All Ears Audiobooks discussion

General Discussion > What were your favorite audiobooks of 2010?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 248 comments Mod
Happy New Year!

Time to dust off those reading logs (or just look at your Goodreads list - I love this website) and share. What were your favorite audiobooks that you listened to in 2010? The books could have been published any year. And a bonus question...what are your reading goals for 2011?

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana | 8 comments Julie,

Here goes:
1) The Girl ... series by Steig Larsson/ Loved them all, amazing narrator.
2) Loving Frank by Nancy Horan/ Hesitate a bit to recommend. Found it boring and self absorbed at many times and yet also fascinating and thought provoking as well. The end was riveting.
3) The Boy with the Cuckoo Clock Heart by Mathiau Malzieu/ Original and heart wrenching. Pure poetry.
4) Lit-A Memoir by Mary Karr/ Although I normal can't stand this type of thing (Think Elizabeth Gilbert and that jerk who wrote A Thousand Little Pieces)I found this totally engaging and entertaining.
5) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak/ Heart gripping story hauntingly read. I will never forget this book.
6) Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh/ Also hesitate a bit to recommend and yet in the end I found it thought provoking and liked the ending.
7) Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters/ Unique, engaging look at a fictional town as portrayed by its deceased inhabitants resting in the cemetery on the hill.
8) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot/ A true story that creates a bridge between the past and present and poses some interesting moral questions regarding the future.
9) Swith-How to Change When Change is Hard by Chip Heath/ Well narrated book that makes its point humorously and in an easy to remember way.

I'd like to hear what others who have read/listened to these books think as well! Dana

message 3: by Julie (new)

Hi Dana,

Love your list! I enjoyed many of the ones you mentioned, especially The Book Thief and Loving Frank (I agree - riveting is a perfect description for that ending). Several of the ones you mentioned I haven't listened to yet - I'll have to add them to my list!

Here were some of my favorite audiobooks for 2010:

Room by Emma Donoghue - Fiction - This story could have been depressing and disturbing, but told from the point of view of 5-year old Jack, I found it captivating.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - Fiction - NCIBA winner of best fiction book of the year, this was my favorite.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Young Adult Fantasy - not only is this final book of The Hunger Games trilogy a page turner, it makes an interesting commentary on society and its vices. People either loved it or hated it.

The Art of Reading by Timothy Spurgin - Lectures - This lecture series by The Teaching Company was such a good analysis of what makes literature memorable. Definitely one I will listen to again.

The Wisdom of History by Rufus Fears - Lectures - another course by the Teaching Company, this one covered a wide range of history in time, geography and topic. Excellent.

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer - Non-Fiction - This book had the biggest impact on my life - mostly since we no longer eat meat. Great book for discussion.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - Classic - at 62 hours was this behemoth really worth it? Absolutely!

Still Alice by Lisa Genova - Fiction - After finishing this book I gave a copy to my sisters and chose it as my bookclub selection. If you have someone in your family suffering from Alzheimers Disease, this is a must read.

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan - Non-Fiction - heartfelt memoir of a woman diagnosed with breast cancer.

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - Fiction - the story of an innocent Indian boy who becomes a murderer. Eye-opening and surprisingly humorous in a dark way.

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata - Childrens - a 5 star Newbery winner.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - I loved the quirky characters and the excellent story, but the audio narration was what gave this classic top ratings.

And my goad for 2011? Read or listen to 130 books, but more importantly, take time to reflect on each one and post meaningful reviews.

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana | 8 comments Thank you for your feedback. I am updating my "to read" list with some of your suggestions! Dana

message 5: by Tia (new)

Tia (booksovertv) Hello,

I'm new to the world of Audio-books but, now I find I can't stop listening!

My favorites are;

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter

The Book of Night Women by Marlon James

All of these audio-books are first rate. I laughed< I cried and I learned a great deal too. I am happy to have listened in on such fantastic journeys and adventures.

message 6: by Minnie (new)

Minnie | 50 comments I've had a good listening year and the best one of all was certainly "The Help". It was a well written book brought to life by an amazing cast of voices. I'm looking forward to many good listens this year so happy listening to all!

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) Dana wrote: "....

8) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot/ "

I just finished this and OMG! What a fantastic book! and Cassandra Campbell did a wonderful job narrating it. It will definitely be on my list for 2011!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Minnie wrote: "I've had a good listening year and the best one of all was certainly "The Help". It was a well written book brought to life by an amazing cast of voices. I'm looking forward to many good listens th..."

I agree with everyone's comments on The Help. Not only is it a great novel, but the audio version really enhances an already spectacular read.

