Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 1. The Darkness of Wallis Simpson by Rose Tremain
2. Other People's Children by Joanna Trollope

message 2: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 3. Good Hair by Benilde Little
4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

message 3: by Kataklicik (last edited Jan 23, 2011 05:38PM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 5. The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory.

About Mary, Queen of Scots, masa her exile in England. Tends to be repetitive tapi details about day-to-day goings-ons memang bagus.

6. Jeremy: The Tale of the Honest Bunny by Jan Karon, illustrations by Teri Weidner

One of two 'bunnyrabbit' books I had put aside to read, because of the fast approaching Year of the Rabbit. This one, kiddy book, but written by an author I like.

message 4: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 7. Watership Down by Richard Adams

The other bunnyrabbit book, read in conjunction with CNY.

GAAAAARRRRHHHHH apasal reviews kata bagusbagusbagus? Took me over a fortnite to finish it! GARRRRHHHH!

message 5: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:13PM) (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Kataklicik wrote: "7. Watership Down by Richard Adams

The other bunnyrabbit book, read in conjunction with CNY.

GAAAAARRRRHHHHH apasal reviews kata bagusbagusbagus? Took me over a fortnite to finis..."

Yup, me too. Picked it up just because most of the reviews said it was THE BEST THING EVAR! Review yg tak puji pun tak le kutuk, cuma kata "It was Okay". Kalau itu review yg paling teruk, mesti best buku ni kan?

WRONG! I gave up halfway, when they reached the new warren and met all those big bunnies. Maybe you have to be a bunny lover or something to appreciate this book.

The next time I'm having a book giveaway, this will be one of them.

message 6: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Heheh, actually bought this book in 2005 (okay okay I have a zillion unread books, tell me something I DON'T know) tapi malasnya nak baca sebab it was about rabbits... Now that I've read it, I'm wondering what's the fuss all about..?

message 7: by Juliana Es (last edited Feb 09, 2011 05:34PM) (new)

Juliana Es (julianaes) | 857 comments Mod
HIAPPP!!! HOW DARE YOU! (SLASH! ZASSS! ZASS!)

You all ni, memang spoiler betul la! I pun ada buku ni juga tapi belum baca lagi. Buku ni memang sesuai untuk pencinta arnab macam saya je.

Kataklicik wrote: "Now that I've read it, I'm wondering what's the fuss all about..? "

Janganlah cakap macam tu, kecik hati ;-(
**sobbing**

message 8: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Bunnybaby weiii, toksah lah kecik hati - baca dulu then tell us whether Watership Down is all it's made out to be :) lain orang lain padang :)

message 9: by Aidura (new)

Aidura (sofira) | 1472 comments Kataklicik wrote: "Bunnybaby weiii, toksah lah kecik hati - baca dulu then tell us whether Watership Down is all it's made out to be :) lain orang lain padang :)"

agree, agree

message 10: by Juliana Es (new)

Hee hee! Rileks laaa, gurau je.

Watership Down tu kalau di kalangan bunny lovers, memang amat digemari. Novel ini dah diadaptasi ke animasi juga, tapi animasi 2D je.

message 11: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Bunnybaby wrote: "Hee hee! Rileks laaa, gurau je.

Watership Down tu kalau di kalangan bunny lovers, memang amat digemari."

I don't know....it features rabbits, yes, but the story which sounds interesting was surprisingly boring. I'm not sure if even bunny lovers can get past that.

The only novel featuring animals that I like so far is Animal Farm.

message 12: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Bunnybaby, apparently the animated film (circa the 70s) was good, tapi BUKAN untuk bebudak. So if nak tengok dgn anak-anak, lupa kan saja....

Khairul, I HAVE NOT READ ANIMAL FARM!!! **digging a hole nak nyorok**

message 13: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 8. Ya-Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells

Following Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, this book tells of the how-when-what of the Ya-yas. Loved it because it underlines what I've always believed - that you need not be blood-related to be sisters. Others may not love it because the story's kinda syrupy.

