Grand Hotel
Red Dust
The Public Enemy
I Was A Fugitive From A Chain Gang
Little Caesar
Night Nurse
The Divorcee

message 2: by Moon (new)

Moon I love the version of The Three Musketeers that stars Gene Kelly. ^_^ There are so many wonderful stars in it and the Dumas story is just great material to work with anyway, so that's always good right?

And of course there's Gone with the Wind. :)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments My Man Godfrey
Bringing Up Baby
Wizard Of Oz
The Women
His Girl Friday
Arsenic & Old Lace
Mildred Pierce
Miracle On 34th Street
Meet Me In St Louis

message 4: by Manny (last edited Feb 23, 2010 06:40PM) (new)

Manny Pacheco (raideoman) | 1 comments MY TOP 10 (from the 1930's and 1940's)

Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
The Philadelphia Story
Mighty Joe Young
To Have and Have Not
Double Indemnity
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Fantasia
Maltese Falcon

*BONUS (lost gems)

Wonder Man (with Danny Kaye)
Lifeboat
Son of Frankenstein

Forgotten Hollywood Forgotten History by Manny Pacheco

message 5: by Laura (last edited Oct 30, 2010 09:31PM) (new)

Laura | 4 comments The Heiress
Best Years of Our Lives
Gone with the Wind
Rebecca
Notorious
The Lady Eve
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Laura
Jane Eyre (Orson Wells version)
The Magnificent Ambersons
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Those are just a few off the top of my head...

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments By the way, this video always takes my breath away. I wish TCM would show it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_fCRE...

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Gone with the Wind
Little Foxes
Wuthering Heights
Laura
Sorry Wrong Number
Stella Dallas
Alice Adams
His Girl Friday
Penny Serenade
Shirley Temple movies

message 8: by Robin (last edited Nov 01, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Prisoner of Zenda
How Green Was My Valley
National Velvet
Magnificent Obsession
The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer
Little Miss Marker
The Little Colonel
Shadow of A Doubt
The Big Clock
Monkey Business
Duck Soup
Little Women
Henry VIII Charles Laughton
The Gay Divorcee
It Happened One Night
Magnificent Obsession
To Have and Have Not
The Awful Truth
Stage Door
Blondie
Boys' Town
Bringing up Baby
Dark Victory
Gone With the Wind
The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
The Wizard of Oz
The Women
The Men
The Boy with the Green Hair
Easter Parade
I Remember Mama
Johnny Belinda
Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House
The Heiress
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
His Girl Friday
My Favorite Wife
The Philadelphia Story
Rebecca
Citizen Kane
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Little Foxes
Sullivan's Travels
Suspiciion
Casablanca
For Me and My Gal
Holiday Inn
I Married a Witch
The Magnificent Ambersons
The Major and the Minor
Road to Morocco
Now Voyager
Madame Curie
Shadow of a Doubt
The Song of Bernadette
Arsenic and Old Lace
Gaslight
Going My Way
Jane Eyre
Meet me in St. Louis
The Enchanted Cottage
Mildred Pierce
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
It's a Wonderful Life
The Postman Allways Rings Twice
The Razor's Edge
The Yearling
Ziegfield Follies
The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer
The Bishop's Wife
The Egg and I
Gentleman's Agreement
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Life With Father
Miracle on 34th Street
Secret Lives of Walter Mitty

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments A Gentleman's Agreement! DUH! I cant believe I forgot to list it! Thanks for posting such a thorough list.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I had time. I am sure there are many more, I haven't even scratched the surface.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Thanks for starting this group. I am a huge fan of movies from the silents through the 1940s.
I can't even start to list my favorite films but I can certainly tell you my top five:

Robin Hood
Laura
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep

That said, I'm sure I will think of another list of my top five!!!!! To use a cliche, they don't make 'em like they used to.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) That is certainly true, there was something about "black and white" that captured me from when I first saw Prisoner of Zenda with Ronald Colman, I was literally hooked. It is something about seeing something so unlike anything that is by today's standards contemporary, I still like my "old" movies. You have some good ones, Jill.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I knew I would have another top 5 movies after I posted my top 5!!!! I am adding to my list:

Flying Down to Rio
The Gay Divorcee
Top Hat
42nd Street
The Thin Man
Star of Midnight - this is a little known William Powell/Ginger Rogers film that is just delightful.

