Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

eBook Lending > Major Publishers Quietly Pull Lending Ability

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorie (last edited Jan 07, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Apparently a few publishers have stopped supporting book lending on ereaders. This comes coincidentally after Amazon made ebook lending available for the Kindle. There doesn't seem to be any official announcement by the publishers (or B&N or Amazon), but from my own observations Penguin Group and Soho Press appear to be two of the publishers. At least these are the two that have affected many of my previously lendable ebooks. The ebooks are still showing the LendMe icon on apps and on the Nook, but when you try to lend it you receive an error. To know which of your books are affected you need to look at the Nookbook again on B&N's site. If the LendMe icon has been removed, the ebook is no longer available to lend. I'm disappointed to say the least.

message 2: by Kelly A (new)

Kelly A (kander33) That is just plain stupid. But thanks for the information Dorie.

message 3: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Bahumbug!

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarajoybrown) | 12 comments Hmmmm....anybody see a class-action suit coming, with what we pay for the books, and to lose the lend-ability after we were told that it would be lend-able when we purchased it? That just seems unreasonable.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (darwindog96) Any lawyers out there interested in taking the case?? It seems so stupid because books can only be lent once anyway so I don't see any problems but upset customers. . .

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (squirrelflight77) | 15 comments yep.. that really sucks.. >:(

message 7: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) I lost lending ability on more than 10 of my own books. Definitely sucks.

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) I actually e-mail Penguin to let them know how disappointed I was in this. A physical copy may bring them in more money but it's lendable a hundred times over, an I can also sell it to a second hand book store make a little money and then someone else makes profit selling it....??? How is what they allow on the Nook as bad as that?

I've vowed to not purchase any books that are not lendable. And I will get everything else from my library as they lend ebooks.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I haven't taken advantage of the lendable ability on my Nook yet, but was planning on it, since a good friend and my niece both got Nooks for Christmas. Not sure why the publishers would pull a feature like this - I don't see how they would lose money - the books are only lendable 1 time. We should rally together and flood Penguins's email with complaints.

message 10: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Linda wrote: "Not sure why the publishers would pull a feature like this..."

It's all about money and deals. They're probably offered a good sum of money from Amazon for exclusive lending only on the Kindle or some business which in turn makes the Kindle more desirable.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) JK that's just horrible. I own a lot of books from Penguin and I'm just so sick of living in a world where bottom lines matter more then customer service. I swear I was born in the wrong time period! LOL.

message 12: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) It looks like B&N has updated their site. If you pull up 'My Nook Library' it now shows accurately which of your books are still lendable.

message 13: by Carlissa (new)

Carlissa | 59 comments Some publishers seem to be pulling their ebooks from retailers altogether. I had an ebook (The Woman I Was Born To Be by Susan Boyle) on my wishlist at B&N and now find out that it's not available anywhere as an ebook except at Simon & Schuster. Simon & Schuster still has it listed as being at several different retailers, but none of them have it.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie This makes me mad. I kept trying to borrow the new King book and come to realize it can't be loaned out.