Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > ~Em's 50 in 2011~

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Only got to 42 last year -- not too shabby, but I'm aiming to get all 50 in the next 51 weeks!

message 2: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Never Let Me Go (Movie Tie-In Edition) by Kazuo Ishiguro

#1: Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
Very intriguing novel to start out the year. A great study in POV and reliability of the narrator. I can't wait to watch the movie and see how the screenplay differs. There was something about the general plot that didn't feel completely unique to me. I can't put my finger on what part felt repeated from another source, but I felt like I had read parts of this plot somewhere else. The best part to me was the characters and how each dealt (or didn't deal with) the transitional period they were forced into. Overall an enjoyable read, but I can't say that I will remember it in a year's time.

message 3: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

#2: The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I felt like I was back in the novels of Hugo and Dumas! LOVED this book! It had an absolutely wonderful voice, a plot straight out of the 19th century French novelists, and (best of all) an unabashed love of the written word. It is beautifully (and, at times, hilariously) written, and when I put it back on the shelf after finishing, I had a huge smile on my face. There is nothing better than a book that reminds you why you fell in love with reading, and this novel did that for me.

message 4: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Snow Blind (Monkeewrench, #4) by P.J. Tracy

#3: Snow Blind, by PJ Tracy
Wanted a fun, winter-full book that would also remind me of one of my favorite cities -- Minneapolis! PJ Tracy, once again, has (have?) written a fun, gripping mystery that describes in fantastic detail the perils of a real Minnesota winter. And murdered bodies dressed up like snowmen. CREEPY! Just a warning to other PJ Tracy fans, this book has very little to do with the Monkeewrench crew -- it primarily follows Gino and Magozzi, which is not a bad thing at all!

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments The Shadow of the Wind IS one of the best books ever written. Right now I am reading the prequel (The Angel's Game), and am savoring it as well.

Rose

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments I LOVED both of the Zafon books! They have such atmosphere.

message 7: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

#4: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
Hello, most depressing book EVER. Superbly-written, but depressing as Hell! I don't cry, and rarely tear up, and the last few chapters of this novel just got me! Memorable voice and a well-told story. But don't read if you are fragile in any kind of way.

message 8: by Emelie (last edited Apr 01, 2011 08:13PM) (new)

Emelie | 61 comments The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

#5: The Angel's Game, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
MY NEW FAVORITE AUTHOR. I love this man, and will buy anything he writes the day it comes out. I need to figure out a system to not read these books so fast. I just get so caught up in the style and atmosphere, I literally cannot stop reading. The same gothic feel and throwbacks to plots and diction straight out of Dumas and Hugo totally drive the story. I liked Shadow of the Wind better (perhaps fewer super-natural elements?), but this was a great prequel, and I loved how some of the characters overlapped. Thank God he has a third book, the Prince of Mist, which I am going to purchase tomorrow.

message 9: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

#6: Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld
Was not anticipating to get as caught up in this book as I did! Loved it! Similar to Hunger Games, and I'm excited because I don't know exactly where the story is going. I read this while my students were doing free-reading, and now they all want to read this book because they saw how I reacted to most of the twists, which are executed masterfully. Highly recommend to anyone suffering from Hunger Games withdrawal.

message 10: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Pretties (Uglies, #2) by Scott Westerfeld

#7: Pretties, by Scott Westerfeld
Here's hoping that a good, solid teen trilogy will help me get back on track to 50 books this year! Loved Uglies -- not as big a fan of Pretties. Still had twists and turns to keep me engaged, and I really enjoy the whole concept. Westerfeld creates a unique world in this trilogy, and even though things start to fray if I think about them too much, I like being in his world.

message 11: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments Specials (Uglies, #3) by Scott Westerfeld

#8: Specials, by Scott Westerfeld
Was less of a fan of Specials than I was of Pretties. I appreciate that the series sort of went full-circle, but it had even fewer WHOA! moments than the earlier two books. And the final "twist" at the end just... didn't work for me. I felt like they put so much emphasis on Tally's ability to change herself in the first book, but sort of negated it as the series went on. I don't know -- I'm glad I read it, and enjoyed the series, but I felt like the books became a bit of a letdown.

message 12: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments House Rules by Jodi Picoult

#9: House Rules, by Jodi Picoult
Really enjoyed this novel. I felt like it was incredibly typical of her novels, both in style and subject matter, but reading her books is becoming as comfortable as slipping on a good pair of shoes. I know that it will be heart-wrenching, yet well-told, with enough twists to keep things interesting and enough drama to make it hard to put down. I wasn't sure how accurate the chapters from Jacob's POV were, and at times they seemed too empathetic to be legitimately from an Asberger's perspective. As always, the chapter's from the mom's POV were the strongest, and there were enough strong supporting characters to really move the story along.

message 13: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 61 comments The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

#10: The Coldest Winter Ever, by Sister Souljah
Loved the plot. Loved the voice. HATED the main character.