North Liberty Readers discussion

Challenges > Pamela's 2011 TBR Book Challenge...YAY!!!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (last edited Oct 11, 2011 09:11AM) (new)

Pamela | 235 comments Mod
OK.....here we are....

1)...Shogun by James Clavell
2)...Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
3)...The Color Purple by Alice Walker
4)...Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
5)...The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
6)...The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny
7)...The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
8)...Out of Captivity by Marc Gonsalves, Keith Stansell, and Tom Howes
9)...Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
10)..Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
11)..Specials by Scott Westerfeld
12)..The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Alt. 1)...Water Witches by Chris Bohjalian
Alt. 2)...The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

...And so it is...and that is all....PHEW!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this challenge...

message 2: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (last edited Jan 17, 2011 02:39PM) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I like this list! Dead Until Dark, The Hunger Games, Woman in White, and The Great Book of Amber are all on my to-be-read list. And I just added Water Witches as well.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

This is awesome Sonja...I am just glad to be included in your group! I really like Chris Bohjalian...I've always been pleasantly surprised by his books. I am really looking forward to his Skeletons at the Feast...maybe for my list next year! Another author I need to include in between or on my list for next year is Alice Hoffman...LOVE LOVE LOVE her....

message 4: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I've never read anything by Chris Bohjalian, though I own Skeleton's at the Feast. It looked good, so I went ahead and bought it. It was on my mental list for this year. White Horses is the only Alice Hoffman book I've ever read. Maybe I need to read more. Some of her books look like fun.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

OOOOO....I've always loved Alice Hoffman! If you are into a little bit of the whimsy or bizarre...she's great. Off the top of my head...a few of my faves are Blue Diary, Blackbird House, Turtle Moon, Seventh Heaven and Second Nature. BUT...my ALL-TIME fave is Practical Magic which was then made into a movie starring Sandra Bullock. The book is better than the movie of course...but I love Sandra Bullock. Alice also wrote some books geared for teens...and Aquamarine is excellent...AND they also made that into the cutest movie...my 6 year-olds LOVE the movie since it is about a mermaid. Since I've always loved Alice...it was a satisfying moment for me to find out that she is also Jodi Picoult's favorite author...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jodi! After all...if Jodi loves her...she MUST be AWESOME!!!

As for Chris Bohjalian...I am surprised how much I liked Trans-Sister Radio. Of his...my favorite is The Double Bind. If you are a Gatsby lover...you'll love The Double Bind. It is intense and gripping and the ending is gut-wrenching. It's one that you want to read again right after finishing....but it is an emotional ride you'll never forget.

I haven't gotten Skeletons yet...but I really want to read it. Even Chris himself says it is one of his personal favorites!

message 6: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
As we've been reading Shogun and talking about it, I keep thinking that you might like the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn ( Across the Nightingale Floor, Grass for His Pillow, Brilliance of the Moon, The Harsh Cry of the Heron, and Heaven's Net Is Wide). They are set in Japan, have elements of historical fiction, and a touch of fantasy. Jenni and I both really liked this series...

message 7: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 913 comments Mod
Hey! I just put skype on my ipod touch! I think that my name there is jenni.rumping and I think that my email address is jrumping@engineering.uiowa.edu.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Just sent you a request and added you to my list...look for me...I think I'm pampops2....YAY!!!!

message 9: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I just added you!! :)

message 10: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Hey!! How ya doing? :)

message 11: by Pamela (new)

man....I've been BUSY! BUT...Juan is on his way home now and I'll pick him up in Omaha tonight. SO...I might get a chance to read more! I am heading to Omaha...and I am going to pick up a copy of The Book of Amber while there...YAY!!! I must admit....I put Shogun down with only 100 pages to go. I just couldn't do it. I WILL FINISH IT THOUGH...just wanted a change of pace. SO...I am reading Her Fearful Symmetry right now. AND....it is more on the disappointing side too...so far I am not batting well on the books I've chosen! How about you? I am staring at the bio about the Americans kidnapped in Colombia though, Out of Captivity, and I'm itching to start that one. We'll see. OR....would Woman in White be more on the line to recharge my reading batteries? Sigh....what to do. Lets Skype soon...this weekend maybe? We have no real plans...so anytime is great for me....

message 12: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Yay! How long will Juan be home for? I hope that you're able to get some relaxing time in, you deserve it! Let me know when you start The Book of Amber, I'm going to read it with you!

