Spinward Fringe - The Official Group discussion

Character Discussion: Favourites, Requests & Outrages *Spoilers Allowed*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Randolph (last edited Jan 11, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Randolph Lalonde | 125 comments Mod
Which characters are your favourites? Which do you despise? Who do you want to see more of? Did something happen to a character in the books that you want to talk about?

Rambling, ranting and raving are absolutely welcome!

RL

message 2: by Scheherizade (new)

Scheherizade Mq | 29 comments A part that made me 'utilize my new Kindle in a techno geek way' - I have actually marked/highlighted the passage with Buster so eloquently describing Ronin (made me snort): "He's a friendly mystery wrapped in a weird little wise package. It's like flying beside a Zen master who's one bottle short of a six pack." Everytime I read it it makes me chuckle!

message 3: by Randolph (last edited Jan 15, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

Oh My God, I forgot I actually wrote that...

That really IS funny!

RL

PS - Congratulations on the new Kindle. :D

message 4: by Thewick (new)

Thewick | 5 comments I have found my new Kindle is dangerous...I discovered this series and promptly bought the stories and am now missing a week of my life. I spread the disease to a friend of mine too...

Seriously though, I would never have discovered spin ward fringe if i wasn't browsing on my kindle so I am thankful to come across it.

One of my favorite characters was Collins. What can I say I liked the bad guy and he was generally pretty sane compared to his fellows.

As far as the good guys are concerned I am an Oz fan...he kicks butt...

message 5: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments Have to say.. I would be VERY hard pressed to pick "just one" of the crew as a favorite seeing as how I've managed to grow quite fond of 'em all!

message 6: by Thewick (new)

Thewick | 5 comments although I do admit that the medical abilities of the vacsuits to put into stasis seemly deep characters to be quite infuriating. You think your favorite is dead and get so mad you cant read for a week...then you discover after you start reading again that your angst was all wasted...

message 7: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments Thewick wrote: "although I do admit that the medical abilities of the vacsuits to put into stasis seemly deep characters to be quite infuriating. You think your favorite is dead and get so mad you cant read for a ..."

ROFL I KNOW....:glances at Oz: But it makes for GREAT tactical surprises..

message 8: by Randolph (last edited Feb 24, 2011 07:29AM) (new)

Aaaahh, the spinner in the twist that was inspired by early episodic space operas like early Flash Gordon. Medical technology can make fantastic saves today, and I'm sure it'll only get more extreme in the future - especially once the researchers who are working on the stasis problem get the details sorted out. I can't make a claim to using the concept to prove anything, however. I just like the drama of a twist.

Here's something from an imaginary tactics manual:

If you find yourself combating a foe with advanced life saving technology, aim for the head. Shoot for the brain in particular. If you fill someone's cranium with holes and their medical technology rebuilds the organ itself, then your foe will most likely be revived as a drooling idiot with no memories or combat ability. Feel free to drag them to the infirmary so they can be added to the organ bank. Medics will thank you. If you fill their abdominal cavity with holes, death or permanent disability isn't certain.

If you find that your foe revives himself after several shots to the head and has the presence of mind to grin at you before attempting to take his revenge, then you should run. You've most likely stumbled upon a framework soldier with a built in memory restoration circuit and our scientists are working feverishly to discover a way to permanently destroy one using conventional weapons. So far, dematerialization or matter to energy converters are the only known methods of destruction.

End of excerpt from imaginary manual.

I've actually cut scenes where characters explain this stuff to each other because it always slows things down and they generally end up being surrounded by comrades who have the same information. The sad thing is that I knew I could only play the 'Oh, he was only in stasis while little nano surgeons made repairs,' trick so many times before it got really tired. To be honest I think I've played all my tokens for that trick, so I won't be doing it for Broadcast 7. At least, not as a plot twist.

Funny thing, the whole life saving technology theme could be turned into a new version of 'rock paper scissors'.

Vacsuit beats Headshot.
Headshot beats Stasis.
Stasis beats Vacsuit.

Hand symbols: Upright V with 2 fingers for Vacsuit. Gun gesture for Headshot, Flat hand (just like paper), for stasis indicating 'flat line'.

Well, enough rambling for me... time to get back to work on Broadcast 7!

