What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. about Ti Jean being carried across a river on the back of some kind of bird (eagle/raven/etc). The bird agrees to carry him if Ti Jean will carry the meat for the bird to eat.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Looking for a friend - he remembers being read a story in elementary school in New Brunswick about Ti Jean being carried across a river on the back of some kind of bird (eagle/raven/etc). The bird agrees to carry him if Ti Jean will carry the meat for the bird to eat. Halfway across, the bird has finished the meat and Ti Jean ends up slicing off part of his buttocks for the bird.

Seems like a really strange story to read to kids, but who knows. My friend attended elementary school in the mid to late 80s.

The only Ti Jean stories I'm finding are related to the short movie. There are various references to Ti Jean but not the actual stories. I'm thinking it was probably part of a collection (based on usual patterns of reading aloud to students), and might even be mixed up with another story.

Thanks much!

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Is it in english....? I'm thinking it could be Ti Jean l'horizon but I don't know if that was ever translated from the french.

message 3: by HeavyReader (last edited Feb 17, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I just found a book called When Apples Grew Noses and White Horses. The subtitle is Tales of Ti-Jean. Here's the link.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

I'm not sure it it relates to the short movie you mentioned. It is in English. Unfortunately, the description of the book does not mention the slicing off of anyone's buttocks.

I also learned when doing this search that "Ti Jean" was a nickname of Jack Kerouac.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Wkd, given that you were looking for a friend, should people keep looking for this book?

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4302 comments I haven't heard of Ti Jean but I remember Bulgarian tale that has somewhat similar ending: http://spellbinders.org/story/the-thr...
In the version I read after they reached the land the eagle asked why the taste was different and told the hero had he known it was his flesh earlier, he would have been eaten. Something along these lines.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Wkd, given that you were looking for a friend, should people keep looking for this book?"

No response in 6 years. Moving to Abandoned.