Mr. Seibert's Reading Class discussion

TKM Chapters 3-4

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Seibert (new)

Mr. Seibert Seibert (aseibert) | 67 comments Mod
Hey everybody--I hope you're having a good night. Great job with the first round of posts. Definitely feel free to respond and build off of what each other are saying. I'm really glad the gentlemen are involved now! You're adding a great and new perspective to the conversation.

message 2: by Mr. Seibert (new)

On page 27, what does the interaction between Scout and Calpurnia tell you about Calpurnia's personality? What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspective about the Cunninghams?

message 3: by Mr. Seibert (new)

On page 33, Atticus wisely pushes Scout about her day at school when he says: "You never really understand a person until you considere things from his point of view" What does Atticus mean by this statement? Do you agree or disagree with him? Have you ever had someone who you didn't like or understand until you thought about things from their point of view?

message 4: by Mr. Seibert (new)

At the end of chapter 3, Scout is angry because she has to go to school when the Ewells all are "let off". Atticus argues against Scout, saying that it would be silly for people to force people like the Ewells to attend school. Do you agree that people like the Ewells should not have to attend school or not?

message 5: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Q1

The interaction between Scout and Calpurnia shows that Cal's personality is furious and demanding.The way she stop Scout from talking back to her in the kitchen when she smacked her.We know that she is a tyrannical person,which means she uses power oppressively and unjustly.

message 6: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Q2

When Atticus said the quote"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view",that meant that Scout will never realize how a person feels inside until he has experinced it or felt the pain someone has inside.Yes,I do agree with Atticus.Yes,when I was little my friend had problems at his home and I didnt realize why my friend came to school sad everyday.

message 7: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments 1st question:the scene in the kitchen between cal and scout,shows that cal is considered of others feelings.her back ground of being perseived as ignorent and illiterate,she knows she is different and so is walter and she does not like it when african americans are judged on what they do and how they act (because they were not properly educated) and they may be the same case with walter and the other cunninghams

message 8: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Q3

Yes I do agree with Atticus on this one because the Ewells really dont care for there education.Burris Ewells only went to school the first day.Also Atticus said that the Ewells has been the disgraceof Maycomb for three generations.It would be difficult to force kids to go to school if they only been like twenty-five times out of there lives.Thats not even half the time you go to school in a year.

See you all tommorow!

message 9: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments question 2:atticus's state means that u never know why people act a certain way talk certain way or walk a certain until you think about their background adn learn more into peoples lives and issues its our version of saying dont judge a book bye it cover i agree with this statement.their has been multiple ocaasions wherei wondered why people do things like y one friend i always wondered why he was making all the wrong choices and being completley out landish util i learned he had problems at home poverty and abuse so i helped him in my best way.in this experience i have learned that dont make an impression off of first glance always look twice to be sure!

message 10: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments question three:i agree then a again i dont.i believe that people should have a choice to go to school and learn because if people do not want to learn they are just come to school and do nothing and distract other people's learning experience but i also believe that people should be forced to go to school long enough to see if they have intrest in t or will ever gain intrest also to see who likes challenges and who likes to ease through so we can come up with a way where we dont have to force people just want to come