RL

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 16 comments OMG! Can I stop laughing now?! Vacsuit ... Headshot ...Stasis! ROFL!!!! Love it. I'm picturing actors doing this behind the scenes, between takes while shooting the tv show/movie.

message 10: by Thewick (new)

Thewick | 5 comments I could just imagine myself making the same mistake major Cumberland(iirc) did, I mean when you finally bring down a monster of a man in an armored vac suit, and you watch him die drowning on his own blood, you tend to assume that the end of it.

If you were trying to fool us RL, well I can say you got me hook line and sinker. And I cheer when Oz came back and also kinda felt pissed Cumberland got cheated as a result, but all is fair in love and war.

I also think the Triton crew understanding that stasis could bring them back sometimes, would when facing another enemy with similar capabilities already know that SOP would be to double tap the head, just to be sure.

As far as beating a framework, well the Child Profit got taken down hard...After seeing OZ die for a bit, I hope RL that you dont take Jake down the way you did the Prophet...

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary Proctor | 14 comments Thewich said: "kinda felt pissed Cumberland got cheated as a result.."

I couldn't agree more. I really like it when people come over from the "Dark Side" and join forces with the good guys like the slaves and the soldiers from earlier. He seemed pretty sharp and had hoped he would make it through. As you said though..All is fair..

message 12: by Randolph (new)

To be honest, I liked Cumberland too, but that was the point. People had tried to take the Triton before, and I didn't just want to do the same thing over again, so I decided that I'd tell that story from the incursion forces' perspective. Cumberland was the hero in that story, and I wrote his entire part twice. By the end I really didn't want to kill him off, but that just told me that I was really close to accomplishing my goal: creating a likeable hero out of a villain.

Really glad I pulled it off!

RIP Cumberland.

RL

message 13: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments The thing about villains is that they're not ALWAYS the incredibly evil, stomp puppies and drop-kick babies type that we encounter so much of in other, similar, stories. Sometimes the villain is just someone who merely believes in the rightness of their cause and has the willingness to see that it is promoted. This in many ways is a harder villain to portray.. in any other circumstances, he would be seen as a hero and cheered onward. It's all really in the eyes of the beholder. You did a great job with Cumberland... even though he was one of Galactic Regent's flunkies, he could have been one of us too :)

message 14: by Scheherizade (new)

Scheherizade Mq | 29 comments Randolph wrote: "Aaaahh, the spinner in the twist that was inspired by early episodic space operas like early Flash Gordon. Medical technology can make fantastic saves today, and I'm sure it'll only get more extrem..."

Please, please, PLEASE! be putting stuff like this in a central place for future publication!! This is absolutely priceless!!!!!!!

message 15: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments Now that I've finished the last (current) book of the series (Boo! Hiss! LOL) I find myself returning to a couple of chapters. "Ayan Rice" in Broadcast 3:Triton is at once very touching and bittersweet... the closure that I'd been looking for since their separation, but a definite sense of loss and sadness. It's only with very well written characters that I find myself making such an emotional connection.. and so I have to say "Well Done!" :)

message 16: by Randolph (new)

Scheherizade said: "Please, please, PLEASE! be putting stuff like this in a central place for future publication!! This is absolutely priceless!!!!!!!"

Well, it's looking more and more like the encyclopedia is going to be a real thing. For now, some of those bits will be posted on the blog so people who don't like forums can see them. The encyclopedia, however, will be what television writers call: "The Series Bible" that goes over all the rules of the technology, established locations, characters, time lines and other important facts of the universe that can't be altered. I'm going to be re-writing the encyclopedia for myself, so I'll probably enlist a little help to get it ready for public consumption. Keeping the whole thing under wraps would just be cruel. Also, it'll be essential to the RPG.

Another aid that will appear in the 2.0 versions of the Spinward Fringe books is the Glossary and Character List. I've been quietly wishing I'd started doing that with Broadcast 2 and up. Now that I'm going to go over the books one last time then get them professionally edited, I think it's a perfect time.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd bother to get most of these projects on the rails if it weren't for people asking for them, so thank you very much for bringing it up!

Griffin said:
"I find myself returning to a couple of chapters. "Ayan Rice" in Broadcast 3:Triton is at once very touching and bittersweet..."

