Delirity discussion

Authors D-E > Ruined - S. Elkeles

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jan 10, 2011 09:21PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles How to Ruin My Teenage Life (How to Ruin, #2) by Simone Elkeles How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation (How to Ruin, #3) by Simone Elkeles

message 2: by Heather (new)

So, I bought Ruined (How to Ruin, #1-3) by Simone Elkeles , which has all 3 books in in 1. I had fun reading these. Amy is admittedly, incredibly annoying. She's one of those characters that are very immature and has to learn how to grow up. There are times when she does and times when she backtracks into being her. This will probably annoy a lot of people. There were times when she did, but at the same time I liked that the character didn't have one moment that made her alter for good and suddenly change herself completely. It's a process that has to be worked on. However, she was still annoying when she regressed.
For me, I was more interested in Avi and Israel. There aren't a lot of YA books that deal with Jewish, ethnic or religious, people or that talk about life in Israel. Amy has a lot of sterotypes in her head and it's interesting to see her confront them. It's obviously a discussion on a fairly fluffy level, but I'm glad someone's even trying.
Anyway, as to the quality of the books, they're not PC or LP quality at all. These were her early books. The others are a lot better. These are fun (if you can get past Amy - Carrie, you won't) and while there's some important issues in the background, they don't hit you like her other two series do. You don't cry for her characters or just feel devistated (except for a minor charcter that manages to get you). With these you just read for fun and to get to know a little about how some people in Israel live.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela B I find it interesting how different the covers are...the 3 in 1 looks like it's going to be...well..not YA...

message 4: by Heather (new)

I love the cover though. It's more in line with her other books.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments The 3 in 1 cover looks so much better. That original cover with the pink pants looks like a frumpy mom going on vacation.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela B I like the cover it just seems rather adult to me...I haven't read any of the books so maybe it really fits lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/50...

Covers 54 and 55. It was an istock photo apparently.

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments It's sad that the guy's face was cut off on the other one! He's sucha cutie.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Lol Heather. I think I will pass on these then.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments That's funny. I love finding books that share the same basic photo.