Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Ann's Books of 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #1-The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari-Robin S. Sharma
Nothing special...

message 2: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:53AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #2-Gardens of Water: A Novel-Alan Drew
Powerful debut novel that deserves more attention. I found this ebook randomly on my library's website. It's about a Kurdish family in Turkey who have been displaced by civil war from their home village. They then have to survive the aftermath of a powerful earthquake (the one in 1999, I assume) with help from an American humanitarian organization. The author does a good job of letting you into the mind of a devout Muslim man.

message 3: by Ann A (last edited Jan 15, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #3-Invisible-Lorena McCourtney
Was so excited to get my Kindle, I downloaded a few random free books. This was one of them, and I wish I hadn't bothered.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Free for a reason!

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #4-Dancing in the Moonlight-RaeAnne Thayne
More free Kindle fluff - done with that for awhile.

message 6: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Donna wrote: "Free for a reason!"

Yes, you are right - think I'll stick to the free classics!

message 7: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #5-The Book of Tea-Kazuko Okakura
Wonderful little book about tea and eastern philosophy. (O.K, I admit this was also a Kindle freebie!)

message 8: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #6-Far from the Madding Crowd-Thomas Hardy
Classic tale of otherwise intelligent woman falling for the wrong guy. Bathsheba infuriated me, but I do love Thomas Hardy's writing.

message 9: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #7-Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America-Thomas L. Friedman
As usual, I think Friedman is dead-on with his analysis and ideas.

message 10: by Ann A (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #8-Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition-Natsuki Takaya
Wanted to see what manga was all about. Not my thing.

message 11: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 246 comments I'm going to look for this book! I love tea and want to read about it. Very excited now :)

Ann wrote: "#5-The Book of Tea-Kazuko Okakura
Wonderful little book about tea and eastern philosophy. (O.K, I admit this was also a Kindle freebie!)"

message 12: by Ann A (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Lillie wrote: "I'm going to look for this book! I love tea and want to read about it. Very excited now :)

I highlighted several quotes from the book, but here are my favorites:

"It has not the arrogance of wine, the self-consciousness of coffee, nor the simpering innocence of cocoa". (tea)

"Those who cannot feel the littleness of great things in themselves are apt to overlook the greatness of little things in others."

"We nurse a conscience because we are afraid to tell the truth to others;we take refuge in pride because we are afraid to tell the truth to ourselves."

Good stuff, huh? Hope you enjoy the book!

message 13: by Ann A (last edited Feb 02, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #9-The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin-Benjamin Franklin
Very interesting, but I was disappointed it only covers his life up until 1757.

message 14: by Ann A (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:33AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #10-Wench-Dolen Perkins-Valdez
This book left me unsatisfied. Just average.

message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #11-Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan-Greg Mortenson
Loved this book. I found the stories of all the local people who helped Greg to be fascinating and inspiring. I also thought the book was very well-written (apparently, some didn't care for the writing style of 'Three Cups of Tea').

message 16: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #12-My Antonia-Willa Cather
Really enjoyed this - surprisingly. I didn't expect a Midwestern farm novel to be a page-turner, but Cather's writing made it just that.

message 17: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #13-Breaking Dawn-Stephenie Meyer
Read the series because of my daughter. I did think this one was better than the previous two, but I'm done with vampire books.

message 18: by Ann A (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:46AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #14-Kafka on the Shore-Haruki Murakami
Too many WTH moments.

message 19: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #15-Daughter of Destiny-Benazir Bhutto
What a courageous woman.

message 20: by Ann A (last edited Mar 14, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #16-Ramayana-C. Rajagopalachari
Hindu mythology - the story of Raama and Seeta.

message 21: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #17-The Book of Air and Shadows-Michael Gruber
Better than average

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments Ann,

It looks like we ended up of one mind on Kafka on the Shore. Congrats on just finishing it!

Jlynn

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ann wrote: "#5-The Book of Tea-Kazuko Okakura"

Funny. That's the second book about tea that I've come across today. This one sounds especially interesting!

Good luck with your reading. :)

message 24: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #18-Dead Until Dark-Charlaine Harris
I had sworn off vampire novels, but wanted to see why Sookie Stackhouse was so popular. It was actually quite fun.

message 25: by Ann A (last edited Mar 07, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #19-Innocent Graves-Peter Robinson
Not bad, except I guessed who did it near the beginning of the book. I'd probably drop it to 2 1/2* because I didn't like the ending.

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Ann wrote: "#18-Dead Until Dark-Charlaine Harris
I had sworn off vampire novels, but wanted to see why Sookie Stackhouse was so popular. It was actually quite fun."

