Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Page-to-screen > 'Uglies' movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
So there is going to be a movie version of Scott Westerfeld's bestselling book: Uglies .
The only well-known star I can see in the movie is Cate Blanchett as Doctor Cable.
She is pretty, but in a sharp 'special' way:
What do you think?

alt="description"/>

description

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) She is EXACTLY how I imagined Dr Cable to be :D

I had heard, though, that they were considering Dakota Fanning for Tally
((blech))
Actually, Dakota would be okay..personally I'd rather have her be Shay.
I think British actress Madeline Duggan would make an excellent Tally cause she kinda looks like her.

message 3: by ★ Jess (last edited Jan 08, 2011 07:29PM) (new)

I can definably see Madeline Duggan as Tally.
But Dakota...not so much. I dont want her in it, though I agree-shes more Shay then Tally.

Oh, Melissa Suffield is exactly how I imagined Shay:
description

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Lol, Lincoln Lewis would be a good Peris, cause he's such a pretty boy :P

message 5: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Darren Criss= Peris. But I think I cast everybody as Darren Criss.
Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actressess, and she'd work great (mind spelling it's late here)

message 6: by ★ Jess (new)

haha I cant see Lincoln Lewis as Peris though

Darren Criss: for some reason I can totally see him as Peris!

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Darren Criss isn't pretty enough to be Peris. I can see him as David, though. But he's not really an actor of major film caliber (yet)

message 8: by ★ Jess (new)

*gasp*
Darren Criss is supermegafoxyawesomehot.
I just had to say that, but I guess you're right. Not enough to be a 'pretty'.
Whoever they cast as Peris should be amazingly drop dead gorgeous. Even if he doesnt really have loads of acting quiet. Because Peris should be seen and not heard, I think.
He is kind of the poster boy for all "Pretties"

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Yep. And Lincoln Lewis is definitely "pretty."
Lol!

message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Darren is of course ready for movies! I mean he's only a better Harry Freakin's POtter than Daniel Radcliffe!

message 11: by Luna (new)

Luna (daughterofselene) I just hope they do it right and don't mess it up like they did to The Lightning Thief

message 12: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments I agree.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Uglies series!
It's like, my favorite series!~
I love Scott Westerfeld's writing! He's such an awesome writer. :3.

I'm not sure what I pictured the characters to be... but I agree Dakota would not be a good Tally. :/ Even though I love Dakota, she's a good actress! I just don't picture her as Tally.

They'd been contemplating whether to turn it into a movie since 2008, and it still hasn't been confirmed (I don't believe it has...)

But I really want to see them make the hoverboards, skintennas, rotating buildings, floating swimming pools, etc. That would be beyond amazing and it might even turn out to be my favorite movie of all times. :D

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments Oh, and by the way that woman you posted above is the PERFECT Dr. Cable! She is totally what I imagined Dr. Cable to be!~

message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "Darren Criss isn't pretty enough to be Peris. I can see him as David, though. But he's not really an actor of major film caliber (yet)"

I"d be happy if he was David. Honestly, the world needs more Darren Criss. He's such a charismatic humanitarian.

message 16: by Jia (new)

Jia | 170 comments gLee doesn't deserve him. ;)

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (blargh) | 338 comments GLEE IS AMAZING!!!!!!! && I <3 Darren Chris too :) He's super adorable!

message 18: by ★ Jess (new)

Ive been thinking about a cast, and here is who I like for each role:

Tally Youngblood: Danielle Panabaker
description

David: Garret hedlund
description

Dr. Cable: Cate Blanchette
description

Peris: Darren Criss.
description

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments iDunno why, but I think Darren would be a better David. LOL. He just has a wild look to him.

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments DARREN CRISS! Does anybody watch AVPM?

message 21: by ★ Jess (new)

AVPM is my life.
One of the reasons I got into glee was because of him.
However, Joe Walker and Joey Richter are just as, if not more, amazing.

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments haha, He's the reason that I watch glee too!

message 23: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments He's the reason I watch Glee and he has one of the only voices that will reduce me to a fangirl.

