Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Ashley's Books in 2011!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) Let's hope I don't fail this year! Haha
1. Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #1) by Jack L. Chalker
This book was great until he tried to write romance and started godmodding all the characters.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 2. Star Dragon by Mike Brotherton
It's a shame how underrated this book is. I was never really into heavy science fiction, but I really did like this. It's really sad that this book is almost nowhere to be found, I think it's definitely something most sci-fi fans will like.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 3. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
It's really almost embarrassing how much I LOVED this book. This should be required reading for everyone.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 4. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins
Not as good as the first, but I can see that it's main purpose was to be a bridge for the final book. I'm really excited to see how everything plays out in the end.

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Jul 23, 2011 12:04PM) (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 5. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) Slow goings so far, but I'll catch back up once I'm done with classes for the semester.

6. The Shape of Things by Neil LaBute
Read this play for my acting class and ... wow, what an ending. I didn't know a single thing about this play when I started it and I did not expect such a cruel twist to the story.
I really liked this play though and I would love to see it on stage.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) Done with non-online classes until the end of August! TIME TO PLAY CATCH UP.

7. The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan
I really enjoy this series by her, and it was really awesome getting to know the events that would lay down the path for the Black Magician Trilogy.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 8. Howl's Moving Castle (Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
So different from the movie! But, wow! What a delightful book! I don't think I stopped smiling the whole time I was reading.
I really love Diana Wynne Jones' writing. She is steadily becoming a favorite author of mine. C:

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 9. Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1) by Mary H. Herbert
This book started out pretty slowly, but one it got moving it was lovely. I believe this book is out of print now, so I'm very happy to have it in my library. :)

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 10. The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
Kvothe may just be the smartest and the stupidest character I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in a book. I'm going to take a leap here and say that this is the best book I've read so far, and probably will read this year; I'm probably biased though because I just finished this not five minutes ago.
Needless to say, if I didn't have another book on loan that didn't need to be read I would be well on my way to the library looking for the sequel.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 11. Eldest (Inheritance, #2) by Christopher Paolini
Overall a good read. Paolini does tend to drag at some points, but it is certainly not worse than some other fantasy authors, and he tends to make up for it in the end.
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 12. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare
I can honestly say that I did not like this book in the slightest when I started it, but its ending may have swayed my opinion a bit. It still seems a bit too angsty and romancy for my tastes, but I'm much more inclined to give the second book a try than I was a few days ago.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 13. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
I recently downloaded a digital copy of this book for my phone, and it was a good way to keep me busy between classes and in the car when I didn't have my book. I first read this in elementary school and loved it then, and I can say that I still love it now.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 14. Trifles A Play in One Act by Susan Glaspell
Required reading for my Script Analysis class.
Was alright as far as plays go, but really touches on gender roles in early (and I guess you could say today's) American society. Some ladies figure out that Millie has most likely killed her husband because he wrung her canary's neck. The men fail to fully inspect the items the other women are going to bring to Millie, saying that they're just simple women things and fail to get the incriminating evidence that they were looking for.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 15. The Reluctant Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #2) by Karen Miller
So much better than the first book in the series! My only problem with it was that the end went by a bit quickly, but it was also almost five in the morning when I finished it, so someone else may have a different opinion.
I really didn't expect to like Deenie as much as I did, or get as emotional as I did while reading. I still prefer the original series over anything, but I did really, truly love this continuation of the story. Really looking forward to reading Morg and Barl's story now.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 16. Fences by August Wilson
Another play for my script class. It was alright, though I won't read it again.

17. Angels in America, Part 1 Millennium Approaches by Tony Kushner
For script again. I actually really liked this one, though I wasn't a huge fan of all the cursing. It just seemed out of place at some points. I would love to see this on stage.

18. Old Times by Harold Pinter
For script! This one was odd. It was alright, but just a bit too realistic and strange for my taste.

19. Camelot by Alan Jay Lerner
For my stagecraft class. I will be building Exaclibur from this play.
I really enjoyed this one, though the ending was a bit sad. I really, really want to see the movie and I would absolutely love to see it on stage.

message 17: by Ashley (last edited Dec 19, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Ashley (heyashes) 20. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling
I bought this audiobook for a dollar at a thrift store in my hometown a while back and have been listening to it off and on in my car ever since. I absolutely LOVED Jim Dale's narration. His voices for the characters are just amazing.

21. Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello
The last thing I had to read for my Script Analysis class (thank God). Boy, this was a strange play, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I do believe that I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more if I had read it for leisure and didn't have to analyze every line.