We LoveFilm discussion

TV Shows / TV Movies etc. > Favourite TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:02AM) (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
I prefer to watch movies rather than TV, but there are/were some great TV shows that I really enjoy/ed:

1) Prison Break - this show constantly kept me on the edge of my seat, esp seasons 1&2.

2) Friday Night Lights - really good depiction of modern middle America. The first and second seasons were the best, but for me the show started going down hill from the middle of the 3rd season. This show also suffered quite a bit after the writer's strike.

3) Rome - Just when I was really getting into this show, it was cancelled.

4) Forensic Files/FBI Files - can be very macabre, but I love learning about forensics and how to look for clues at a crime scene. These shows have also helped me to be safer by being more aware of my surroundings. I used to just go about my business with single minded determination or lost in thought, not paying attention to what's going on around me. Now I involuntarily check out everyone on the subway, check my mirrors to see if I'm being followed or have my phone ready to dial 911 if I'm walking home alone after dark. It's not that I don't feel safe or am paranoid, its just being more aware.

5) The Wire - I enjoy this show. Being from Brooklyn, I think the show's depiction of the drug underworld is pretty spot on. However, unlike Prison Break, the action is very slow to brew. The audience spends a lot of time listening to the intense bureaucracy of the Baltimore PD. While authentic it's just boring for me. Let me see the cops getting the bad guys or the interpersonal relationships of the characters. I find that far more interesting. But that's just me.

message 2: by Brenda (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Brenda I'm going to copy Davina here, and post some of my favorites. :)

1) House M.D. - My absolute favorite, although this season isn't quite as good as all of the previous seasons.

2) NCIS - Has always managed to continually have great episodes.

3) CSI - The original CSI only. I never got into the others.

4) Law & Order SVU - Should actually be #2 on my list after House. This show has run for so long, and doesn't look like it will end anytime soon.

5) The Event - A new show that I thought I could NEVER like. I'm not a fan of sci-fi type stuff, but this one turned out really good. Every episode revealed a new twist. The characters seemed "fake" in my opinion at first, but got better as the show went on into the season.

6) Survivor - Yes, I like it, a lot of people don't.

7) America's Got Talent - Such a fun show to watch. It's a nice change from the other more serious type shows I watch mentioned above. :)

8) Desperate Housewives - I LOVE THIS SHOW. The first episode I saw was somewhere in the third season. After seeing about two more episodes, I was hooked. I went back and watched every one starting at season 1. Since then, I've never missed one. The show changes SO MUCH with each episode. It's almost like a cliffhanger every time. I'm so hooked on the show. :)

message 3: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Oh yes, how could I forget CSI and CSI Miami. I'm not into them as much as I was when they first came out, but yeah whenever I'm channel surfing and either of these two is on I'll watch it. I'm not so much of fan of CSI NY. Dunno why. Maybe because its so close to home...

I've been hearing good things about the event, and really like the promotion poster (the one with all the characters running) but like you Brenda I'm not much of a sci-fi fan so I've been slow to check it out.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Davina, in my opinion, I don't think anyone could just pick it up without starting from the first episode. It's got a pretty detailed storyline. I like that each episode is almost like watching a movie.

Oh NO! I forgot Desperate Housewives... I'm going to add that to my post above. :)

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Here's a list of my favs:

CSI: I only like the regular one.

Criminal Minds: I just started watching this. Love it and can I say that I would love to have Shemar Moore :)

Law and Order SVU:

House: I need this show. Love it and I love House's smart mouth.

And yes I will admit it I watch the real housewives of anything. I hate reality tv but I'm into. It's stupid but funny to me.

message 6: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I used to love I love New York, Sam ... so hey you're not alone on the trashy tv show circuit. ;)

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 40 comments I have a chronic illness, my hubby loves TV, and I don't sleep - so I watch way too much TV.

I like all the CSIs - except Miami.

Criminal Minds - I have to agree with Samantha - he is very drool worthy. lol

I like all the Law & Orders - but the special ones (SVU & Criminal Intent are the best).

NCIS - great characters

The Mentalist - Patrick Jane is such an interesting and appealing character. So cute too!

White Collar - Again with the drooling - he could con me any day.