I had felt the same way then I watched True Blood and wanted to read the books - then Oprah had the cast of the Twilight movies on promoting the new movie - next thing you know I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse books, all the Twilight books, The Passage by Justin Cronin & The Strain by Guillermo Del Torro & Chuck Hogan (that is a really good book).

message 27: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #20-Divisadero-Michael Ondaatje
Some beautiful writing, but I couldn't get into the story.
I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading lately because I've been sick a lot - I surely won't be able to keep up this pace!

message 28: by Ann A (last edited Mar 08, 2011 04:42PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Note to self: you are getting out of control! You need to focus on nothing but the books you already own for awhile (with exceptions ONLY for book club selections). No more shopping at the Borders closing sale, picking up "just one or two" at those great Costco prices, being unable to resist those "special" Barnes & Noble online sales, browsing, and selecting random books at the library, downloading free Kindle books or library ebooks onto your laptop (for those "breaks" while you're working). You MUST be good, at least for a few months until you go to Portland (anyone been to Powell's Books? It's heaven!)

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Oh, Ann, Ann, Ann... It's too late, you're well and truly infected & there's no treatment.

message 30: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Sigh...Donna, I fear you are correct. I am doomed to my bookish life!

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Well, there are worse things...

message 32: by Ann A (last edited Mar 15, 2011 09:46AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #21-Mushrooms on the Moor-Frank Boreham
Can't resist the odd random Kindle freebie. 1915 musings of a minister, some of them quite interesting. I'm not sorry I read it (and only ONE other person on Goodreads has!)

message 33: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #22-True Compass: A Memoir-Edward M. Kennedy
Really enjoyed this.

message 34: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #23-The Appeal-John Grisham
One of my least favorite Grisham books.

message 35: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1878 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "Note to self: you are getting out of control! You need to focus on nothing but the books you already own for awhile (with exceptions ONLY for book club selections). No more shopping at the Borders closing sale..."

Ann, I've had to have that SAME conversation with myself the past two weeks! The Borders near me (Where are you located?) is closing, so I was a VERY good girl and avoided the sale for a week... But then.... I was spending the afternoon with a friend, and she needed to go to the mall, so I suggested we also see if there was anything good at the Borders sale. Then I went back again a few days later! More books! hehehe

message 36: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Tiffany, I'm doing my best to talk myself out of going BACK to Borders. The discounts were only 25-30% when I was there, so I only bought 2 books, but I'm thinking as they try harder to liquidate the merchandise, they'll have bigger discounts! Must not go, must not go.

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments I guess I'm the lucky addict then as none of the Borders I go to are closing which means no Borders sale to tempt me down the path of financial and book shelf space ruin. Lucky, lucky me... :(

message 38: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #24-Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption-Laura Hillenbrand
An amazing story, told by a gifted writer.

message 39: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #25-Minding Frankie-Maeve Binchy
I always look forward to a new Maeve Binchy book (have read them all). This one was another great visit with her warm, quirky, Irish characters.

message 40: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #26-Living Dead in Dallas-Charlaine Harris
Over half-way to the goal! I'm way ahead of last year's pace.

message 41: by Donna (last edited Mar 25, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Congrats! At this pace you'll be done way before the rest of us. Any thoughts on your reads so far?

message 42: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Thanks, Donna! I've been really happy with my reading so far this year - have liked ALL of the nonfiction I've read, and I feel like even the fiction I didn't like still "expanded my horizons". How is your reading going?

message 43: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #27-The Broker-John Grisham
Now that's more like it, John! O.K, it does earn extra points for being set in Italy. 3 1/2*

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks, Donna! I've been really happy with my reading so far this year - have liked ALL of the nonfiction I've read, and I feel like even the fiction I didn't like still "expanded my horizons". How..."

I'm falling off the pace. Too many things going on. Also a bit of a rut genre wise, but I'm working on that. Not that I'm not liking what I read. Nicest surprise so far was Steve Martin's "An Object of Beauty". It wasn't what I thought it might be.

message 45: by Sunset (new)

Sunset (sunset_sealy) Wow! You're getting along at a good pace! I've only finished 13 of my 50 for the year so far!

message 46: by Ann A (last edited Apr 03, 2011 09:53AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #28-Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen
A re-read - still probably my favorite book!

message 47: by Ann A (last edited Apr 03, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #29-Border Songs-Jim Lynch
I liked this more than I expected to. Well-written and unique (the main character is a 6'8" dyslexic, artistic, mildly autistic, bird-loving Border Guard!)

message 48: by Sunset (new)

Sunset (sunset_sealy) I've been considering a re-read of one of my favourites for the next book I read. :)

message 49: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments Most of my re-reads are classics - ones that I read many years ago and my daughters are reading now. I find I enjoy most of them more the 2nd time around - probably because a teacher isn't MAKING me read it! :)

message 50: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 799 comments #30-Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy-Ed. by Peter S. Canellos
I do love a well-written biography, and I've always been fascinated with the Kennedys. I doubt we'll see another Senator as devoted to public service as Ted was.

« previous 1 3