Oops, I guess that is a top 6 but there are probably 100 more that I really like...........and we haven't even started to talk about the low-budget gems!!!

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) ooh you got some good ones, thanks for updating. Anything with Fred Astaire and Ginger was awesome.

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Re: Astaire and Rogers. It was written somewhere that he gave her class and she gave him sex appeal.....whatever the case, they were magical.

Here is something I hate to admit.....I like the Nelson Eddy/Jeanette McDonald films!!! Obviously not so much for the acting or the stories but for those voices!!!! I remember the first one I saw...."Maytime". I was a teenager and it was on late night tv.....I cried like a baby.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, I like Nelson Eddy and Jeanette also, they were magical as well. That is a funny quote about Fred and Ginger. I loved their dance sequences, they were awesome.

message 17: by L (new)

L (lexlib) | 1 comments Well, if you're embarrassed to admit that you like Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald, I suppose I should be more embarrassed to admit that I wrote my undergrad thesis on Rose Marie....

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I love it, Lexi. Everyone always makes fun of me when I say I like Eddy/MacDonald. Now I know that I am not alone.

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) no you are in good company.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) No sense in being ashamed of what you watch. The camera certainly loved Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald. The Canadian Mounties was a good one, When he sings, when I'm calling you. . .

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I actually bought a CD of their songs!!!! I think my favorite is "Sweet Mystery of Life" from Naughty Marietta.
There was an excellent film on TCM tonight......."The Best Years of Our Lives" with Frederic March, Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, etc. I have seen it several times so I didn't watch it.....besides I was watching football!!! It is such a wonderful film....I believe it was named Best Picture from the Academy.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Never sat through an entire viewing of Best Years of Our Lives, maybe I thought it was a downer with Dana Andrews character. Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life is a great song. They had such an operatic quality to their songs. They were the perfect duet.

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Not to spoil the film....but it turns out OK for Dana Andrews in the end.
Speaking of Dana Andrews, a couple of weeks ago I watched "The Night of the Demon", a British film adaptation of "Casting the Runes". The name is misleading since it sounds like some schlocky second rate film....but it is directed by the great Jacques Tourneur and it is a dandy. More cerebral and leaves a lot to the viewers imagination except for the ending which was forced upon Tourneur by the producer. But even that doesn't ruin the film. Look it up....it is worth the watch. It also stars Peggy Cummins, who was teamed with John Dall in the cult classic "Gun Crazy". But that is another discussion!!!!

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I guess I didn't watch the Best Yeats of our Lives all that closely. Thanks for the update.

message 25: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1 comments Glad to have found this website, since I am a first time author, but super happy to find film lovers who love the Golden Age of Hollywood as much as I do.
Casablanca
The Postman n Always Rings Twice
You Can't Take It With You
Christmas in Connecticut
Dial M for Murder
are just a few films I am fond of.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Postman is good with Lana Turner, and James Garfield?
Sorry Wrong Number is a good one also, I think Barbara Stanwyck was in that movie.. Is Christmas in Connecticut the one with Bette Davis,I liked that one as well. Good choices. And of course, Casablanca, in the Austen group we are watching this one for the week of November 12, to next week. I have to reserve my copy at the library.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "Christmas in Connecticut" stars Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan and Sidney Greenstreet. It is a great holiday movie and the farm house is fantastic!!!

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I think Dyan Cannon did a remake of that one. I don't like remakes when the original actors are so talented. I may have to see Christmas in Connecticut this holiday season, Thanks, Jill.

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) It will be on TCM a few times during the season.....don't miss it. It is such a pleasant film.

message 30: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I don't have television, I will try to get it on DVD. Thanks again, Jill.