9. The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill

KhairulH, I KNOW you've got this book. Go dig it out of your unread pile. It is REALLY good. The movie was good (oh, the countless times I've seen it!), but the book is BETTER.

message 14: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Will do! The movie is good but not exactly accurate. I don't think there was an American who escaped on a motorbike like Steve McQueen did in the movie.

message 15: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Nope, no Steve McQueen on a motorbike, in fact, the names are mostly (if not all) different than the true characters in the book. You may get a little wary of the zillion and one names mentioned in the story, but persevere :)

Steve McQueen sure looked yummy though :D even when he got tangled up in barbed wire at the end heheh

message 16: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 10. An Absolute Scandal by Penny Vincenzi

I've never heard of Penny Vincenzi, and only picked this book up because the publishers had adorned the front cover with a white ribbon (printed la, not real ribbon) saying "treat yourself to a Vincenzi". That, plus the blurb by the Daily Mail (or it could be the Daily Telegraph, I'm so malas to check) that says, "Addictive". Oooh, that one sure got me :)

Because if not for those two, I'd have given this one a miss. It's freaking 881 pages okay? Chick lit some more. Soiii la, sure die one, boring maaa! Yes, I occasionally read chick lit, but too much of it usually leads to an inevitable ek-eleh feeling, you know?

Tapi this one, is surprisingly good! Despite being sooooooooo tebal. Thing that bothered me is that it had some loose ends that need tidying up. Otherwise, good read. Now, someone PLEASE tell me why I've never heard of Penny Vincenzi? When apparently she's so popular in the UK? 13 books and counting? Heh.

message 17: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Because she writes chick-lit and you don't read chick-lit. Maybe that's why she flew under your radar all this time.

message 18: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 11. Kalimantaan by C.S. Godshalk

This book is REALLY good, TAPI it needs finesse-ing. Really. You need to get over the horribly confusing and disorienting 40-50 initial pages before you get to the good stuff (which literally then captures you and sweeps you away). Then you need to get over the myriad of Malay / Iban words that are NOT included in the glossary at the end of the book (you really DO need to understand these words to fully appreciate the nuances, and yes, I say this because I AM Malay). And lastly, you need to get over the many references of 'he' and 'she' which is confusing because there are a zillion and one characters and you're not sure to which character the author's referring to, which then leads to a whole lotta re-reading of paragraphs!)

Masalah terbesar bagi saya - kenapa la penulis ni beriya-iya dream up a fictional Gideon Barr when she could have written an epic novelisation of the Rajah Brooke himself?

message 19: by Fariza (new)

Fariza | 736 comments Kataklicik wrote: "11. Kalimantaan by C.S. Godshalk "

I saw this book once in the UM library. I try to cross-read because it seems interesting. After a few pages, a few flip, I conclude that I was wrong. It is not that interesting...

However, after reading your comment I know what is the problem. The problem is it is hard to understand. Hard for me.. haha

message 20: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Baca, Fariza, baca! It's really good!

message 21: by Fariza (new)

Fariza | 736 comments Yeah.. Kena selongkar balik library UM.. Masalahnya sudah tidak bergelar mahasiswa dan tak boleh pinjam.. Sekarang dalam usaha meminjam kad dari junior..

message 22: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 12. Legally Blonde by Amanda Brown

Betcha didn't know there's a book, 'kan? Movie was hilarious, but the book will only work on those who can identify with law school. Gelak golek-golek.

message 23: by Kataklicik (last edited Apr 04, 2011 09:46PM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 13. The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett.

"Eh, what you reading?"
"A story about building cathedrals."
**silence**blinkblinkblink**
"But IT IS AMAZING! Really!!"

BRILLIANT. Go read it. Really.

message 24: by Don (new)

Don Ariff (arkenseal) | 154 comments Kataklicik wrote: "13. The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follet.

"Eh, what you reading?"
"A story about building cathedrals."
**silence**blinkblinkblink**
"But IT IS AMAZING! Really!!"

BRILLIAN..."

Hey I heard the book's awesome...how would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?

message 25: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments On a scale of 1 - 10?

13 and a half.

:D

message 26: by Juliana Es (new)

Hai, bertuahnya jadi full time homemaker. Boleh baca banyak buku. Sigh.

message 27: by Yati (new)

Yati | 229 comments Kataklicik wrote: "On a scale of 1 - 10?

13 and a half.

