SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > Favourite Series

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I thought people can post here their recommendations for Series / saga that ranks high in their reading list.

You can also indicate if the series has ended or still waiting future books. It was also be good for members looking for a good series for the Series Challenge.

Here are some of mine:

Vampire Academy Richelle Mead - Complete - (Read all)
Hunger Games Suzanne Collins complete - (Need to read Mockingjay)

Stephanie Plum Series Janet Evanovich - Read upto book 3
Sookie Stackhouse- Charlaine Harris - Read upto 9
Chicagoland Vampires - Chloe Neill - Read 3

What about your favourite Series?

message 2: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Mistborn... although that might just be because I just read it
Millenium
The Balgaraid
Earth's Childern
The Riftwar Saga

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I always wanted to ask someone. How is Sookie Stackhouse? True blood is being aired here in the Netherlands and I must say I do not like the series. Normally that is a good thing because 9 times out of 10 I don't like what they do with books once the film them but it put me off of reading the series. So I was just wondering what you think about the books.
And speaking of vampire series, has anyone read the vampire huntress series by L.A. Banks? I just hear about it a couple of days ago and was wondering if it is any good.

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
Fav Series:

Vampire Academy - Loved - Read all
Infinite Days - Loved - Only first one out
Sookie Stackhouse - Loved - Read till 9
Firelight - Enjoyed - Only first one out
Hex Hall - Enjoyed - Only first one out
Soulless - enjoyed - Only read first one, 3 in total
Hunger games - enjoying - Only read first one, 3 in total
Black dagger brotherhood - Enjoying - Read up till 8 or so

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Barbara wrote: "I always wanted to ask someone. How is Sookie Stackhouse? True blood is being aired here in the Netherlands and I must say I do not like the series. Normally that is a good thing because 9 times ou..."

Barbara If you have only watched the True Blood series and havent read the books, then let me tell you there is no comparison. I watched quite a few of the Tv Series and they go way off track with their storylines, its also alot darker, something which I didnt like and was one of the reasons I stopped watching it. When compared to the light and funny books True Blood falls flat on its face. It is hard for some people to separate the two and consider them as individual creations (which they aren’t) but in doing so, audiences give True Blood a chance to shine. So, is it a great adaptation: No. Is it a good series: Well according to the ratings yes.

I have never read any of LA.Banks books Barbara.

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
I enjoy both the Sookie books and the tv series :)

Also never read any LA.Banks books

message 7: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I have to admit that there is just something about the actress that plays Sookie that makes me want to hit someone! lol

She is the reason I cannot watch it.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments lol...maybe its the gap in her teeth Chriz, I often find myself wanting to punch Mark Boucher when watching cricket, or maybe he just irritates me for another reason.

message 9: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Emma wrote: "lol...maybe its the gap in her teeth Chriz, I often find myself wanting to punch Mark Boucher when watching cricket, or maybe he just irritates me for another reason."

lol . . . could be :)

message 10: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Parasol Protectorate - Gail Carriger
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins
Night Huntress - Jeaniene Frost
Nightshade - Andrea Cremer
The Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare
Seven Realms - Cinda Williams Chima
Sookie Stackhouse

I'm forgetting some ... possibly a series with only 1 book released so far.

I read book 1-9 of the Sookie Stackhouse series back-to-back, and then watched Season 1 and 2 of True Blood. I must say I far prefer the books - True Blood doesn't really follow the heart of the books (or the story!). Though it has the same characters and a few extras, it's mostly an overly violent exaggerated version of events. I was disappointed that the show didn't have more of Claude / Claudine, but they just skipped over all that and gave Sookie fairy powers. The actors that play Bill and Sookie make me want to hit someone too!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm the lone wolf here - I LOVE True Blood, but I thought the two Sookie books I read were rubbish. That woman is obsessed with adverbs (or she's just a lazy writer) and the endless descriptions of Sookie's outfits and beauty routines are extremely boring.

On the other hand, I like how dark True Blood is. I feel like every recent vampire series or film where vamps and humans co-exist is santised stuff for teens. True Blood has a lot of violence and sex, but it feels far more 'realistic' to me than Vampire Diaries or Twilight, and I care about the characters much more.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
I love the show!
And I like that the book and show are so different, it gives me 2 aspects of the story :)

So far no gripe about any of the actors.

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
Lauren - Mark, Lauren F and I are also True Blood fans!

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I know, but so far I'm the only one in the thread who loves the show and hates the books :)
On season 3 now, and things are getting pretty twisted. Love it...

People often say the TV show is more violent, but I'd say it's about the same. It's just that Harris's descriptions are fuctional but flat - you don't really experience the gravity of what she's writing about, but on the screen you see it for what it is.

I prefer True Blood's humour as well. On the page it has me either rolling my eyes or cringing.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Ok, now I'm interested. I just asked a simple question and all you guys give me these emotional responses. Which I can relate to because I also want to smack someone every time I see Sookie on tv. I don't know what it is about the woman, but I like to strangle her. I still have a lot to read before I could possible think about reading Sookie but I will put it on my to read list just to see for myself what it is all about and what the differences are between the books and the series. Thanks for your ideas.
In all the commotion I forgot to list my favorite series:
The sword of truth - Terry Goodkind
The Avalon books - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Discworld - Terry Pratchett
The books about royal families - Jean Plaidy (she wrote over 40 of them)
The ship books - These were started by Anne McCaffrey
The Derini books - Katherene Kurtz
The realm of the Elderlings - Robin Hobb
The Outlander series - Diana Gabaldon
and of course
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
I'm suprised no one mentioned him since most of you participate in the harry potter challenge.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Poor Anna Paquin.

The gap in her teeth bugs me a little too, but I kind of like the fact that she has that imperfection. Sookie in the books is more of a typical blonde babe, and in the second book is actually described by one character as "the one with the boobs" (to which book Sookie actually responds "yes, the one with the boobs"! TV Sookie would never have put up with that. Ick).

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Kahlan wrote: "Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Parasol Protectorate - Gail Carriger
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins
Night Huntress - Jeaniene Frost
Nightshade - Andrea Cremer
The Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare
Seve..."

I also enjoyed the first book in the Nightshade series Kahlan, I just recently read it. I also enjoyed Firelight By Sophie Jordan although it wouldnt be one of my favourites, a little too YA for me. If you read a series when you finish the last page you want to be dying to read the next book.

message 18: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I enjoyed . . .

The Magnus Pack series by Shelly Laurenston
The Pride series by Shelly Laurenston
The Honeybun Hunks series by Sam Cheever
Shadowdwellers series by Jacquelyn Frank
Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
For those who Vampire Academy is a favorite, please go support Adrian :)

http://lusbookblog.blogspot.com/2011/...