Patricia Briggs Fans discussion

Off Topic > totally and completely off topic

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments Ok, this is totally off topic, but I'm going to throw it out anyway.

Next weekend in Williamsburg is Marscon (sci-fi convention) at which Jim Butcher is going to be the guest of honour.

Does anyone else here ever attend sci-fi conventions? If so, which ones?

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments For instance, last year Tanya Huff was at a con that I attended (ok, it was one that I attend off and on anyway, but still) just so that I could indulge myself and be a total stalker girl. :o) I love a couple of her series, and wanted to get lots of autographs. I did eventually get all my books autographed. And she took to sending me on errands, since I WAS kind of stalking her to get them all (um, ok, it WAS only like 23 or so books) autographed.

I've also been to cons where Anne McCaffrey was in attendence. And also Spider Robinson and L. Sprague de Camp and, and, and. . . Well, you gues get the idea.

So do any of the REST of you indulge in this stalker like behaviour of a beloved author?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 574 comments Mod
Ann, I used to go to Comic-Con in San Diego every year when I lived there. I miss it. I have also gone to a Farscape and a Hercules/Xena convention.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 88 comments I've gone to a Star Trek convention, convinced a friend to go with me. There were Klingons there and I swear one lady said it a deep Klingon-ish voice to a friend, "I'm going to the bathroom." My friend turned to me and said "What the hell have you brought me to?" I loved it, Tuvak, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, the beauties from the original series who still looked great in their 60s were there. I can't wait until another one comes my way.

Wow. You haven't lived until you have been to a Star Trek convention....

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments lol, have you seen Nichelle Nicols? She is STILL totally georgous. My daughter took a photograph of her about 2 years ago, and her skin have very few wrinkles in it. She's just a great lady.

Erin Grey (Wilma from Buck Rogers) is another one that's still beautiful.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 32 comments I dont know if everyone knows this yet, but Patricia Briggs is going to Comic-Con in San Diego this year!!! If you are going, make sure you bring your Mercy books :)

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments Gah, I'd give my left arm to go. Ok, maybe not my left arm--I need it too much for my various hobbies (most of which deal with, to quote my hubby, "chopping big pieces of fabric into little pieces of fabric, then going crazy and sewing the little pieces back into big pieces." (I quilt.) I also knit, crochet, tat, do beading, costuming. . . Basically, if it involves fibers, I enjoy the hobby.

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 7 comments I REALLY want to go to comi-con!!!!!

message 10: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn | 26 comments Two that I am familiar with are Dragon Con (mostly from pictures Sherrilyn Kenyon has posted online) and Kenyon Con, her own convention that she holds in New Orleans every year.

OMG, I might have to try to go this year!

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments DragonCon is just HUGE. We went one year, and you could barely MOVE, there were so many people. Something like 10k or more people attending that year.

Altho I WOULD love to go again, I just don't know when/if I'll be able to manage it. But it was fun--and I DID get Anne McCaffrey to autograph my first edition Dragonflight AND first edition Restoree. I even have the 2 issues of Analog I think it is, that were where Dragonflight was FIRST published.

I don't get to as many Cons as I'd like to--mostly a matter of lack of funds. But there are also time constraints. My Mum has Alzheimers and dementia, and I am the closest one to her (she's in a nursing home 8 miles from my home) and I have to go in and check on her. I try to get by every day, but don't always make it (snow, snow and MORE snow right now.) She's in Hospice right now, but the extra attention seems to be helping her, so there is at least a possibility that she'll come back and hang on for another few years. She's only 83. And yeah, for MY family, that's young. My oldest relative lived to be 106.

Ann, hugs to you!