Don't worry about Shogun - we'll get it finished. I haven't started it yet since I was so far behind you. If you think you'll pick it up, just give me a week or two notice, and I'll bust through it. :)

I'm finally back on the reading wagon. I finished up A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and I'm currently working on An Echo in the Bone.

Hmmm, back to Shogun... Maybe I'll get around to reading that in June. We're heading back to the Netherlands in June, and I probably will not take a real book with me... I like traveling with my Sony Reader.

Woman in White is a good book, that might be recharging to you! I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure how much we'll be around this weekend... a father of a friend of mine passed away, and the wake and funeral are both this weekend. Depending on how long my friend will stay in IC, I may be trying to get some time in with her... but I think she'll be pretty busy, so I bet I'll be home for some Skype time! I think that mornings will work better for me this weekend.. how about you?

message 13: by Pamela (new)

11 books down.........ONE, just ONE, only ONE to go.....hmmmm....

message 14: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
You're almost done! I've only read 5 of mine. I'm working on 3 others right now though. I kind of ignored the list when I was choosing what to read earlier in the year...

message 15: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

NICE!!!! :) I'm going to get the laser focus turned on so that I can get my list done! :)

message 16: by Pamela (new)

DONE!!! I just finished my 12th book.....officially...DONE with this Challenge!!!! WOO HOO!!!! PHEW!!!

message 17: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Awesome!!

I'm done with 8 of mine, and am working on 2 others right now. I need to get focused and finish... I've realized in the last month or so, that I chose a lot of WWII era (set in 1930-1960) books (Schindler's List, Street of a Thousand Blossoms, Dr. Zhivago, The Shadow of the Wind, Gates of the Forest, My Father's Country) for my list this year. I think next year I need to pick some more lighter books.

message 18: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Nice guys!

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Dr. Zhivago is definitely on my list for next year...I've wanted to read that one for a LONG time...have you read it yet or is it still to come?

message 20: by Pamela (new)

How are you doing Jenni...you list that is? LOL...this was a tough year for reading for me...I've only read 13 books total this year so far and I usually read at least 25 a year....the kids keep me busy....

message 21: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I've read it. Maybe I'm too single, and haven't seen the movie, but I had a hard time reading it as a love story. Most of the book deals with the red/white conflict and who was in charge of which area at any given time. I felt like it was more a political book with a little bit of love tossed in for flavor than an epic love story. The movie is next in my Netflix Queue, so maybe after I see that I'll get it...

message 22: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (last edited Oct 11, 2011 02:44PM) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I may have to re-read it after I've seen the movie. It may help with the name situation if I can picture a face better. It seems that Russians have many names and Pasternak uses them interchangeably. I sometimes had to think before I figured out who he was talking about... Maybe I should have kept a list with the book with everyone's names as they came up...

I mostly liked the writing. Some times it was very "this happened, then this, then this, etc.", but there were some beautifully crafted lines and descriptions mixed in where you could definitely sense the poetry background that Pasternak came from.

message 24: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Fall of Giants is on my list too! I haven't really gotten any further than that though...

message 25: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Well, no pressure, but feel free to add others from my list to yours! :) Haha!

I'm still trying to figure out that last book... and I'm not quite sure if I'll keep Hindu Epics on the list or not. I want to read it, but I'm not overly enthused about it...

message 26: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Khan: Empire of Silver: A Novel will probably make the list since the 5th one just came out and I want to read that one too. Winter's Bone may make it on the list, but I need to go through the books I purchased this year and see what else I have because I'm going to try to pick only books that I already own this year. I also want to pick a larger variety of books. A lot of my list this year was WWII era, and it's getting a little bit tedious here at the end...