I'm still amazed when I hear about people connecting to the characters I've put time into. Ayan was / is one of those characters I can just keep developing, and I'm especially happy to hear that people feel attached to her because she and a few of the other female characters seem to have taken over at least 2/3rds of the Rogue Element Trilogy (Broadcasts 5-7). I didn't plan it that way, her and Ashley just seemed to have charmed / bullied me into writing them in as opposite spectrum leads!

Thank you for the compliment. I also see that sort of thing as a challenge, though. Spinward Fringe suffers and benefits from the "Top That!" issue, where I don't think I've done well until the latest book is somehow better than the one before. Good thing I like a challenge!

Anyway, back to work on Broadcast 7!

RL

message 17: by Michael (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Michael Morrissey | 1 comments I love this series after i got my kindle and discovered them i read threw the series in a week. british colonies have been mentioned are there any american colonies?

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (kahoko) | 1 comments I loved the first three books (First light chronicles), really got to know and love the characters and the ship. Unfortunately I guess I am in the minority who wanted that to continue and not this sudden change of location and characters with the Spinward Fringe series. I am trying, really trying to read the next book (Resurrection) , but it just not clicking. Anyways, I want to thank you for the first set of adventures. Maybe I need to put it down and come back to it later.

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith K (gyrhed) | 54 comments For me there just seemed to be a gaping hole left where Jonas got cut off at the end of FLC. His time saving the Triton was too short for sure. I liked how you saved his glass for posterity (did it survive all the battles?) Oz dying... Just KIDDING!!!... that left me peeved for about 10 mins and then found out he was ok... Whew!!... was gonna have 2 freak out for a few. Almost had tears in my eyes when Ayan died in Jakes arms... was very well written. Looking forward to more insight into Larry/The Butcher. And Minh.... what a funny character you have there. Has left me ROFL so many times... I actually cheered when he was alive!! That he managed to come through the destruction of the station left me rereading his chapter (3 times). When I finished FLC I could see in my head about 30 directions you could have gone with this story and so far you've taken them all... good job! Will be buying 7 when it comes out.

message 20: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt | 7 comments Just got to the part in Triton where the orginal Jonas (or at least the one that was presented as the original) just sacrificed himself. Intellectually, I can see why you did it as a writer, but as a reader, it was definitely a throw the nook (very carefully) down on the table and yell wtf? Still reading of course. I have to see how this ends. Btw, I saw your vacsuits on the Nova Science Now program -- Can we make it to Mars? I just about geeked out when I tried to tell the hubby about it.

message 21: by Randolph (new)

The vacsuits were on Nova Science Now?

- Oh, and about the Jonas appearance in Triton, there's tightening up in how that event is described going on in a current edit, but it comes out to the same result. There's a long term effect to that whole instance.

Thank you very much for picking the Nook back up, I promise it'll be worth it!

RL

message 22: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments I too, can see a reason behind killing off Jonas and Ayan the First, but yes, I had to make sure to put my own Kindle down very carefully at those points too :D

message 23: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt | 7 comments Randolph wrote: "The vacsuits were on Nova Science Now?

Something similar, yes. The episode about making it to Mars (currently streaming on Netflix) shows off a similar space suit. Basically, the idea is that instead of pressurizing the suit, you apply pressure to the astronauts skin. The suit is skin tight without being too revealing and is reinforced with red fibers. The woman who is in charge of the project can walk around, go up and down stairs, and they actually showed her playing golf in it. There is a stiff backpack component that the helmet and airsupply attaches to and rests directly between the shoulder blades.

message 24: by Randolph (new)

I actually saw that or something almost exactly like it in development a couple years ago when I was researching the vacsuits. There are so many different ways to approach the same problems on paper, and some of them were pretty spectacular.

After a lot of research I sort of determined that the space suit would look a lot like a wet suit in 40 or so years, and the tech you're talking about takes it most of the way there. Really interesting stuff.

The vacsuits are, of course, a further extrapolation of a lot of the research I managed to do thanks to the JPL and NASA mostly, with a bit of style tossed in later.

RL

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments For those that are curious I'll save you some searching. You can check out the vacsuits and their designer here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/secretli...

Pretty cool but I'm wondering how they will handle the transition from the suit body to the helmet. The suit maintains pressure on the skin that will have to be maintained by air pressure in the helmet. Maybe the air pressure in the helmet will equal the pressure exerted on your skin by the suit body making this simpler than it seems?

message 26: by Scheherizade (new)

Scheherizade Mq | 29 comments Mark wrote: "For those that are curious I'll save you some searching. You can check out the vacsuits and their designer here: ....