message 11: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 27, what does the interaction between Scout and Calpurnia tell you about Calpurnia's personality? What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspec..." Well, at the beginning of the story, Calpurnia seem strict towards Scout. I believe Calpurnia wanted Scout to be more mature like her brother, but Scout is only in the first grade, and I think that's why she began to change her attitude toward Scout. Though, according to the story, Calpurnia and Scout seem to have a pretty close relationship. I say this because Scout doesn't seem distant from Calpurnia, and Calpurnia try to help and guide Scout to be a young lady and understand her surroundings, but its so hard to teach a first grader such a thing that an adult can understand better. I also believe Scout and Calpurnia have an understanding and respectful relationship. For example, when Scout gets in trouble, her punishment by Calpurnia is to write a sermon out the bible and write the alphabet. Scout does have an attitude doing this; however, Scout does what she have to do and try not to let Calpurnia know she was upset. Their relationship kind of reminds me of my relationship with my mother, but I can talk to my mother more than Scout talks to Calpurnia. I respect my mother's wishes if though they are against my wishes and respect her as an adult and my mother. For example, my mother is asking me to wash the dishes. I really do not want to do the dishes, but I am going to do them because she is my mother and I have to obey her. In the story, I know Calpurnia did not grow up in a rich home like many other people in Maycomb County. Calpurnia had to work hard all her life to get where she is now. I believe her reaction to the Cunninghams was based on her own background affected her perspective of the Cunninghams because she can remember how she struggled like the Cunninghams, but tried very hard to overcome the obstacles. I can definitely relate to this because I have been in a situation where I just wanted to give up and not go on. Though, I took my bad experiences to my advantage and became stronger because of them. I believe this is one of the lessons Calpurnia is trying to get across to Scout, but is trying to do so in a different way.

message 12: by Shyen (new)

Shyen Hardiman (ShyenHardiman) | 56 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 27, what does the interaction between Scout and Calpurnia tell you about Calpurnia's personality? What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspec..."

From my view it seemed as if Calpurnia's personality is...like a dictator or very bossy and fierce. The way she acted toward Scout proves my point. She likes to overrule people.

message 13: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 33, Atticus wisely pushes Scout about her day at school when he says: "You never really understand a person until you considere things from his point of view" What does Atticus mean by this..." The meaning of this sentence made by Atticus is that no human will ever understand someone else until you experienced what they have experienced. This means that someone's perspective about something will probably not be the same like yours because that person has not been where you have been or had that type of life experience to understand where you are coming from. I remember a song made by T.I., and he mentioned that he can't understand or believe in the same thing as others because he hasn't had the same life as that other person. Besides, people in general only learn lessons and who they are by going through life experiences. Not everyone will go through the same thing because that is what life is. Everyone is not the same in this world. You may have the same qualities with a person, but that doesn't mean you have that same mindset as that person. That's why humans are so unique is because of our differences. I do agree with Atticus. I say this because I have experienced this sentence in real life. I met a person last year that I past judgement on. This young lady wore tight clothing and had different colors in her hair and did not act like a young lady. Therefore, I constantly talked about how she need to get her act together and realize that her education is more important than what male is looking at her. So there came a time when I had to work with her. I dreaded working with her because I thought she would not pay attention and I would end up doing all the work. Well, I was all wrong! This young lady was smart as she could be and much more. She contributed so much knowledge to the table it was unbelievable! I finally had the guts to ask her about her lifestyle and she told me how her dad and her mother past away. Her older sister takes care of her and doesn't do a good job at it. She try to get attention from others because she doesn't receieve it at home. After this moment, I gave the young lady all the attention she possibly needed. I always commented on her new coats and shoes. I did whatever I could to show her that she was appreciated from other people. I learned so much by dealing with the young lady. After last year, you could not buy me a million packages of cheese sticks to hear me past any more jugdement on another person. As a result, I do agree with Atticus also because you can understand and relate to a person if you just try looking at how they came to their conclusion on a certain subject.

message 14: by Shyen (new)

Shyen Hardiman (ShyenHardiman) | 56 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "At the end of chapter 3, Scout is angry because she has to go to school when the Ewells all are "let off". Atticus argues against Scout, saying that it would be silly for people to force people lik..."

I do not agree with this one.I believe that everybody should go to school and get an education. If you have an education you will have a better life. Even though you cant force them to go to school, you can still try and "sneak" in some type of lesson in here and there.

message 15: by Shyen (new)

Shyen Hardiman (ShyenHardiman) | 56 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 33, Atticus wisely pushes Scout about her day at school when he says: "You never really understand a person until you considere things from his point of view" What does Atticus mean by this..."

