Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > JANUARY ~ Slave To Sensation

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh
This is the place to gather to talk about the January group read Slave to Sensation

How are you finding it? What do you like (or not)so far? Is the heroine kick ass? Got a great Alpha male? (sample Q's to get you thinking! I've not read this so they may not all be relevant!)

If you've already read the book feel free to jump in too!!

Please be respectful of spoilers - do a warning if you are posting one!

(so since Jen is absent and it is like a week past January I thought it would be a good idea to just create the group read threads for January b/c I really want to discuss.)

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) So I just started this and it is just okaiexz so far, but it is getting a bit better. I think that POSSIBLE SPOILER I don't like that the Psy are a race that don't feel anything. That is a aspect I really don't like.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Mariya, that bothered me too. I also was disturbed at how the Psy children are reaised with such an emotional distance -- no wonder they have problems with rage and killers! But, without spoiling anything, it is a myth the Psy race carries with them that they have no feelings, they built this myth in reaction to their problems with rage and anger (i.e. too much feeling). But anyway, it is a myth that the Psy tell each other and the world that they do not have feelings. Keep readig! :)

message 4: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin I have to say, I loved this book. There were quite a few disturbing aspects about the psy society, especially, like Regina said, the raising of their children and also how they deal with the Psy that don't conform.
I did really enjoy the love story between Sasha and Lucas though. It was very sweet to see how they both realize, just how much they mean to each other.

I hope it's getting better for you Mariya!

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) It was sweet. I also enjoyed the aspect that there were different shifters. The psy part was very unique.

message 6: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin Yes, the different shifter were very interesting, even though I have to say that I'm not quite used to shifters changing into prey animals yet.

That's what I love about Nalini Singh, she is very good at building very unique worlds.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yes, that is odd. What is the point? LOL.

message 8: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 175 comments POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!!!

I'm on chapter 10 so far and I'm really loving it. I like this new Psy idea, but I agree I don't like how cold and unfeeling they appear to be. But I'm presuming that the whole point of the story, that Sascha isn't what she's supposed to be. I like the idea of the connected sexual dreams that she and Lucas are sharing as well. I'm hoping they do get together in real life as well - I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!

message 9: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) yea. I like Sascha and Lucas and I knoe this is PNR and all and that it will have a HEA but part of me when reading is scared that Sascha will be found out that she is not as heartless and cold as the other Psy.

message 10: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
I started this a while back and only read 20 pages, it's now in my to pick up again when I'm in the right mood pile. is it worth my while, does the book get better??

message 11: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) I am like 50% in and for me it is just okay. I am not liking it as much as everyone else seems to. I don't know if I will finish it or not. I may try a couple more chapters to see.

message 12: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) So I think I will put this book down for a while, b/c I am also not in the mood to read it right now when I have some January releases I want to really read at the moment, so hopefully when I come back to it I will be more into it.

message 13: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 175 comments @ Mariya, That's probably a good idea, as you won't enjoy it if you're not really into it. I'm really enjoying it at the minute - must finish it this week!

message 14: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 175 comments Finished this up tonight and really liked it, although I did want more details about how the murderer met "their" end - I'm a bit gruesome like that :P I liked the whole shapeshifter society in this one and how they were completely loyal to their pack and alpha. Am definitely going to read the rest of this series.

message 15: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 104 comments I honestly thought this was going to be so-so and just like so many other PNR. I really liked this book and can't wait to read the rest of this series. I'm really glad I actually picked it up. I have to say I did figure out who the "killer" was...but then I read a lot of mysteries as well. If you ever manage to figure out an Agatha Christie you're doing well!

message 16: by Jlyates (new)

Jlyates | 37 comments I have read the whole series up to date, but I won't give anything away, except that the books get better and better as the series grows, as do the characters.