Tia - it sounds like you're hooked - welcome to the club!

message 9: by Lee (last edited Jan 28, 2011 02:23PM) (new)

Lee | 33 comments Mod
Hi,
Here are my top 10 for 2010, in no special order:

To Kill a Mockingbird - a great classic, even better 40 years later
Supercapitalism - great information and perspective on our democratic capitalistic society
Cutting for Stone - wonderful story, well written, well narrated
Destiny Disrupted - information everyone needs to know to live in today's world
City of Thieves - another great story, terrific character development and imagery
The Hunger Games - captivating story of revolution in a nation with unbalanced freedoms and a cruel tradition
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - wonderful mixture of human life and the world of science
Banker to the Poor - started the micro-lending concept to help the worlds poor
Have a Little Faith - sprinkled with thoughts and observations to rekindle reflection and introspection
The China Study - this anchored a big change in my eating habits for life

message 10: by Lilly (new)

Lilly (lilshoe) | 33 comments Mod
* People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - Enjoyed following the history of a rare illuminated manuscript and the various people behind bring it into being and preserving it.

* At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson - Delightfully Bryson. The book had the curious effect of heightening my awareness of toxins in my home and has prompted me to redouble my efforts to simplify my domestic environment.

* The Corrections by Jonatham Franzen - Wow. Captures all of the irony and dynamic of grown children coming to terms with aging parents declining health. Listened almost continuously over 2 days - captivating. (Decided to listen to Corrections when I couldn't get into Freedom.)

* Little Bee by Chris Cleave - Another book that was so captivating I just kept listening till it was through. So sad, so well written.

* Tinkers by Paul Harding - Most literary undertaking this year. Still pondering it because honestly, I didn't understand it. Even so, every once in a while a small flash of delayed insight occurs to me...

* Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - Delightful fiction. Yes, one can find love at any age.
Still Alice by Lisa Genova - Powerful insight into the effects of Alzheimer's disease.

* Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance by Nouriel Roubini - An apolitical (how refreshing!) look at the past, present and future of our financial/banking/monetary system.

* The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Woa by Junot Diaz - Since so much of this books is "feel" and I don't speak Spanish, the narration brought the book to life for me.

* Judy Moody by Megan McDonald - Now I see why so many 8 year old girls get turned on to reading through this series.

message 11: by Lars (new)

Lars Guthrie | 91 comments Dana, Julie, Tia, Lee, Lilly: Great lists!

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 1 comments Hi!

My favorites were:

Orphans of the Sky by Robert A Heinlein. It is a wonderful pair of short stories that create one complete story. It gives a great account of what might happen in the travels of a generation ship.

Puppet Masters by Robert A Heinlein. I'm just a big Heinlein fan and listened to far more than this one and the above, but I'll stop here. One of my favorite books by him.

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay. I've watched the Showtime show for a while so I decided to check out the source material. It was funny to read that much of the dialogue in the show is lifted straight from the book.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I had always wanted to read some Matheson so I thought this was a good place to start, having seen the Heston then Smith movies. Well worth it.

A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. I was a philosophy major and have read the massive Copleston History of Philosophy (well worth reading, if you have time for it). Compared to the Copleston, this was far less detailed and probably less accurate, but it was infinitely more pleasurable. It was also fun to hear Russell's views on certain philosophers, some said with vitriol (e.g., Hegel was a mystic and the only way that his account of history works if is he either lied or was massively ignorant).

I am not sure if these count, but The Teaching Company Lectures are simply fantastic. I listened to a number, and they took up most of my listening time in 2010. I particularly enjoyed the lectures on complexity, genetics, and philosophy of science.

Honorable mention: Don Quixote. It is my favorite novel to read or listen to, but I didn't have the opportunity to do so this past year.

message 13: by Dana (new)

Dana | 8 comments Thank you for your unique perspective. I think I will add Don Quixote to my list.

Dana

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Love reading all these suggestions, they really help me identify what to try out this year and remind me of some old favorites. Love I Am Legend. I would love to listen to the Dexter books. And will check out A History of Western Philosophy and The Teaching Company Lectures.

message 15: by Lilly (new)

Lilly (lilshoe) | 33 comments Mod
Reading goals for 2011: broaden my reading/listening. Thank you for all of your recs, especially because they are all over the board. I find the more varied my listening, the more energy I have for reading/listening in general and for giving my full attention (or partial, depending on what I'm doing in tandem) to each book. Having said that, also like to listen to books in a loose sequence - maybe every other - that are thematically related. Lately I've been stumbling upon books that are art/war related including Book of the Dead by Geraldine Brooks and Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear, one by a Pulitzer prize winning author, the other a Agatha Christie style mystery series. No matter, reading each, enhanced the other. From Tia's recs, I'm going to give Marlon James a try and from Jonathan's, try Robert A. Heinlein. many thanks!