Lit Lawvers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Book #2 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (krj86) Water for Elephants-Gruen
Middlesex-Eugenides
The Historian-Kostova
In Defense of Food-Pollan
The Hour I First Believed-Lamb
The Help-Stockett
1984-Orwell
The Memory Keeper's Daughter-Edwards
Fahrenheit 451-Bradford

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) Kaitlin wrote: "Water for Elephants-Gruen
Middlesex-Eugenides
The Historian-Kostova
In Defense of Food-Pollan
The Hour I First Believed-Lamb
The Help-Stockett
1984-Orwell
The Memory Keeper's Daughter-Edward..."

I've read a fair share of these books but would love to join in the discussion (I'm studying for the Bar and it would cut down my reading load).

1. I will forewarn that The Historian is a very long book and would probably take people more than 3 weeks to finish.
2. The Help is amazing and I would love if this book is chosen for the discussion aspect alone.
3. Water for Elephants was amazing as well, I'd add Ape House here too because it's just as good and it's more current
4. I've wanted to read In Defense of Food so I'd love to see this one as well
5. The Memory Keeper's Daughter - haven't read, own it would love to read it!

My own recommendation would be Little Bee. I've read it recently but its an intensely beautiful and powerful novel with a side of African political history to boot.

message 3: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments I have kind of an odd taste in books. And I don't read much fiction. But here are a few:

*1984 - Orwell (I second Kaitlin's nom)
*The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope - William Kamkwamba
*Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
*Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

message 4: by JudgyK (new)

JudgyK Of what's been suggested so far, I'd love to read either The Memory-Keeper's Daughter or the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

Other suggestions (admittedly, these are all books I own and haven't read yet):
The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood
Letters from the Earth - Mark Twain
Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow
Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

message 5: by jenn (new)

jenn | 17 comments I wouldn't mind reading The Corrections (speaking of books I have, but haven't read!). And, for a very different look at a 12 year old girl, I'm enjoying The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery).

message 6: by Newteacherwife (new)

Newteacherwife | 32 comments This makes me so happy! I originally emailed my suggestions to Jen since I didn't see this and 1984 was number 1. I'm actually about halfway through it (which slowed me down on Lolita...Oops!) But if it's an option for number 2, I will stop to keep pace.

Also, I thought The Road might be good as well as the Kite Runner.

I want to read The Help and Water For Elephants, so those sound good too. And I was told Elegance of the Hedgehog was really good. I was given it as a gift but haven't read it yet.

Truthfully, I think we could have some really good and interesting discussions over 1984, especially about freedom and the extent to which the government controls.

message 7: by JudgyK (new)

JudgyK I've already read 1984, the Help, Water for Elephants, the Kite Runner, and Elegance of the Hedgehog. I'd be fine with re-reading or at least discussing any of them though.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) I've already read 1984, multiple times (once for pleasure and twice for class) so I would prefer not to read it. However I won't be heartbroken if it gets chosen :)

I second The Corrections, I own it and have been told to read it by multiple people.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) I also want to nominate The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski - I've been told I need to read this book

message 10: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments I also wanted to read the Kite Runner, but I didn't list it because it looked like quite a few in our group had already read it.

message 11: by JudgyK (new)

JudgyK Oooh, second to Cleopatra: A Life.

message 12: by Jacklyn (new)

Jacklyn | 14 comments Loving all these suggestions. Any one of these would be great. My favorites out of those listed and ones I've been looking forward to read are (in no particular order):

The Corrections
The Help
Memory Keepers Daughter
Middlesex
Cleopatra
Oscar Wao

Water for Elephants was really good and Blink was fascinating so I'd be happy to read those again. I'm just glad I will be reading more than for class this coming semester. I really missed that last semester. Looking forward to it!

Also, I don't know much about this book but Great House by Nicole Krauss is intriguing to me. I really liked her book History of Love. She has the same writing style as her husband, Jonathan Safran Foer, who is one of my favorites and the stories are absolutely beautiful. Has anyone heard about this one?

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Finley (kaylafinley) | 28 comments I suggested The Help somewhere else, just because everyone should read it! I also have The Imperfectionists, The Historian and The Memory Keeper's Daughter that I haven't read.

Water for Elephants and The Kite Runner are amazing as well. Don't know if I could re-read Kite Runner because it broke my heart, but I would like to discuss it!

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) I'm posting to diss Edgar Sawtelle and to say, Jamie, save yourself!

Thanks for the heads up! I will go ahead and approach this book with caution (and probably push it lower down on my to read list). Thankfully I got a copy of it for free :)

Here are the books I'm liking so far:
The Corrections
Memory Keepers Daughter
The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
The Imperfectionists

These are all books I own and have been dying to read.

I would love to also do nonfiction here are some suggestions I have:

Eating Animals (already read but would love to discuss and I <3 Jonathan Safran Foer)
Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food
A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius
The Kids Are All Right: A Memoir
The Last Lecture
Reading Lolita in Tehran (appropriate, no?)

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) Jill wrote: "I haven't read History of Love"

You must read this book, it is fantastic! I would totally be up for reading Great House, it's on my amazon Wish List :)

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments I would be excited about almost all of these suggestions, there are many on here on my want-to-read list or read-and-loved list. Memory Keepers Daughter, Water for Elephants, Oscar Wao, Curious Incident, Heartbreaking Work, Elegance ... Wouldn't have thought of the Emperor of Maladies or Cleopatra but those both sound fascinating too... Or any of the rest of these ideas!

As another idea I would throw out Generation Me, I will be reading that here any day.

message 17: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (legaleagle) | 19 comments Mod
I downloaded the sample of Cleopatra on my Nook and haven't been able to get into it. At all. Although, to be honest, I'm feeling that way about almost every book I pick up lately, so having the book club is nice to provide some extra motivation.

message 18: by JudgyK (new)

JudgyK Add to the nomination list:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I keep hearing it's amazing, and a movie is coming out before too long.

message 19: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (krj86) I'd be game for Cleopatra!

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (madeinkowloon) | 2 comments Amie wrote: "Add to the nomination list:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I keep hearing it's amazing, and a movie is coming out before too long."

I reeeeaaaallly enjoyed this book and I totally wouldn't mind reading it again.

message 21: by Jacklyn (new)

Jacklyn | 14 comments Jen wrote: "I downloaded the sample of Cleopatra on my Nook and haven't been able to get into it. At all. Although, to be honest, I'm feeling that way about almost every book I pick up lately, so having the ..."

Jen I'm with you on that. I'm so glad this gives me the motivation I need to read. I miss it so much when I don't make time for it. Deadlines are good for me, even when it's for pleasure I guess!

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyt8675309) | 33 comments I joined this group to expand my reading list. To be honest between my son and school, I haven't had time to read for pleasure much over the past decade.

I have read the Kite Runner and would read/discuss it again. Same with 1984.

I downloaded Water for Elephants and want to read it. I am also interested in The Kids are All Right: A Memoir.

Other than that, I'm completely open. Lolita has given me a lot to think about and as a result, I am pretty sure I will be happy with whatever book #2 is!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.