That is really cool. Thank you for posting that Mark!

message 27: by Griffin (last edited Apr 21, 2011 03:16AM) (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments Amazing... I'm thinking there's probably going to be some sort of attached collar assembly to allow linkage between the helmet and suit.. or perhaps it will be a lot like the suit/headpiece worn by the character "SnakeEyes" in G.I. Joe (the weird full body suit/headpiece with an odd medieval-looking visor attachment?)

See: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-...

message 28: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (everlight) | 10 comments Mod
As I said in my intro, I love Oz and Minh. And Ashley. I'm giving myself permission to go all girly here, so bear with me.

*Ahem* I will be mad if Ashley and Minh don't hook up. Randy is aware of this, I threaten him about it all the time. I don't think he takes me seriously though. Damn. :P lol

Also, I WANT MORE OZ!!! He is, by far, my favourite character. The best way I can think of to describe him is "space cowboy" and he is amazing. Also, he is so hot in my head. Just sayin'. hahaha.

Aaaand, finally, Zoe is so damn cute! :D I love her. Randy did a great job getting into this little girl's head.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments Two weeks of my life gone and what do I get? A cliffhanger of the worst sort. Eviction from the Triton!!!! Stupid Amazon and their free book section got me in a big way. Hmmm whats this Origins? Bam! A week and a bunch of books later, much swearing and head shaking along the way. Then I read the whole lot again. To pick up anything I missed.

It's a toss up between Mihn and Oz for my favorite chars. I don't know why but I keep waiting for Chief Grady to grin and vent the whole crew into space: I just get a wierd vibe from him. I absolutely love Ashley the way she is, how spirited she is.

I have at least one thing I have to ask. Not that I am going to argue the reasoning of Jonas jumping out the air lock. What I want to know is how. Obviously the receivers in them are coded or Jake would have gone boom with Jonas and Wheeler. With that being said why did Jonas's activate. The problem being, all framework must have that built into them; if they were to detonate a framework solder on one of their ships wouldn't all of the others go BOOM as well just because they are close together?

I'm sure I will have more I just can't think of it. Very much looking forward to the next books.

message 30: by Randolph (new)

Really glad to hear you're enjoying the books, welcome to the crew!

Put simply, the chemical explosives implanted in Wheeler and Jonas were unique to them because they weren't Frameworks - they were the originals. More importantly, they were former Vindyne prisoners, and those explosives were placed as safeguards.

In the original writing of Broadcast 3: Triton, Wheeler's chemical reaction was supposed to trigger Jonas' through skin/sweat contact but, as that labours the scene too much, the final edit will stick with the limited time and death grip combo that forces Jonas to take the problem out through the airlock. The scene will be simplified a little, but arrive at the same result.

In Broadcast 4: Frontline the framework Wheeler thinks he detected an explosive compound in his legs, so he has them dematerialized. What I never had the opportunity to reveal is that his scan was a misinterpretation, and he didn't have to remove the better part of his legs, it was all paranoia on his part.

Thank you for asking, I hope that clears that whole issue up. Oh, and if you happen to meet a Vindyne prisoner - take at least 10 long strides back.

RL

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments Wow quick response Thanks.
I wasn't saying Jonas and the original Wheeler were frameworks. Just that Jake found something on his scan and the framework Wheeler was told about the original going BOOM and removed his lower half. So I guess I assumed they were rigged to blow as well.

message 32: by Griffin (new)

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 47 comments Randolph wrote: I didn't plan it that way, her and Ashley just seemed to have charmed / bullied me into writing them in as opposite spectrum leads!

