Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Book Discussions > Do you reread books?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I have a ton of books in my house and many bookshelves yet I think in my lifetime I may have only reread one book for a bookclub. So do any of you reread a book and under what circumstances?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I have some kids books and classics that I like to reread, generally if I'm in a reading rut and don't feel like trying anything new, or if I'm studying and don't have time to read. Nancy Drew, the Babysitters Club, anything by Hilary McKay and the Ramona Quimby books are always good when I want to read something but don't have much time. Comfort reads, I guess. And every now and then I like to reread one of the Little Women or Anne of Green Gables books.

I don't think I tend to reread adult books at the moment, though. Interesting...

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (daneliha) I have many times. Not usually ones that I've read in a book club, but I have many favourites that I re-read every 3-5 years.

Some I think were the first books that touched me, others I've found at each stage in life I get something new out of :)

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I never re-read a book yet. But I have not deleted any books from my kindle that I may want to re-read.

Hey Rachel, have you grabbed any of those books for the kindle? All classics are free!!! I found all of the Anne of Green Gables series, Pollyanna, Little Woman and so many more. I just wish that Little House on the Prairie series would be available for the kindle too.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Indeed, I did get several of those books for my Kindle! I was really excited when I discovered pretty much the entire works of Louisa May Alcott on the Gutenberg Project as she's one of my favourite authors.

I'm fairly certain that books only become public domain (and therefore free) if they were published before 1923, and I think LHOTP was later than that, sadly :/ I've really got back into LHOTP again recently because I got the boxset of the first season of the TV show for my birthday a few months ago. Now I only wish I had time to reread the books!

message 6: by Diane U (last edited Jan 08, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments My hubby and I love that show too! We just got the last season for Christmas this year. My hubby wanted to read the books but when I told him that they were written for a 8-12 year old girl he changed his mind. That is his favorite show of all time.

message 7: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder is the one I reread and loved reading it the second time. One of my bookclubs was doing a Juvenille Fiction for one of the months. I just love to read that one in the winter!!!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Diane, that is so sweet that your husband loves that show! Simon saw the title sequence and thought it looked too cheesy, but I'm sure I'll get him to watch it some day :)

It's lovely how women everywhere adore LHOTP, both my mum and I loved the books and the show as children. I hope my daughters will do too :)

message 9: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I definitely re-read books. I have read Harry Potter, the entire series at least 3 times, most books at least 5. Also, I have read The Chronicles of Narnia multiple times as well. Some other books I have read a bunch of time are Agatha Cristie books such as Death Comes As The End. :)

message 10: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I very rarely reread books. Though there are a few books I read about 10 years ago I might go back and read again. I also have thought about rereading Gone with the Wind and Scarlett. But I have so many books I have not read that I am not in a hurry to reread.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I havn't reread very many books. Although there were maybe two or three that I read over and over and over again. I usually don't reread books unless I have nothing else to read.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 9 comments Yes I do reread Books! Some books are just readding again. What I found is I find something I did not find the first time.

message 13: by Tia (new)

Tia I definitely re-read books. Matter of fact, I have gotten a series on my NOOK that I have already read in paperback form and want to read it again.

message 14: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments One book by Agatha Christie that I wouldn't mind rereading is And Then There Were None which I believe was previously titled Ten Little Indians.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1571 comments Mod
Kristy wrote: "One book by Agatha Christie that I wouldn't mind rereading is And Then There Were None which I believe was previously titled Ten Little Indians."

I wouldn't mind rereading that one either -- it's been 30+ years since I did. Maybe I've forgotten a lot of it. :-(

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I reread books all the time. About half of the books I read in a given year tend to be books I own and love. I don't have much of a long-term memory so after a few years, I've forgotten enough of the story line to read books again. Ha Ha.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Jean | 13 comments Me too Rachel!!!

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Mostly the classics Grapes of Wrath. Pride and Prejudice. Sense and Sensibility. Anne of Green Gables., The Great Gatsby. I have reread the Poisonwood Bible and would read Pillars of the Earth again.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments I would like to reread books more, but I've still got tons of books that I haven't read once yet, so I don't have the time for it.

A did reread some of the Harry Potter books, as new ones in the series came out and I couldn't remember what had happened before.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Long Winter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Ingalls Wilder (other topics)