Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Rachel's 50 in 2011

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 1. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland
Would have enjoyed this if I'd been high. Too weird.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 2. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire
Thrilling story.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 3. True Grit by Charles Portis True Grit
Now I want to see the movie. Loved the Biblical references and sound theology.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 4. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay
Great series - sad to be done reading them.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 5. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
My dad gave me his copy on my birthday. Great story and loved the movie as a kid. Recently watched it with my kids, and they fell in love with the handsome mongoose as well.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 6. Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Thirteenth Tale
Book lovers will enjoy this intriguing mystery.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 7. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold The Lovely Bones
This was just okay for me.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 8. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk
Trash.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 9. Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan Tender Morsels
I'll stick to Brothers Grimm.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 10. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Shadow of the Wind
Lots of enjoyable twists.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 11. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling
Charming and the illustrations remind me of Edward Gorey's work.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 12. A Dog on Barkham Street by Mary Stolz A Dog on Barkham Street
Enjoyable children's book, especially for boys.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 13. Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater Mr. Popper's Penguins
Cute story - looking forward to seeing Jim Carrey as Mr. Popper.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 14. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Because of Winn-Dixie
Sweet and melancholy story that is full of hope.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 15. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann Let the Great World Spin
I think this is a good book to discuss in literary classes, probably why I didn't like it.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 16. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Fun trilogy - liked the ending.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 17. My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira My Name is Mary Sutter
We've come a long way, baby.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 18. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants
Amazing story!!

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 19. Room by Emma Donoghue Room
Easy read, but annoying.

message 20: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 796 comments I've read so many varying opinions on Room - guess I'll have to read it one of these days to see which camp I fall into...

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 20. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief
Beautiful story.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 21. The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket The Bad Beginning
Fun kids' book.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 22. The Elements of Style Illustrated by William Strunk The Elements of Style
Good tips for writing.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 23. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen The Peach Keeper
Trifling.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 24. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult Plain Truth
Good story, but I figured it out.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 25. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives by Gwyn Kirk Multicultural Perspectives
Should be called Disturbing Perspectives.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 26. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale
Want to see the movie again.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 27. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Great! Wish I had finished these long ago.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 28. The MacArthur Daily Bible Read through the Bible in one year, with notes from John MacArthur by Thomas Nelson The MacArthur Daily Bible
Good for a One-Year Bible.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 29. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Exciting throughout.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 30. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The ending made me sad. One to go.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 31. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Loved the series! Want to read them again.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 32. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

message 34: by Rachel (last edited Dec 18, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 33. First Light by Rebecca Stead First Light
Reminded me of City of Ember

message 35: by Rachel (last edited Nov 02, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 34. Lord of the Flies by William Golding Lord of the Flies
T=Total Depravity

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 35. Yiddish with Dick and Jane by Ellis Weiner Yidish with Dick and Jane
I love yiddish, but did Dick & Jane really need to be involved.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 36. The Autobiography Of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Think he needs to work on the virtue of humility.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 37. Globalization A Very Short Introduction (fully updated new edition) (Very Short Introductions) by Manfred Steger Gloalization: A Very Short Introduction
Good for a textbook but didn't agree with everything.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 38. Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain Pudd'nhead Wilson
I'd buy Pudd'nhead Wilson's calendar.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 39. In the Name of Identity Violence and the Need to Belong by Amin Maalouf In the Name of Identity: Violence and the Need to Belong
Didn't agree with most of his views.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 40. Introducing Global Issues by Michael T. Snarr Introducing Global Issues
Not too bad for a textbook.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 41. The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3) by Jeanne Birdsall The Penderwicks at Point Mouette
Charming as always.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 42. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
I predict a sequel.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 43. Time for Kids Presidents of the United States (Time For Kids) by Editors of TIME For Kids Time for Kids: Presidents of the United States
Brushing up on my presidents.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 44. Presidents (DK Eyewitness Books) by James David Barber Presidents
Still need more information.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 98 comments 45. Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption  by Laura Hillenbrand Unbroken
Amazing!!