The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I'll just leave this here for any star wars geeks. I'm so damn excited I already pre-ordered the set. Just bummed its only the special editions of 4-6 coming out for now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalin...

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments It's relatively cheap though, given that it contains 30 hours of special features. I've got it preordered as well.

I don't know how many Canadian S&Lers there are, but it's available for preorder on amazon.ca too now as well.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  | 57 comments Definitely going to pick this up, but for now am committed that this is the very last version of the SW movies I buy.

message 4: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Same here... until such time as they announce another. (Unless it's 3D... don't care about that.)

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments George lucas is releasing the 3-D versions in theaters starting in 2012. Doing them chronologically 1 a year I believe. I just can't get behind the whole 3-D thing.

message 6: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I have no problem with 3D movies as a concept, I can't wait for it to be done right. It just hasn't got there yet. Avatar was kinda neat and impressive, but it just made the limitations of the technology apparent too. As an occasional theatrical experience I can appreciate it. It has no place in my gadgetry yet, except possibly for gaming purposes.

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6386 comments Can I get it without the extra computer graphics added in later?

message 8: by Gordon (last edited Jan 08, 2011 08:31PM) (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I'm pretty sure it's just the special editions.

EDIT: I'm hoping for a Special Edition of the prequels with Jar Jar digitally removed along with all references to midichlorians, but I'm not holding my breath.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments No Holiday Special, no sale.

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Tamahome: They say that they will not release the original versions on blu-ray. But that's also what George Lucas said about DVD. Then he ended up doing it anyways. So maybe we can hold out hope that he will...eventually...when he gets bored...

And when he does he will get even more money out of me, because I'm a huge sucker who at only 27 has probably bought those movies 4 or 5 different times already.

so psyched for the BLU-RAY release though. Gives me 9 months to save up for a decent sound system to watch them with

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Micah wrote: "Tamahome: They say that they will not release the original versions on blu-ray. But that's also what George Lucas said about DVD. Then he ended up doing it anyways. So maybe we can hold out hope..."

Note that he only ported over the original laserdisc release, which is low quality even compared to DVD let alone HD. Lucas claims that the original negatives were destroyed, which if true would be a major crime against cinema. It seems unlikely that no release prints exist, but Lucas doesn't want to put out the effort of finding one and restoring it.

message 12: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments The negatives were sort of destroyed, as I understand it - they were cut up and turned into the Special Edition. They likely COULD be used to remaster the original editions, but it's tough to imagine that happening any time soon as it would involve cutting them up again for rearrangement into their original form.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) Do we REALLY need another cut/version/treatment of Star Wars?
What's next?

The Retro-Betamax release?
Holiday Special Included Box set?
Hot 3d Jawa Action edition?

message 14: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments If there is any justice or goodness in the universe, they will NEVER release the Holiday Special in any format, ever. Nobody needs to endure that mess.

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) But...it had Jefferson Airplane! How bad could it be?

message 16: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I would try to answer that properly but it would require me to remember details of the special. I've carefully blocked those from my active memory in an attempt to preserve my sanity.

message 17: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Sean "Note that he only ported over the original laserdisc release, which is low quality even compared to DVD let alone HD. Lucas claims that the original negatives were destroyed, which if true would be a major crime against cinema. It seems unlikely that no release prints exist, but Lucas doesn't want to put out the effort of finding one and restoring it.
"

Yeah i have seen the quality difference on those DVD's of the original vs the special edition. I believe Lucas did that on purpose, so that people would see the quality difference and never watch the original. But maybe that's just the conspiracy theorist in me. LOL.

I never did buy that set of DVD's with the originals. Although I did get ripped off three times on ebay trying to get some original VHS versions. Spent like $40 on frackin VHS tapes before I got a seller that was on the up and up. Of course I bought the VHS versions because Lucas said he would never release the originals on DVD.....which is why I expect the "Original" tapes to be "found" sometime after the 3-D versions have all been released. So that way he can bilk another $50 out of me to buy the "classic" movies on blu-ray.

message 18: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
Micah wrote: "Of course I bought the VHS versions because Lucas said he would never release the originals on DVD.....which is why I expect the "Original" tapes to be "found" sometime after the 3-D versions have all been released. So that way he can bilk another $50 out of me to buy the "classic" movies on blu-ray."

Even though I forked over money for that sub-standard DVD release of the originals, I would fork over money again if high-quality transfers of the originals (not the shitty ones offered on that DVD) were made available on blu-ray. Sadly, I don't think it will happen, and that Lucas's "the originals were destroyed" story is a smoke-screen for his pig-headed desire for the Special Editions to completely replace the originals.

See this quote from him about the then-upcoming Special Editions in a 1997 issue of American Cinematographer:

"There will only be one. And it won't be what I would call the 'rough cut', it'll be the 'final cut.' The other one [the original film] will be some sort of interesting artifact that people will look at and say, 'There was an earlier draft of this.'...What ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody is going to remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition]...I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's, to go back and reinvent a movie."

That quote is found on this site - http://savestarwars.com/howthegrinchs... - which also has this bit of info:

"Film restorationist Robert Harris--the man who had hand-restored LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, SPARTACUS, THE SEARCHERS and GODFATHER--went on record saying he knew for a fact that there were pristine master 35mm elements available and that he would fully restore the original films for free! "

Lucas never responded to the offer.

I pretty much totally agree with the argument made on the above site: the originals should be allowed to be preserved along with the Special Editions, so the world can have both the classic, history- making films that so many fell in love with, along with the SEs that represent the director's final revised vision for the films (er, well, final until the 3D malarkey comes along). The fact that Lucas wants to wipe out the originals (or at most, begrudgingly offer a low-quality version of them as he finally did on those DVDs) is a sad blow to cinema history. I think his midicholorians got screwed up somewhere along the way.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6386 comments I was watching the original Star Wars, where they first go to the cantina, and you see those computer graphic animals outside. Ugh. There was something charming about those original 'analog' effects.

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments You know what annoyed me most about the Special Editions? There's one effect that looks absolutely horrible and it's never been corrected -- when the Millennium Falcon gets attacked after escaping the Death Star, there's an insert of the ship's tactical display that looks like something from an Atari 2600. Lucas filled Tatooine with CG animals, but he left that?

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Gord wrote: "If there is any justice or goodness in the universe, they will NEVER release the Holiday Special in any format, ever. Nobody needs to endure that mess."

Hey, Warner Bros. released Legends of the Superheroes, which is actually worse than the Holiday Special -- the HS at least introduced the world to Boba Fett, while Legends had Ghetto Man, which is exactly as bad as it sounds.

message 22: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Gord wrote: "If there is any justice or goodness in the universe, they will NEVER release the Holiday Special in any format, ever. Nobody needs to endure that mess."

I don't think we have to fear that hallucinogenic monstrosity ever being officially released, but we can torture ourselves with it easily:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...#

It's like a '70s hair shirt.

message 23: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I actually have a copy on VHS. I know the horror well.
But Sean, you do have a point. I'll admit that the Boba Fett part is pretty cool, if nothing else.

message 24: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Someday we'll have VHS houses, like bathhouses, where you'll go to feel warm and comforted. There's nothing like shitty video and audio quality to take you back.

message 25: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Got an update from amazon.com today saying the official ship date is September 27th! Woot!!! Just saving $10 a month from now till then will pay for the movies. Cookie jar here I come.

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil Lee I pre-ordered all 6 movies as soon as I heard about them (withing a couple of hours of the Amazon announcement).