Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Mara's 50 for 2011

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mara (last edited Jan 13, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

message 9: by Mara (last edited Apr 10, 2011 01:58PM) (new)

message 15: by Mara (new)

message 17: by Nance (new)

Nance (nabpurple12) | 279 comments Mara wrote: "21- Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey
22- The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss"

What did you think of the The Wise Man's Fear? Was it as good as The Name of the Wind? I have that to read too...but I was curious if it was as good as the first book because I just loved that:)

message 18: by Mara (new)

message 19: by Mara (new)

Mara | 209 comments Nance wrote: "What did you think of the The Wise Man's Fear? Was it as good as The Name of the Wind? I have that to read too...but I was curious if it was as good as the first book because I just loved that:) "

I liked it a lot. There were a few small times where I thought, "Let's move on with the story." But considering the length, that's not too surprising. There was a bit more sensuality and I think there was more bad language in this one, than the first (but I admit it's been a long time since I read the first and can recall how bad the language was). All it all it was great!

I enjoyed the story and I definitely want to see where Rothfuss takes it! Also, to me, it's hard to really separate "The Name of the Wind" from "The Wise Man's Fear," because they really are just one story broken up into parts because otherwise we'd have a huge book. And that's how it seemed to me--a continuation of the same story. But again, it's been awhile since I read the first book. Which reminds me of one of the other things I didn't like--I had a hard time remembering what exactly happened at the end of the first book, I remember the gist, but the details are foggy. So when I was reading the first part of the second one it was like reading through a fog. (I borrowed the first one from the library, so I didn't have it on hand to read the ending and fresh myself on what happened.)

Wow! That ended up longer than I expected. Happy Reading! :-)

message 20: by Nance (new)

Nance (nabpurple12) | 279 comments Mara wrote: "Nance wrote: "What did you think of the The Wise Man's Fear? Was it as good as The Name of the Wind? I have that to read too...but I was curious if it was as good as the first book because I just l..."

Well, it sounds like you really enjoyed it! I'll give it a whirl this summer, but I think I will review like the last two chapters so I don't forget anything since I finished the first one a few months ago. I just hope that the last book in the series doesn't take as long as the second book to come out:)

message 32: by Mara (new)

message 37: by Mara (new)

message 38: by Mara (new)

Mara | 209 comments 43- Holy Bible: King James Version (New Testament)

message 39: by Mara (new)

Mara | 209 comments 44- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I actually didn't read this one all the way through (it became too graphic for me), but I read about 250 pages, which is the length of some novels. So, I'm going to count it.

message 42: by Mara (new)

message 43: by Mara (new)