Ayan and Ashley don't charm and bully to get their way... you should know that! Ayan simply engineers a solution to the problem at hand (that being a lack of feminine leads to offset Jake/Jonas et al) and Ashley pilots us all onto the course we should be following! Not our fault..simply the result of us all not being the Chief Engineer or Pilot of the Ship :)

message 33: by Bkw3960 (last edited Jun 08, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Bkw3960 | 1 comments First off, I have to say, I really enjoy the story so far, but the one person I want to like the most, but can not force myself to like is Ashley. She literally crawls into bed with Finn just before he nearly kills himself to save the ship. When he finally wakes up, she is one of the last to see him. When he finally gets to take her on a "date," she basically ignores him the whole time. What else was the poor guy supposed to say at the end of the night? Then she just blows him off and falls for Minh? I like Minh, but I can't help but feel bad for Finn. I can't say I blame him for avoiding the bridge as much as he has. I honestly don't know what I would say to her if I were him.

message 34: by Keith (new)

Keith K (gyrhed) | 54 comments I rambled alot in my first post so here goes:
Alaka Murlen- Nefalli- we need to see more of this gentle ogre.
Agameg Price - Issyrian - that maddening corridor fighting abstract... there has to be more there
Minh - the crazy little zen master - what else has left it's mark on his psyche from so much time alone
Just the 3 I would like to see more of.

message 35: by Gary (new)

Gary Proctor | 14 comments Randy, Does Amazon give you any kind of demographic breakdown of the purchasers? It seems like sci-fi is mostly dominated by male readers, though there are plenty of female writers. Even here in this group is mostly male. Your series, I feel, is very female friendly and would think it might attract a more balanced readership.

message 36: by Randolph (new)

To protect readers, Amazon doesn't give us the kind of information we could use to compile demographics myself, but they're not at the point where they can reliably provide that info in summary either. They're making sure that the accounting and distribution is working well at the moment (from what I know). My info is about 5 months old.

I've seen fantastic response from women and men. One of my first dedicated readers was the first person who I've ever met with a double doctorate in Engineering. I didn't even know that was possible until she donated a part of my rent when I was first starting out and in dire straits. She refused a refund a year later.

I'm glad you feel that the series is female friendly. I hope it stays that way, actually, and I try to write strong female characters who have a few layers instead of damsels in distress. I prefer distressing damsels anyway.

I'm also lucky enough to have a local writing group with 4 women and 2 men (myself included), so the PoV is slightly askew, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Their also wholly unaffected by the fact that I do what I do full time - they're great at suppressing ego growth without even trying, and they happen to be very talented.

I don't know what the ratio is for my books though, I'm just glad that there seems to be a good mix. I'll tell a story to anyone if they want to be entertained.

message 37: by Jack (new)

Jack | 23 comments Griffin wrote: "Amazing... I'm thinking there's probably going to be some sort of attached collar assembly to allow linkage between the helmet and suit.. or perhaps it will be a lot like the suit/headpiece worn by..."
I am thinking maybe something along the lines of the helmut design used in the movie"Lost In Space" (albeit an awful movie -- great concept on armor).

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly (rapixal1) | 3 comments Characters...I agree about chief Grady. That guy gives me the creeps...there is something going on there and maybe it has to do with the time he spent on earth and the weird vibey yoga master stuff. He is entirely too friendly and has very easily inserted himself into an important position. I think he may be a spy or a framework of somekind for Eden. I adore Ayan,Ashley...of course Minh...Oz is Very hot....of hv a terrible crush on Jacob/Jonas. I had 2 stop reading to be able to stop hyperventilating when Oz supposedly bit it! RL, after loosing Jonas and then that little trick with Oz, I was cussing you! LOL you write characters that certainly get into my head. Can't wait for 7 and Expendable Few. Molly

message 39: by Keith (new)

Keith | 5 comments I was thinking about who was messing with Eve and thought is was Gloria until I reread 6 for a third time. The reason I changed my mind is because of Gloria sings a song "Birdhouse In Your Soul". That is a song that Alice and Jonas talked about in Origins. Therefore, my conclusion is that Alice is the one messing with Eve. She can get into Eve when she is sleeping. Alice is trying to disrupt Eve/ Regent Galatica because she sees the immoral things that they are planning.

message 40: by Keith (new)

Keith | 5 comments I was thinking about who was messing with Eve and thought is was Gloria until I reread 6 for a third time. The reason I changed my mind is because of Gloria sings a song "Birdhouse In Your Soul". That is a song that Alice and Jonas talked about in Origins. Therefore, my conclusion is that Alice is the one messing with Eve. She can get into Eve when she is sleeping. Alice is trying to disrupt Eve/ Regent Galatica because she sees the immoral things that they are planning.

message 41: by Stian (new)

Stian (staindapain) | 13 comments Randolph wrote: "if you happen to meet a Vindyne prisoner - take at least 10 long strides back."