I agree with this statement. You can't judge or understand somebody until you put yourself in there shoes and walk a mile. You should put everybody's feelings and thoughts into consideration because you might now know what they have been through. I have never not liked somebody until i got to know them. I take what I hear and their actions I see into consideration and learn more about them each and everyday. I never judge a book by it's cover :)

See you guys tomorrow (if we dont have a snow day ) - Shyen

message 16: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "At the end of chapter 3, Scout is angry because she has to go to school when the Ewells all are "let off". Atticus argues against Scout, saying that it would be silly for people to force people lik..." You know what's funny? While reading that chapter, I was thinking of the same question and still this moment I cannot give a permanet answer. Therefore, I will conclude that I agree and disagree with this statement. I agree with the statement because you don't want to spend your time and effort on someone who don't want to learn or try to get their education. Though, going to school is very important even if you don't want to go. In addition to this, all children should want to go to school because that's how you meet new people and at times, you have fun at school. Though, all children do not see it the same way. If a child has the option to not wake up early in the morning to go listen to teachers chit chat about poetry and fractions, then 90% of the children will lay right back in bed. At some certain point, school is not made for all children. Children has to want to be at school and want to get their education. No human can force each other to do anything because at the end, that person who forced the other person to do something is going to feel like an idiot because that person still doing do like he or she said to do. As a result, I am not sure if the Ewells should or should not go to school because either way Ewells will not be happy and happiness is the only way any person can do well.

message 17: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 27, what does the interaction between Scout and Calpurnia tell you about Calpurnia's personality? What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspec..."
What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspective about the Cunninghams

The interaction between them tell's me that Calpurnia knows how to deal with these type of situations because they way Calpurnia reacted it seemed as if she had done this type of thing before. It also tells me that she is very serious, demanding, and determined. Atticus told Scout they were poor just didn't get hit as hard as the Cunningham, since the are poor to I think Calpurnia probably had an experience in which she was poor like the Cunningham people.

message 18: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments On page 33, Atticus wisely pushes Scout about her day at school when he says: "You never really understand a person until you considere things from his point of view" What does Atticus mean by this statement? Do you agree or disagree with him? Have you ever had someone who you didn't like or understand until you thought about things from their point of view?

He means that you won't fully understand someone until you are in their shoes. For instance, when Walter was at Scout house Walter pour alot of sryup on his food. Scout said something about it and got in trouble. I don't believe Scout understands fully what Walter is going through because she hasn't exspired it. I agree and well I don't really think I have had a person like that because I don't judge based on attitude.

message 19: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments At the end of chapter 3, Scout is angry because she has to go to school when the Ewells all are "let off". Atticus argues against Scout, saying that it would be silly for people to force people like the Ewells to attend school. Do you agree that people like the Ewells should not have to attend school or not?

No I don't agree that isn't fair, and it also cuts their famly limited. Everyone needs an education if they want to make it in life. The Ewells should have the same treatment as everyone esle in Maycomb. The Ewells need intelligence like everyone esle.

message 20: by Deandrea (new)

Deandrea Williams | 9 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 27, what does the interaction between Scout and Calpurnia tell you about Calpurnia's personality? What do we know from Cal's background that you think contributed to her having this perspec..."I think that on page 27 lead me to believe that maybe she was in a situation like Scout was.Then she tried to teach Scout what she had learned.I actually inferred that she did care about Scout even though Scout thought otherwise

message 21: by Deandrea (last edited Jan 12, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Deandrea Williams | 9 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "On page 33, Atticus wisely pushes Scout about her day at school when he says: "You never really understand a person until you considere things from his point of view" What does Atticus mean by this..."I do agree with Atticus to a limit because you only see things out of your perspective, but when you look from another perspective you get another insight in which causes you to think differently.

message 22: by Deandrea (new)

Deandrea Williams | 9 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "At the end of chapter 3, Scout is angry because she has to go to school when the Ewells all are "let off". Atticus argues against Scout, saying that it would be silly for people to force people lik..."I wouldn't force them to go to school because they need to learn the lesson why school is important.I would actually try to help them understand why school is important.Maybe then they will then have an open mind.