Justified - This is more for my husband - but I gotta admit that a big strong man who could shoot up a bunch a bad guys in no time flat isn't all bad. His character almost reminds me of Denzel in Book of Eli - just mowing down the bad guys.

Psych - this one makes us laugh

The Closer

The Whole Truth - This is a new one to us. I like how they show both sides and you never really know for sure if the person was really guilty or innocent until the very end.

Nikita - that is a sexy, kick butt show

Then we like some of the more SciFi shows like

V

Fringe

Merlin

The Event

---
Reality TV

I don't watch much of it on a regular basis but I did watch -

Dancing With the Stars

I watch some of the shows on HGTV and sometimes shows like Top Chef - or the challenges where they build huge cakes shaped like houses or Christmas trees - stuff like that.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I haven't watched Justified like I should have. I started off strong and I fell off. I think it came down to my books and internet and they won but I admit that is a good show.

D, its so funny to even imagine you loving, "I Love NY" but I had watched it too. Pure comedy! LOL.

message 9: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Sam, yeah, I know. It kinda just happened. I was browsing one night and stumbled upon one of the more outrageous episodes and I got hooked from there. New York is just something else. My best friend, who is black, hates her, says she promotes the stereotype that black women are loud and vulgar. She's right, of course, but honestly this show had me in hoots. Definitely a guilty pleasure. LOL!!!

message 10: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Brenda, I managed to catch a rerun of the first episode of The Event. It kinda had the same feel as LOST - which I really liked at first, but got fed up with because of all the (usually unresolved) twists and turns.

But I'm a fan of Blair Underwood, the guy who plays the president, so I'll probably keep watching to see where it goes.

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Yea, I can see how you'd feel that way. So far, I've been hanging on with it, but, I've read many reviews that said the show would end up going downhill. I'm not into sci-fi at all, so maybe it's more of a new genre that I didn't know I liked. Maybe I should pick up a sci-fi book to see. :)

message 12: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Yeah, same here. Not much of a sci fi fan. I always have trouble suspending my belief for too long. he he he. Don't shoot me, but it kinda is the same problem I have with paranormal (although some paranormal work for me. For eg, the black dagger brotherhood books before they started to crash and burn -- again please don't shoot me if you're (still) a fan of these books.

If you want to try a sci fi book that's on the lighter side I can recommend the Galaxy books. Hmmm ... I will have to check the full name and author for you as I can't remember them. I have such a bad memory, ugh.

Also The Chrysalids, a book I read years and years ago -- I think back when I was in college, if memory serves. It's a YA book, but I remember it being really good. Don't recall the author though, but I'm sure if you look it up here or on Google you'll find it.

As for whether The Event will last -- I kinda have a love hate relationship with the critics. Most of them are film/TV snobs who are mostly out of touch with what the general public finds entertaining. If I listened to every critic I read I wouldn't watch half the movies I do. Didn't they have similar predictions for LOST and it had a pretty decent run, didn't it? In fact, aren't new episodes still being produced? I no longer watch the show and since I don't watch a lot of TV anyway, I'm not sure, but I think it's still on or...?

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda That's the same with me. I'm not into the sci fi or paranormal either. I do LOVE the whole vampire & warewolf thing though. But, when it comes to machines, or people turning into weird stuff, I'm out. LoL.

I agree about the critics. They usually are film/tv snobs.

Blah, I have to go finish cooking. :(

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I watched the first episode or two of the Event. Thought it was good but for the same reasons Davina had, I didn't stick with it. I had enough with LOST.

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Samantha, I agree. I really don't know why The Event has held my attention for so long, but it has. :p

message 16: by Azzah (last edited Feb 22, 2011 12:36AM) (new)

Azzah | 10 comments for me i like the famous LOST
I also like OPRAH WINFERRY show

message 17: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:44PM) (new)

Now that Spartacus: Blood & Sand is known to me it has to be added to the flock! :)

Do come with more suggestions of great TV shows, guys! I normally don't watch TV so had it not been for you guys tuning me in to Spartacus I never would have watched it even though I've heard and seen people talking about it all the time. I'm usually not one to jump on the bandwagon of popular culture so I ignored the hype until it was recommended to me by people I trust. People I know who have parallel tastes to mine and it was a great success!