Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Megan Amber 2011

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments 1. Magician Master (AB)
2. Silverthorn (AB)
3. A Darkness at Sethanon (AB)
4. Shadow of a Dark Queen (AB)
5. Rise of a Merchant Prince (AB) by Raymond E Feist

Fantasy series. Pretty standard fantasy fair. 2/5

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments 6. Rage of a Demon King (AB)
7. Shards of a Broken Crown (AB)
8. Krondor: The Betrayal (AB)
by Raymond E Feist

9. Shopoholic Takes Manhatan
10. Shopoholic Ties the Knot
by Shophie Kinsella

Chic lit. A fun read, but nothing profound or educational. These are perfect beach reads. 2/5, not because I didn't like them, but because they lack the depth of true literature.

11. Ice by Sarah Beth Durst (YA)

Interesting Fairy Tale adaptation for teens based on "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." Interesting story and characters. Mostly a love story but well crafted with interesting ideas about science and spirituality. 3/5

12. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott (YA)

2.5/5 Teen chick lit, like a less literary version of Sarah Dressen's books. Well written with a realistic voice, but without a lot of thematic depth. About a girl raised as a theif coming of age.

13. Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard (YA)

1.5/5 I feel almost bad giving this book so few stars because it is pretty much what I expected. "Modern" girl goes back in time to 19th Century England. The protagonist's voice is forced and unintelligent. This bothers me because she is supposed to be an honours student. Hubbard tries far too hard to make protagonist's voice modern with tacky chat slang and the witty discussions between the love interests are anything but witty.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments 14. The Boyfriend List (YA)
and
15. The Boy Book (YA) by E. Lockhart

4/5 I love how well Lockhart writes teenage girls. These books were sweet and smart and funny. They are about a teenage girl coming to terms with who she is. Although the protagonist isn't as clever as Frankie Landau-Banks and the plot isn't as original, it is truer and has more heart. Lockhart is becoming one of my favourite YA authors.

16. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

4/5 Well written, interesting historical fiction novel. It centers around the building of a cathedral, but is about the many interesting people who take part in its creation.

17. The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III

2.5/5 This novel wasn't as good as House of Sand and Fog. The characters did not have as much humanity and the pacing of the novel died half way through the book. I feel like Dubus was just trying too hard. What mad House so fantastic the unexpectedness of the reader's attachment to the flawed characters.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments Note to readers- I am a sucker for YA fairy tales. Please keep this in mind when reading ratings of my books.

18. Austenland by Shannon Hale (YA)

3/5 stars. Adorable modern day Austen novel with just the the right amount of self-effacement and charm.

19. Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George (YA)

3/5 Fairy Tale adaptation of Cinderella. Entertaining.

20. Peeled by Joan Bauer (YA)

Young Adult novel introducing readers to the importance of honest newspaper reporting through entertaining mystery.

21. The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer (YA)

3/5 Companion to Life As We Knew It. Young Adult post apocalyptic story. Fairly originial and well written.

22. Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones

2/5 It was definitely cheesy, but still enjoyable. It is paranormal romance/ modern day "fairy tale" adaptation.

23. Songs of Love and Death: All Original Tales of Star Crossed Love George R R Martin.

3/5 Book of Short Stories taking advantage of/poking fun at the paranormal romance Craze. Some of the stories are definately better than others, but an entertaining read none-the-less.

24. The Absolutely True Story of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (YA)

3.5/5 Story about a teen boy growing up on a poor reservation. Schools should read more books like this instead of novels like "Indian in the Cupboard."

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments 25. How to Ditch your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier (YA)

2/5 Apparently this novel started out as a short story. I think it would have worked better in that format as the idea seemed to become less charming as novel went on. Takes place in fictional world in which people have fairies with different abilities.

26. Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

3/5 Follows the life story of a woman taken from Africa as a slave. Protagonist travels from Africa to America, to Nova Scotia, back to Africa and Finally to England where she becomes the face of the Abolitionist movement. A good story that gives a lot of background on the history of slavery. However, the slave owners in the novel seem a bit to good. It doesn't have the same impact as other novels such as Morrison's "Beloved".

Currently re-reading George R R Martin's "Song's of Ice and Fire" novels. I listened to them as books on tape and there were a few chapters missing. I also find I miss a lot when I listen to books instead of reading them.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments 27. Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Re-read. Last time I listened to this as a book on tape. I got a lot more out of it by reading it.