You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > March nominations - transformation **NOW CLOSED**

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I know we've only just chosen our February read, but I was a little behind last month.

Time to nominate books for March. The theme I have chosen is transformation. Feel free to suggest themes for future selections in the ongoing Theme thread here in the Nominations folder. I will pick from them each month and surprise you with my choice.

Please provide all of the following in a comment below:

-The title
-The author
-Brief description of the book

IF YOU DON'T PROVIDE ALL OF THE ABOVE YOUR NOMINATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED

**If you nominate a book it is assumed that you are willing to lead the discussion, which is easy and painless - we promise!**

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have seven days to nominate. Nominations will be accepted through midnight GMT, Tuesday 18th of February.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
One of the most controversial women of history is brought to life in Donna Woolfolk Cross's tale of Pope Joan, a girl whose origins should have kept her in squalid domesticity. Instead, thru intelligence, indomitability & courage, she ascended to the Roman throne as Pope John Anglicus.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (divadog) Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalian
Explores issues of gender. About a woman who falls in love with a man who later tells her he was born as a woman and is considering a sex-change operation. Very interesting and well written.

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Emily, I want to read Pope Joan too. I have purchased it but still haven't found the time to read it. I hope you like it! That means I have a good read ahead too....

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 116 comments Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut. I think this qualifies as transformation.

Galápagos takes the reader back one million years, to A.D. 1986. A simple vacation cruise suddenly becomes an evolutionary journey. Thanks to an apocalypse, a small group of survivors stranded on the Galápagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave new, and totally different human race. Here, America's master satirist looks at our world and shows us all that is sadly, madly awry -- and all that is worth saving.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) Donna, Galápagos sounds fascinating. I have never read anything by Vonnegut.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 116 comments Susan wrote: "Donna, Galápagos sounds fascinating. I have never read anything by Vonnegut."

I haven't read it either!! LOL!

message 8: by Stacy (last edited Jan 12, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Stacy | 5 comments I would like to nominate Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.
"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day of January 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of l974..." To understand why Calliope is not like other girls, she has to uncover a guilty family secret and the astonishing genetic history that turns Callie into Cal, one of the most audacious and wondrous narrators in contemporary fiction.

message 9: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Middlesex has been on my bookshelf, unread, for aaaaages!!

message 10: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Hi All. Need the author and the book descriptions in order to accept your nominations.

message 11: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Galapagos is one of the most fascinating books I've read in recent years. It was a runner up in one of the monthly polls nearly two years ago and although it didn't win, a couple of us read it and compared notes. It's darkly humorous, with lots of meaty topics to discuss. (Mind you, Middlesex is very good as well.)

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) See now how tastes differ. I really wanted to like, and tried to read, Galpagos and Middlesex, and couldn't finish either. Too weird for me.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (divadog) I read Middlesex right after I read Trans-Sister Radio. I enjoyed it. I haven't read Vonnegut in years, and Pope Joan sounds good too! Lots of fun choices.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 4 comments How about My Name Is Memory, where a young man and a young woman are reincarnated over and over again throughout hundreds of years. He remembers who he is, while she doesn't, and he searches for her in each lifetime. A great book.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) choices are good, more choices are better :)

message 16: by Susan (last edited Jan 14, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Susan (chlokara) Cindy, My Name Is Memory sounds really good.

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte How about Orlando by Virginia Woolf. Intended to be read as an alternative biography of Vita Sackville-West, Orlando is born as a man in the 16th Century court of Queen Elizabeth I and ends up as a woman in 1928. I have been meaning to read it for a while but haven't yet got round to it!

message 18: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen Gross | 1 comments Cindy wrote: "How about My Name Is Memory, where a young man and a young woman are reincarnated over and over again throughout hundreds of years. He remembers who he is, while she doesn't, and he..."

Who is the author? That sounds like a great read.

message 19: by Allen (new)

Allen | 1 comments Galapagos, Orlando, and Middlesex all sound like great choices. I'm glad I joined this group tonight.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.