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments EVER......

message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Anyone have any news on the movie?

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (blargh) | 338 comments I was just looking up some stuff about Uglies becoming a movie, and its still categorized as 'in development'... they aren't for sure yet if it's actually going to be made into a movie, but i hope it is. That would be one awesome movie :)

message 27: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments It would indeed.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 948 comments Agreed

message 29: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Absolutely. Scott Westerfield is one of my favorite authors, and I'd love to see this come to life!

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara | 32 comments OMFG! YAAAAAAYYY!!!!!

message 31: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid So, is this actually happening?

message 32: by ★ Jess (new)

Not officially, the rights have been sold, but its unclear if it will be developed.

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 22 comments Ooh I'm so bad at casting people for films based on books, but when I hear who is going to be who in a film I always have an opinion :), but I really like the idea of Cate Blanchet playing Dr. Cable, I could really see that! And is there seriously going to be a movie?? I haven't heard that one yet!! That would be really cool!

message 34: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid ★ Jess ★ wrote: "Not officially, the rights have been sold, but its unclear if it will be developed."

It really ought to be developed. I hope they do.

message 35: by ★ Jess (new)

From Scott Westerfeld's blog:

Uglies Movie Press Release
JULY 25TH, 2011
DAVIS ENTERTAINMENT AND LOLA VFX TEAM TO PRODUCE SCOTT WESTERFELD’S NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING FUTURISTIC TRILOGY. “UGLIES” BEING PREPARED AS FIRST OF THE PLANNED LIVE ACTION FEATURES

Project Signals Premier Visual Effects Company Move Into Film Production

LOS ANGELES (JULY 24, 2011) – Producer John Davis and the founders of Lola Visual Effects (Lola VFX) will team to finance, develop and produce a theatrical, live action feature based on Scott Westerfeld’s New York Times best-selling “Uglies,” the first of his futuristic trilogy first published in 2005.

The filmmakers have also acquired Westerfeld’s PRETTIES and SPECIALS, the remaining trilogy installments published by Simon Pulse, a Simon & Schuster company, with total sales of over 3 million copies. Jacob Forman (“All The Boys Love Mandy Lane”) will write the screenplay.

UGLIES will be produced by John Davis (“Mr. Popper’s Penguins,” “I, Robot”) and Jordan Davis (“Jump In”), along with Colin and Greg Strause via their Hydraulx Entertainment banner. Lola’s Edson Williams and Thomas Nittmann will executive produce along with Adam Schroeder

Lola is the groundbreaking visual effects company paving the way for an entirely new level of story-telling, most recently transforming Chris Evans into the 90-pound weakling Steve Rogers for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER. The company was founded by Colin and Greg Strause, Edson Williams, and Thomas Nittmann.
?
Set in an Orwellian future in which teens undergo surgery on their sixteenth birthdays to become supermodel “pretty,” UGLIES is the story of Tally Youngblood, one such “ugly” teen who is forced by authorities to forgo her transformation until she infiltrates The Smoke, a community of rebels who choose to retain their appearance and live outside of normal society. Tally soon discovers appearance isn’t everything and her world is not all that it seems.

“’UGLIES’ is a smart, youthful, and edgy trilogy peopled by sophisticated characters who have to navigate through a dangerous but fascinating world,” stated John Davis. “We are at this time in the development of cinema magic where we have the proper technology to fully realize Scott’s vision for the screen.”

In addition to CAPTAIN AMERICA, Lola is the company behind Brad Pitt’s youthification in THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON and flawless twining of Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss in THE SOCIAL NETWORK. With this technology and expertise, Lola will handle the dramatic transformation of characters into the “pretty” versions of themselves while Hydraulx will create the futuristic world of UGLIES, an exquisite yet eerie dystopian future.

Stated Greg Strause: “With UGLIES, Scott created a visually stunning world that capitalizes on the strengths of both Lola and Hydraulx. Our partnership demonstrates the expanding possibilities of enhancing creative storytelling with innovative visual effects.”

