What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. A baby is found on the moor & adopted by an unmarried woman

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) I believe that this was a series of three books and I read the first two. I think the following events took place over the first two books.

An abandoned baby girl is found on the moor by an unmarried woman, who decides to keep the baby anyway. Eventually, the woman marries, has her own baby girl, and the two girls are raised as sisters. The younger sister, however, is something of a slut, and gets herself in a series of trouble. All her life the abandoned girl is shadowed by the rich guy from the area (this is in the late 1800's and the mood of the books are reminiscent of the Thomas Hardy books). The abandoned girl's adoptive parents die and she learns to take care of herself, living on the moor, and she learns to buy & sell horses. Eventually she runs away for some reason, probably to do with the rich, nasty man, and finds herself in the coal mining region of England. She takes a job taking care of the house & young children of a miner whose wife has died. Things become very hard for the family, and she goes down in the mine with them and learns how to mine. The rich, nasty man is looking for her. She runs away again, but he finds her, and he coerces her to marry him, probably something to do with her younger sister, who is in trouble again. On their wedding night, the rich, nasty man takes her home to his beautiful house, but does not come to her bedroom. He thinks to himself, At last his daughter is home. And I think that is the very end of the second book.

message 2: by MB (What she read) (last edited Jan 10, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Somehow this sounds like a Catherine Cookson type of plot to me. I have no idea which title, as I haven't read more than 2-3, and those not recently.

She wrote quite a few novels, so hopefully looking at the link will help? Maybe you'll recognize a title or a plot?

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) Thanks, MB, but I am pretty sure the author was man. It was a while ago that I read it, but even then I knew who Catherine Cookson was. And, I don't believe I've ever read any books by her.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Well, Susan has left the Group...presumably this can be moved to Abandoned.