:D"

Wah, seriously? I have the book but I keep putting it off. Sebab tebal sangat, susah nak angkut merata.

message 28: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments The library got it!

Someone is borrowing it at the moment and has renewed the book but never mind. My current reading pile is already as high as Fuji-san so I won't bother signing out the book for now. But it is good to know it is there.

message 29: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Muahahaha jgn terpedaya, duduk rumah ni tak semestinya ada time to read, Bunnybaby! This book took me a fortnight to finish, walaupun it was so engrossing. Kalau buku yang eccchhhh tu, toksah tanya la. Kengkadang baik ngelamun dalam kereta dengar radio whilst waiting for the kids... :)

message 30: by Kataklicik (last edited Apr 04, 2011 09:45PM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 14. World Without End by Ken Follett

Sequel to book no 13 (The Pillars Of The Earth). If I thought the first one was notoriously tebal, this one is longer. By about 200 pages.

I mean, when most of the antagonists have been killed off by page 900, what was Follett thinking when there was still almost another 120 pages to go? Garrhhh. Really. Still, it was a good read: however, maybe because this one also follows the same formula of the first book, it's a little predictable.

Still, good book!

message 31: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 15. Fat Boy Swim by Catherine Forde

16. The Gospel According to Judas by Benjamin Iscariot by Jeffrey Archer + Prof Francis J Moloney

message 32: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 17. Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

As with book no. 11 (Kalimantaan), I picked this one up in conjunction with the Sarawak elections. BIG mistake. Took me over a fortnight to finish, despite being such a slim volume. Boring GILA. At various points it had the potential to make it into my *gasp!* books-I-gave-up-on pile. (Except I didn't have such a pile. But I was close to building one, with this book as its foundation. Echhh)

This was my second Joseph Conrad. I don't think there'll be any others to follow.

18. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

Read in retaliation to book 17. Hardyharhar.

message 33: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 19. Burning The Map by Laura Caldwell

Started well, but grew persistently ecchhh.

(Lost my bookmark while at it. It had a couple of gambolling cherubs. So if you see it anywhere in the vicinity of Pantai Hospital Ayer Keroh, drop me a line. I rarely buy my bookmarks for this simple reason - they get lost so easily. But will I ever learn? Seems not. I've switched to a tag that came with my son's jeans. Sigh)

message 34: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 20. Pelangi Pagi by Khadijah Hashim

(Takdak dalam Goodreads database. Will add manually later lah)

I've forgotten how well Khadijah Hashim writes. This story, tak lah earth shattering etc etc, tapi very languid, very easy read.

message 35: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Kataklicik wrote: "20. Pelangi Pagi by Khadijah Hashim

(Takdak dalam Goodreads database. Will add manually later lah)

I've forgotten how well Khadijah Hashim writes. This story, tak lah earth shattering etc etc, ta..."

Saya pun suka baca karya Khadijah Hashim. Bahasa dia menyenangkan.

message 36: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Edit:

20. Pelangi Pagi by Khadijah Hashim

message 37: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 21. Sebongkah Batu Di Kuala Berang by Faisal Tehrani

I had great hopes for this one. But words fail me. This is a Faisal Tehrani offering? Almost impossible to comprehend.

Dry. Reads like an academic paper. Plot was nil. I can almost see the Tehraniyuns glaring at me with daggers in their eyes. So sue me.

message 38: by Juliana Es (new)

Not really. I don't think that this is FT's best work either. Quite disappointing. I can't help wondering if it's PTS's policy that made him write in such a way.

However, I can still enjoy some fragments of it (and hence the 4 stars).

message 39: by Kataklicik (last edited May 23, 2011 03:42AM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 22. A Doctor in the House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad by Tun Mahathir Mohamad

Oh ye gawds, took me 3 weeks to finish this tome of a book!

But - it was worth the read. Written in his trademark simple manner, this book is perhaps a little peek into the workings of Tun M's mind. Would love for the book to be more expansive (and if he would be more elaborate as regards the twists in his life!), but at a little over 800 pages, it sure is long enough.