Hydraulx is an award-winning visual effects facility with work including 300, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, 2012, BATTLE LOS ANGELES, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES, and AVATAR, the latter two films in 3D. Founded by Colin and Greg Strause, the company leverages the Brothers’ extensive filmmaking experience to provide a comprehensive and unparalleled photographic and photorealistic approach to visual effects.

DAVIS ENTERTAINMENT
Chairman of Los Angeles-based Davis Entertainment, John Davis has been a producer on more than 80 feature films and movies for television that have earned more than $4 billion worldwide.
Davis’s three divisions–-feature film, independent film, and television-–develop and produce film and television projects for the major studios, independent distributors, networks and cable broadcasters. The Company, established in 1986, has enjoyed a long-standing first-look production deal at 20th Century Fox, though also produces projects for all studios and mini-majors.

Some of Davis’s films include the Jim Carrey starring “Mr. Popper’s Penguins,” “Gulliver’s Travels” starring Jack Black; the hit sci-fi thriller “I, Robot” starring Will Smith; “Norbit,” starring Eddie Murphy (in their fourth film together) for DreamWorks/Paramount; “Garfield,” which earned $200 million at the worldwide box office, for Fox; the $100 million-plus hit Eddie Murphy comedy “Daddy Day Care;” the blockbuster “The Firm,” starring Tom Cruise; “Courage Under Fire,” starring Denzel Washington; “Waterworld,” starring Kevin Costner; “Predator,” starring Arnold Schwarzenegger; the two hugely successful “Dr. Dolittle” films, starring Eddie Murphy; the Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau trilogy “Out to Sea,” “Grumpy Old Men,” and “Grumpier Old Men;” “Alien vs. Predator,” an action thriller combining the two classic creatures, and its sequel “AVP2,” for Fox, among many others.

message 36: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments I don't really like a lot of the credited movies menioned up top. Probably just the Social Network actually

message 37: by ★ Jess (new)

Agreed. But its great to hear some news on this!

message 38: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Yes, it makes it seem more real. I'm quite excited about it being made into a movie.

message 39: by ★ Jess (new)

Hopefully they go out of their way to get Cate Blanchett as Dr. Cable!

message 40: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid She is exactly how I imagined her! To a T.

message 41: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments I can't see anyone else doing it :)

message 42: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Koja | 2 comments Michelle wrote: "I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Uglies series!
It's like, my favorite series!~
I love Scott Westerfeld's writing! He's such an awesome writer. :3.

I'm not sure what I pictured the characters to be... but I a..."

same!! :)

message 43: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Koja | 2 comments Michelle wrote: "Oh, and by the way that woman you posted above is the PERFECT Dr. Cable! She is totally what I imagined Dr. Cable to be!~"

same!!! She is just amazing!

message 44: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 355 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "I don't really like a lot of the credited movies menioned up top. Probably just the Social Network actually"

I haven't even seen most of them but we did a film unit in multimedia this term and part of it was taking on the role of director, producer etc. and we had to watch a video about each of the roles. The impression I got of the producer's role is that they basically are in charge of making sure everyone is doing their job within the time needed and planning for filming and the budget so it probably doesn't really matter what the movies were, for the producers anyway.

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments From the aspect of whether or not you like a producer, it's not whether you like the movie, but whether you think it was well done.

message 46: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments That's what I mean. I wasn't impressed by any of the movies 'cept the Social Network. On any aspect.

message 47: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) Cool. There's going to be a movie. I need to get reading. Had the first book on my shelf for a while now, so the movie news is just the incentive I needed.

message 48: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Mitchell (LKMitchell) | 6 comments I guess I'd better get busy reading the Uglies before the film comes out.

message 49: by spidrenflora (new)

spidrenflora | 78 comments I had no idea there was going to be a movie!

message 50: by Princess7v (new)

Princess7v | 34 comments Uglies would be an incredible movie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Uglies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Westerfeld (other topics)