I don't think taking 10 steps back would really help... From what i remember (can't be bothered actually checking)just jonas made the triton rock around, even with the inertial dampeners. I think that just one of those could take out the better part of New York city.

I think you idea with Alice messing with Eve has a point. I have been wondering what happened to her for a while. Was she affected by the Holocaust virus? If not why? What will her purpose be while she is away? Where will she go?
Now that i think bout it, it may actually make sense that she went to bother Eve. If i remember properly, Eve was getting annoyed as there was something in the systems she couldn't catch as it was moving around to fast using some super computers (how large would a super computer be then if a peta-byte can be put in a jaw bone?) to help her move around faster.

I think that Larry is working with Leland to keep the loyal people who will fight for the Triton aboard and get rid of those meanies!

I also think that the message sent to earth at the end of part 6 will play a somewhat important role in the future. Weather it is a new ship that is up to date with earth, or just some helping money and technology, r even just a few skilled people to help out. I really don't know but i really hope they get some help (not saying that restraining Larry will help.)

When Ashley is given the fitness pill, what is the point of her not just taking the pill? If Larry was trying to poison her, he would notice she didn't drop down dead when she ate it...

Liam Grady I don't think is a bad person. Why? When we first saw Liam Grady, it was from his point of view. That would be a very obvious time to notice that If he really wanted to kill all the people (which he could very well have done when he was outside in the vacsuit) he could have just left them there. There were also many times when he could have just messed up the reactors in the center of the Triton and just handed her over to the enemy (yes he would be able to do it as he set them to breakdown when the abandoned ship).

Some questions I would like answered...

- Why is earth just sitting there waiting while billions of people are dyeing out there?
- Is earth setting up some colonies massive distances away, to far away for others to find but earth technology enables them to?
- [fallowing last one] How has earth been able to reamain in just one solar system for so long with out over crowding, other groups have like over fifty solar systems that are very crowded.
- What is the point of paying that much to join the West Watchers or whatever it is (100,000 credits). Those people just about rule all goverments and solar systems. They could get around with out paying for anything.

message 42: by Jack (last edited Sep 26, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Jack | 23 comments Megan wrote: "What is the point of paying that much to join the West Watchers or whatever it is (100,000 credits). Those people just about rule all goverments and solar systems. They could get around with out paying for anything."

Here is a poor analogy but anyway:

Think of what happens if you don't pay for the registration fees for your car (USA rules). If caught driving by law enforcement without your tabs, you are issued a citation to appear in court and possibly pay a hefty fine -- at which point you still are required to pay the registration fees.

NOW:

Imagine that if you are driving and the same law enforcement officers see you driving without your tabs, your car and everything inside -- including you -- is vaporized without warning. No questions asked, no quarter given.

Are you going to pay the tab fees now? ;-)

message 43: by Stian (new)

Stian (staindapain) | 13 comments Yes...
Harsh people. Scary how they control so many people with something as simple as fear...

message 44: by sean (last edited Sep 26, 2011 09:44PM) (new)

sean (livelifeonthefringe) | 6 comments Keith wrote: "I was thinking about who was messing with Eve and thought is was Gloria until I reread 6 for a third time. The reason I changed my mind is because of Gloria sings a song "Birdhouse In Your Soul". ..."

That thought was in the bac of my mind (I havent reread 6 yet) but now it sounds very realistic I agree w you

message 45: by James (last edited Sep 29, 2011 06:06PM) (new)

James (cord66) | 41 comments Keith, and others,

I think you are missing what Alice is doing. She's not trying to screw with Eve, she's trying to TEACH Eve how to merge human/ai feelings, just like Alice had to do.

it is my guess, that as Alice gets Eve to a point she is able to understand both sides, Eve will be able to explain to the Eden Fleet how they can better interact with humans, and she'll be able to stop the fleet from helping RG and will, in the end, join up with Triton. But then again, I'm totally speculating and RL might consider this a terribly obvious move :)

The interesting questions are that missing engine thing with the future messages. and is it the human eating alien that is going to destroy the galaxy or is it Eve and Eden going on an extermination of humans rant, unless Alice can show Eve "the way of being human" as Jonas taught it to her?

