Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Do you count Audiobooks?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments What is your opinion of audio books? Do you count books you listen to in your read list? I walk to and from work, spending about 2 hours a day walking, so I have been listening to a lot of books, but I feel guilty putting them on my list. What do you think?

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 117 comments Audio books should absolutely count. To argue otherwise would be to argue that blind people aren't reading at all. I'd say that it's totally equivalent.

message 3: by Crysta (new)

Crysta | 123 comments I agree. In my opinion, audiobooks should definitely count.

message 4: by Crysta (new)

Crysta | 123 comments Also, wow, 2 hours a day walking! What a healthy commute!

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe (joewig) | 106 comments Of course they count. Books are designed to be read aloud. It's storytelling at it's finest. Audiobooks bring reading back to the aural arena. We need to hear the written word. I used to thumb my nose at audiobooks, but last year alone I listened to about 40 that because of time and location restraints, I would never have gotten the chance to read. (I did get to read about 45 books though, but developed a greater appreciation for listening so that when I got around to reading, words weighed more heavily on my psyche.)

message 6: by Asheleigh (new)

Asheleigh | 22 comments Absolutely.No one would claim you shouldn't be able to say you have seen a foreign film because you read the dialogue instead of hearing it.The same should work in reverse with books.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments All I've "read" so far this year has been audio books (I'm plugging away at a paper copy of Cutting for Stone but it's taking forever) I definitely count them.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments I count audio books on my list. I used to listen to quite a few every year, but last year only did a couple. I'm actually hoping to listen to more this year. By the way, there are a number of good audiobook groups on Goodreads.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian | 16 comments Audiobooks should definitely count! I could never have gotten through Patrick O' Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series without them. Well maybe, but it was more fun listening.

message 10: by Capability (new)

Capability | 1 comments Audio books should count and I would like to add more to my list - it is a nice way to pass the time if you are in the car a lot.

message 11: by Irene (last edited Jan 12, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Irene Hollimon | 110 comments I don't count audio books myself. I was about to say "reading" means eyes to page to me but... since I use an ereader, I guess I should say eyes to screen. I don't however count pages. If it's in stand alone book form, it counts as a "book" to me. I've counted a "book" that only had sixty-nine pages before. I have a book on my virtual shelf now that only has ninety-five pages.
My sister spends a lot of time in her car. She counts her audio books.
My feeling is as long as it's fun for you and works for you, that's what counts.

Another challenge I joined is also a year long challenge. It stated in it's opening that it was supposed to go from January to December. Call me lawless, but I couldn't wait until January. I started filling out my list immediately. Okay, because I started early, there's a chance I could finish ahead of my peers. But I choose not to see it as a race to the finish line. That's what works for me.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I also don't count audio books myself.
I agree with the person above who talked about story-telling and audio reading. It's a nice point, really.

I just feel like I'm cheating a bit. I don't listen to many, but then I'm listening to a book for 3 hours or so that would take me a week to read. I could certainly finish my 50 easily that way.

Maybe I just like making things hard for myself.