Singh builds a GREAT world and let the characters develop; such as Sascha, I LOVE her, and I really loved the scene with the cubs. If you have read it, you know what I mean and if you haven't you will be looking for it.
The first book is difficut, as she is building the world, giving the background of the Psy race. But the later books delve more into the characters relationships of the HEA and the previous characters.
If you have the Magical Christmas Cat ] The Magical Christmas Cat (Includes Breeds, #17; Psy-Changeling, #5.5; Murphy Sisters, #2) by Lora Leigh anthology, and have not read it yet, do NOT read it until you have read the first three books of the Psy/Ch series.
Also if you are into L. Leigh's series, Breeds, don't read the book unless you have read up to Mercury's and Ria's story. It is the same in the Holidays anthology, don't read Leigh's story unless you have read that far. Hot for the Holidays (Includes Breeds, #20; Mageverse, #9; Stormwalker, Prequel) by Lora Leigh

But do continue reading the Psy/Ch series, it is well worth it, my favorite is the third one,
Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh

message 17: by Jlyates (last edited Jan 29, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Jlyates | 37 comments Vannessa wrote: "Finished this up tonight and really liked it, although I did want more details about how the murderer met "their" end - I'm a bit gruesome like that :P I liked the whole shapeshifter society in thi..."

You will get that in the following books, Each one has a part where they will remember that event, especially in Carressed by Ice and in Dorian's, when he meets his HEA Hostage to Pleasure by Nalini Singh . I think after that there is no need for anyone to remember the event.

I really LOVE this series, I am re-read Bonds of Justice Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini Singh right now, it kept calling to me so I had to obey and re-read it (I can't count how many times I have read Carressed by Ice)

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyi) Slave to Sensation is great, I absolutely love Lucas and Sasha, they have such great chemistry.

I'm just about to start the third book Caressed by Ice, and it's true Jlaytes the books do get better as they go along.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (greyeyedlux) | 3 comments I have to say this is the book that began my love affair with Nalini Singh. Sasha and Lucas are definitely one of my favorite pairs in the series. She is a strong female character and he is the kinda of guy that would make any women want to purr. I will say however that if you don't like this one as much keep reading because they do get even better. The second one for me though has to be my least favorite, but I like the others who have read the series love Caressed By Ice, but my favorite has to be Branded by Fire. Can't wait for Kiss of Snow!

message 20: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubita) | 8 comments I'm so jealous of anyone who is discovering this book (and the rest of the series) for the first time. I read it ages ago and caught myself up on the series just in time to agonize over the wait for Hawke's book. The wait was made nearly unendurable because there were a couple books in the series that I didn't love. Play of Passion reminded why I loved the Psy-Changeling books in the first place, but Kiss of Snow still doesn't come out until March 31. And I have to agree with the love for Branded by Fire. I'm going to assuage my pain by reading Nalini's backlist titles. It won't be the same. At least Archangel's Consort comes out next month.

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie_r) | 127 comments I loved this book and was trying to catch up on some other series before going on, but I'm really excited to start Visions of Heat now.

Ruby -- Archangel's Consort came out this week! :)

message 22: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubita) | 8 comments No! I thought it was February! You must think I live under a rock! Get me to a bookstore!

message 23: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie_r) | 127 comments Ruby wrote: "No! I thought it was February! You must think I live under a rock! Get me to a bookstore!"

No way! Just wanted to make sure to give you a heads up. :) I have the Kindle version but haven't started it yet.

message 24: by Jlyates (new)

Jlyates | 37 comments I liked Visions of Heat, the fourth book, Clay's is the one that I didn't care a whole lot for. It's good,but just not up to par with the rest. So far none have taken Caressed by Ice's place as my favorite.

I won't give it away, but for those who have read the whole series, I keep wondering, what was going through Sasha's mother's mind at that last meeting.
And will we every find out the whole story of what happened between SD and the Psy?
It is going to be a LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG wait for May to get here, and of course, it has to be at the end of the month !

message 25: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubita) | 8 comments It is going to be a LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG wait for May to get here, and of course, it has to be at the end of the month !"

Ha--since I first saw it listed as being published in June, when I saw May 31 on Amazon, I had the opposite reaction. It was one less day I had to wait!