MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

2011 Individual Challenges > Dawdler's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawdler (last edited Feb 05, 2011 11:27PM) (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments January 2011 Book List

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Finished)
I've heard great things about this book, it had some funny parts but it kind of fell flat for me.

2. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Finished)
I really enjoyed this book. I'm far from a runner but it showed me how resilient the human body and gave me some ideas on how to improve my health

3. Cop Hater-Ed McBain (Finished)
Book written in the 50s liked reading how different books were written back then compared to today, your basic cop mystery book.

4. Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet by M.C. Beaton (Finished)
Standard mystery who done it set in the English country quick read, I like these type of books

5. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier-Ishmael Beah (Finished)
I really couldn't get into the book, it was an audio book and I found my mind would wander too much, I'd rather read then do the audio book thing.

6. Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer (Finished)
Interesting book and it really makes you think about how the government is run and like most Krakauer books the setting and surroundings sometimes come more to the forefront then the actual subject that it is based on.

7. Hollywood Station by Joseph Wambaugh (Finished)
Interesting story, having commentary on a precinct with a story that takes time to develop but I thought intertwined the characters into the story rather well.

8. Hollywood Crows by by Joseph Wambaugh (Finished)
Continued from Hollywood Station, the only difference was I felt a deeper connection to the characters and living a few minutes away from the area in the book I could relate to almost everything in the book.

9. Heatwave by Richard Castle (Finished)
Is a book based on the TV series, the book was ok nothing special, I think what hindered the book for me was I kept picturing the TV characters instead of looking at it as an independent book and the characters differed a lot from the book and TV series

10. High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips (Finished)
Mackenzie Phillips autobiography, I had read that a lot of people were shocked about what she had to say in the book. I really wasn't too shocked about what she had to say but then again I grew up in a violent and drug infested neighborhood so I could relate to what she was saying on a smaller scale. I am a bit surprised she is still alive and she doesn't look worse for wear.

message 2: by GA (new)

GA (garussell) | 312 comments I plan to read Cop Hater in the next couple of months. Glad you liked it.

message 3: by Dawdler (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments thanks, I'm a sucker for those type of books, I'm planning to read all of McBain's books this year, should be fun

message 4: by GA (new)

GA (garussell) | 312 comments "All" is a lot! Didn't he write something like 87 books to go along with his 87th Precinct?

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I've heard about that series but never had the time to start. How is it?

message 6: by Dawdler (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments yeah its a lot and I should have been more specific for this year I'm shooting for the 87th precinct series but I figure if I try to read all of them over the next two years I'll never be short of reading material :)

message 7: by Dawdler (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments MrsJoseph I like them because I like the gritty cop type of mystery. I kind of like the older stuff from the fifties because there wasn't any fancy forensic stuff and it required a bit more originality.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Have you tried the ABC Mysteries by Sue Grafton? She really doesn't do any forensics (but I haven't finished the series).

Sue Grafton: Three Complete Novels; A is for Alibi; B is for Burglar; C is for Corpse

message 9: by Dawdler (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments no I haven't but thanks for pointing it out, its now on my to read list, I'll let you know what I think when I'm done :)

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :)

message 11: by Dawdler (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:09AM) (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments February 2011 Book List

11. The Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace by Michelle Slatalla (Finished)
I'm in the IT Field and I'm fascinated with the history of hacking and hackers, this book tracks the origins of some of the early hackers on phone lines.

12. A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (Finished)
based on the recommendation by MrsJoseph, I'm ready to jump into this series and I enjoyed the first book and I think it always helps me enjoy a book when I know the are where the book character goes.

13. A Lions Tale by Chris Jericho (Finished)
The autobiography of wrestler Chris Jericho, I'm a fan of wrestling and its inner workings so I loved the book.

14. Undisputed by Chris Jericho (Finished)
Continuing from the first book, great stuff about human nature and striving for your dreams and now Jericho has gone mainstream with this book

March 2011

15. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (In Progress)
I've heard a lot about this book and I'm on a inspirational book mood so this should be a good one.