Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > author's birthdays January 16-22...Sontag, Milne, Poe, Cisneros, Lord Byron

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Susan Sontag-January 16th

A.A. Milne-January 18th

Edgar Allen Poe-January 19th

Sandra Cisneros-January 22nd

Lord Byron-January 23rd

Notes...

I've not read any Sontag or Cisneros

I loved the original A.A. Milne's as a kid.

Not read Lord Byron

We have a separate Poe thread, I remember, but doesn't some weird guy come and put flowers on his grave every year?

message 2: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I like Byron.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i like milne.

message 4: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Myles wrote: "I love the Winnie the Pooh books, I never got into his verse though. I remember just flipping through the pages looking for eeyore and tigger."

Ditto, and I thought his mysteries were lame.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes, someone visits Poe's grave every year but they didn't come this past year.

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 10, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Do you think they'll show up next year? Or is it all over and nevermore?

I grew up with Milne's Pooh stories and liked them, although I haven't looked at them in a long time. Sandra Cisneros I had not heard of before, but she sounds interesting from what I could find on Wikipedia. Poe I like, mostly for the short stories.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We'll see, I guess.

I've read and enjoyed Sandra Cisneros' short stories but I've never read one of her longer works.

I grew up relatively unexposed to Winnie the Pooh. I think my mom didn't like Eeyore.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
I've read some of Sontag's nonfiction, and own several of her nonfiction books. I haven't read any of her fiction. She was a brilliant teenager - her youthful diaries are ridiculously precocious. She also got married (as a teenager) and had a child very young before going on to become a lesbian.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments After sixty years of annual visits, Poe's admirer has not shown up for the second year in a row.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's a shame, Sarah Pi. I wonder if he died. I wish someone would take up the mantle.

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments maybe next year he will have ten visitors.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Who would want the scrutiny of being followed so they could find out who he was. A great tradition while it lasted.

message 13: by janine (last edited Jan 19, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertain... - article from today's paper.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hee. This letter was in today's paper. I thought it was a little on the snarky and competitive side for someone who is the head of the organization. I picture some competing Poe Society firing back any day now.

Regarding your story, "Mysterious Poe visitor doesn't show for 2nd year" (Jan. 19), the only mystery is that it has taken the old boy this long to figure out that he needs to toast Poe's birthdays in the city where the happy event took place, which would be, let me see, not Baltimore but, oh that's right, Boston! Rumor has it that the Toaster, having recently moved, has been spotted walking from the Frog Pond on Boston Common, which Poe loved to joke about, over to the recently dedicated Edgar Allan Poe Square, in search of 62 Charles Street South where the great American author and critic was born.

Here's an idea: the Toaster should celebrate Poe's birthday here in Boston and then get down to Baltimore every October 7th to commemorate the fact that when Poe died there during what was supposed to be a brief stopover, he was buried in an obscure spot without fanfare or attention.

Paul Lewis, Boston

The writer is chairman of the Edgar Allan Poe Foundation of Boston.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The Poe toaster didn't show up again this year. Three years running.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertain...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.