I have always been in awe, sir; and I still am.

message 40: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 23. Merpati Putih Terbang Lagi by Khadijah Hashim

(Again, takdak dalam database. Will add later)

I LOVE KHADIJAH HASHIM! This one, pasal wakil rakyat yang tak buat kerja, orang kampung yang terbiar, merdeka yang tak terisi. NOT a love story :)

message 41: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Edit :

23. Merpati Putih Terbang Lagi by Khadijah Hashim

message 42: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 24. Laskar Cinta by Isma Ae Mohamad

Isma, gua tabik aaa cerita very the interesting one. Gaya penulisan very staccato, ala James Patterson 'gitu. But hok ending tergantung tu apa ceritanya..? Geramnya! Isma nak buat sequel ke? Trilogi? Siri? Aiseh!!

message 43: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 25. Waiting by Ha Jin

What is it about books that win awards aaa? Why do I feel unfulfilled when I read them? Is it me? Is it the book? Is it the jury yang too cerdikpandai for their own good? What? What?

message 44: by Kataklicik (last edited Jun 14, 2011 06:10PM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 26. Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer

Lord Archer can do no wrong. :) Loved this.

27. Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee

Another award winning book (the Hemingway Foundation / PEN Award) that didn't go down well with me. This story is grim. Grim grim grim. And it requires too much thinking on the reader's part.

(Was not exactly the right kind of read to bring along on a holiday!!)

message 45: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments I sometimes had the feeling that those books won the awards because no one could comprehend what the writers were actually talking about. You get what I mean? It gives some sense of grandeur, books that many people praise but hardly anyone read.

message 46: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

So these awards are pretentious? I KNEW IT!

message 47: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 28. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer

Read this only if you've read the full Twilight saga. Purists would love this offering, those with brickbats would say, "was this really necessary?"

It's a novella, people! A short story! Enough with the negativity!

message 48: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 29. The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan

I absolutely hate having to wait for the next instalment in a series. Like this one, it took some time before I actually got into the swing of things, sebab I'd forgotten most of the who why what established in the first book! (which is a mistake I won't make with the Heroes of Olympus series - dah habis publish semuanya baru go out buy the darned series heh)

message 49: by Kataklicik (last edited Dec 19, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 30. Summers of the Sisterhood: The Second Summer (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants #2) by Ann Brashares

31. Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood(Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants #3) by Ann Brashares

32. Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood(Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants #4) by Ann Brashares

To be honest, I thought the series should have stopped at book 3. I thought the ending then was good. But on reading this 4th instalment, I came to realise that I didn't want the book to end! How corny is that? (And, ackkkk there's a 5th book? I'm divided on this heheh)

By the time this 4th book comes around, you realise that the Septembers have done a whole lot of growing up since the 1st The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Inasmuch as I've enjoyed the journey, I worry about how my 14 yo daughter will perceive this growing up bit, especially since this 4th instalment is full of feelings for boyfriends etc. Or maybe that's just me being the over-protective mum.

message 50: by Kataklicik (last edited Jul 19, 2011 10:33AM) (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments 33. How to Train Your Dragon (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #1) by Cressida Cowell
34. How to Be a Pirate (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #2) by Cressida Cowell
35. How to Speak Dragonese (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #3) by Cressida Cowell
36. How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #4) by Cressida Cowell
37. How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #5) by Cressida Cowell
38. A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #6) by Cressida Cowell
39. How To Ride A Dragon's Storm (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #7) by Cressida Cowell
40. How to Break a Dragon's Heart (Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III #8) by Cressida Cowell

These books are HILARIOUS! And such FUN! ;p

Son no. 4 has never been much of a reader, but was recommended this series by the guy at Bookalicious (Summit USJ). Memula tu skeptical (there's a movie out, sama nama as the first book) so bought him the first one dulu (the boy's not a reader, takut he lose interest). But he finished it pronto, and asked for the rest. He finished the whole series in a fortnight!

So that got me curious lah, and yes, really, the plot has it's twists and turns (cliffhangers also) the writing is witty (oh sooooo hilarious, memang gelak golek-golek) and the illustrations give the whole thing an added dimension.

LOVE these books! Walaupun dah nak masuk the 9th instalment (usually series get stale after awhile, but this one really is going strong still) am on the lookout for the next book :D

« previous 1