Book lovers discussion

Random > Smart Phones

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Does anyone have a smart phone? I just got a blackberry and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good apps to download? I'm new to all of this lol.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I even blocked all texting from my phone, so no, but I have to support the stupid things all the time. The coolest app I've seen is the star map. You can hold your phone up & it will show you the stars with names or draw lines with the constellations. Very cool.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 4 comments Now that, Jim, is the only idea I've so far heard that might just persuade me to buy a smart phone!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
That sounds cool, Jim, although living in England it's normally too cloudy to see the stars! So far I have an app that tracks how far you go when you are cycling. You can change it to walking or running or a bunch of other stuff. I will be dusting off my bike again once the weather picks up and it will be nice to know what kind of distances I am covering. I guess I will need to get some kind of holder for the phone so I don't drop it and break it.

message 5: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I have a blackberry, Jo, but I am clueless in the app world.....my daughter has an iTouch and she seems to know a little more about apps.....I'll ask her. What is the name of your tracking app????? That sounds like something I'd actually use! I did find a Borders app for downloading ebooks to my phone....I haven't used it yet, but did download the app and plan to in the future. I think my kids would LOVE that star app....have to look into that.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
My tracking app is called Endomondo but I haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it is. The is also Adidas Micoach which is similar and tracks your movement using gps if you are outdoors. I haven't used that either. Let me know if you use one of them!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) This is all so scary to me, but I may be upgrading from my tried and true ordinary cell phone before leaving for Boston in 2 weeks so I can still be somewhat in touch with the world. I'm trying to decide between iphone or Droid. !

message 8: by Alese (last edited May 09, 2011 03:08AM) (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 7 comments I"m getting a droid in july... so excited.. hope it's pink.. so close.. yet so far away :(

message 9: by Jordana (new)

Jordana (jordanam) | 2 comments Diane D. wrote: "This is all so scary to me, but I may be upgrading from my tried and true ordinary cell phone before leaving for Boston in 2 weeks so I can still be somewhat in touch with the world. I'm trying to ..."

Diane: I had a Droid and thought it was the best thing ever; that is, until I got an iPhone. IMO, the Droid does not even come close to the iPhone (and I REALLY loved my Droid!).

message 10: by Diane (last edited Mar 06, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Thanks Jordana. Now that Verizon has iPhones, I'm glad I have that option. I'll let you know if/when I take the leap! I also read that iPhones are easier to learn than Droid ... any thoughts on that? I'm not very tech sav-vy.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 2 comments I've never been much of a phone app aficionado. One that I really liked, however, was koi pond.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Wow, hard to believe I've had my droid for 2 months now. Love it pretty much.