden series books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Conflict of Honors
Agent of Change
Carpe Diem
Plan B
I Dare

There are more in the series but this is the core.

message 7: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair. I know the Dock 5 universe is more popular, but I have a soft spot for this one.

BTW: can anyone point me in the direction of how to do the link/book covers in posts?

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yep, Jadetyger, above the comment box, you'll see "add book/author". Search, choose "link" or "cover." Then hit add. :)

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 336 comments Ditto on Outback Stars.

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Jan 15, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'm sure a lot of you have seen this already, byt here's a link to where there are quite a few sci-fi authors listed, in addition to other SFR related info.

http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/

message 11: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I love the Galaxy Express! I think that was the first SFR site I ever saw.

message 12: by Hmr28 (new)

Hmr28 | 71 comments I'll second every book by Linnea Sinclair! Especially Accidental Goddess. I love all of her books.
Also Katherine Allred Close Contact and Close Encounters.

message 13: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments I second the Liaden Universe. There was just something so real about the relationships.

message 14: by Deathbychocolate (new)

Deathbychocolate | 5 comments wow, you guys have really come through. so many books. thanks!!!!!!!!

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 96 comments First, I would tell people to read anything by Linnea Sinclair. (I also have a soft spot for Games of Command!)

I also really enjoyed The Key by Pauline Bard Jones. I plan on reading Girl Gone Nova soon.

I don't know if you consider The Iron Duke sci-fi, it's actually steampunk, but it was fantastic!

Beyond the Rain by Jess Granger and Parallel Attraction by Deidre Knight are very good sci-fi Romance, with an emphasis on the relationship over sci-fi aspects.

message 16: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Jackson | 42 comments I Am Number Four.
YA, but I still enjoyed it. Lots of action. I found this book hard to put down. I'll call it sci fi with romance elements, but there's definatly a love theme going on. Now I wait for the movie. :)

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Let's see if I can do this book add thing and make it work.

The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald Triple on THE OUTBACK STARS. This is a fantastic military SFR novel! Terry Myell is one of my fave SFR heroes EVER.

Games of Command GAMES OF COMMAND Three words. Admiral Kel Patton. *sigh* (Ok, maybe that was four words.)

Cordelia's Honor CORDELIA'S HONOR or more specifically the last part which was originally BARRAYAN.

Lucy in the Sky If you read erotica SFR, Barbara Elsborg's LUCY IN THE SKY is a very funny, sweet, sizzling story with a fabulous hero named Three.

I've heard great things about Pauline Baird Jones work, and I've purchased three of her novels, but haven't got to them yet.

Blown Away And DL Jackson's *waves overhead* has a recent "explosive" SFR novel (with two stories) out.

message 18: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Actually the second half of Cordelia's Honor was BARRAYAR, which can still be purchased as a separate book. The first half is Shards of Honor.

Together they and Outback Stars make up my favorite SFR stories.

I think I'm the only person in the SFR circles who didn't really care for Games of Command.

I have Pauline's stories, and Lucy in the Sky, in my TBR also.