Megan, paying West Watch is how the people running it, Gabriel and company, are making themselves uber rich. It's a con, give us 100,000 cred, we'll keep eden fleet from killing you. oh, and over time, pay us even more to 'cleanse' yourself, we'll let you go live on Eden (reminds me of Scientology). It is a cult after all.

as to Liam, recall that when he first arrives, there's a line that hints at his concern the Eden Fleet was Earth ships "how did they get here so soon" or "find me so quickly" something like that. It struck me at the time, that while he may be an Engineer and monk, he likely did something horrible on Earth, like kill his teacher, steal something major, etc. I believe he's actually in hiding/on the run. It'll be interesting to find out.

message 46: by Donnie (new)

Donnie (Donnie4) | 3 comments .........OMG to many awsome characters in this series ive lost count of the number of scenes that have made me laugh Minh especially.

Cry end of FLC when i thought Minh died when anya died 1st time and almsot 2nd time when i thought oz died and jacob when they were taking over the triton from wheeler. i lvoe wheeler as a char but i absolutly hate him if ya know what i mean. then theres the shock value AKA the slowly put reader down jump up hit something while loudly cuseing when something like say wheeler shooting jacob and "killing" him happens and then jumping and shouting for joy when he regenerates and take over the triton are when you find out Minh is alive.....omg i cheered when i found that out:) ive never read a series that pulls me into it and makes me feel so attached to the chars.

Oz just is jsut kickass u gota love him.

Jason and Laura make an awsome couple. speaking of couples Minh+Ashley thats all there is to that no idea how r way he ended up with pam they just dont match imo. Vercille was pretty cool.

Grady is like a sane, older, wiser version (maybe) of minh in a way what with him always giving out advice and the yoga master stuff he has going on never thought aobut him being creepy but after reading the stuff others said bout him i got some thinkin to do.

Ashley is ultra friendly and easily falls in love and from what I see shes kinda a cinderella type going from slave to princess and finding her prince charming (MINH).

Alice thats whos my fav sassy little sister type that keeps jonas in line while she was in AI form at start and backs up jacob while a human i cant wait to find out wahts going on with her.

ahh to much to go thru in one go my heads overloading going thru all the books in my head while i try to come up with my fav character. above ranting helps. Ill come back later and finish up maybe clean my ranting up some. :)

message 47: by Keith (new)

Keith K (gyrhed) | 54 comments Going back to the female friendly topic. I have to say that I feel comfortable enough with this series that I am reading through it with my 11 year old daughter and she is loving it!

message 48: by James (new)

James (cord66) | 41 comments on the Eve/Gloria/Alice question, i've just completed re-reading B6, and now I recall why I was so sure it's Alice that RL has manipulating Eve.

For starters, when it all starts, it sure sounds like it's Gloria coming back. But then, as you read the section where the alter ego has Beaudric kill the child profit, there are a few hints it must be Alice.

mainly: "she was humming somthing, and after a quick search through the archives, she realized it was an ancient song called Birdhouse in Your Soul"

As I recall Alice learned that from Jonas, who learned it from Minh. It may even have been one of Jacob's only memories when he awoke, I can't quite remember now.

then shortly after this part, was the discussion of how Eve couldn't connect to the RG network, and had to spend an hour and a half rebuilding a wireless link, then finding that network had a virus causing everything to be slow and other issues. And the whole line about how "Gloria" kept moving around, perfectly hiding in such a way Eve could only catch a peripheral sense of the "alter ego".

I seriously doubt a fragmented Gloria consciousness could do all that, and it's precisely the sort of thing I'd expect Alice to do once back in AI form, taking the fight to RG directly.

What would be nice, or interesting perhaps, is if as she moves forward, the Order of Eden finds the First Light and Alice is able to get control and become to the FL as Lewis is to the CD. That would be pretty cool, have the FL show up at Tamber and give the team there a real base to do some serious damage.

message 49: by sean (new)

sean (livelifeonthefringe) | 6 comments I would love that to happen, it would b amazing but I can never tell w RL he always keeps me gessing I can't wait for b7

message 50: by Jack (last edited Oct 13, 2011 04:14PM) (new)

Jack | 23 comments Triton logo test:
I have an image I laid out in my graphic program, but since I can't paste it here, was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable site to post that image to.

Edti: Okay figured out how to use THIS site to showcase it. Added a photo (hope you don't mind Randolph, that I used the original from your book cover). I do not plan to utilize it any form other than here. Promise. :-)

« previous 1