MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments I am reading a few books right now - Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb In Death 4, Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan Riyria Revelations 3, and I will be finishing Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead Vampire Academy 6 this weekend when I go to my gf place (we like to read this series together).

I wasn't going to read another In Death book right away, but I ended up picking it up anyway. After this one I will probably take a break in the series.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The End of Marking Time by C.J. West by C.J. West. If you go to his page here, he's giving away copies via email. It's a dystopian/1984ish work.

Warning - I'm wishing I hadn't even seen the summary here before finishing the book, but I stopped myself before I read too much of it. I think I'm getting more out of it by not knowing too much about what's playing out, if that makes sense. The summary I read before was very brief and intriguing, the one here I feel is too detailed.

I'll probably follow this one with Breathless by Dean Koontz .

message 3: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments I really like dystopian books, although I tend to stick to the YA ones. I bought a paranormal romance/dystopian series a while ago. I kind of forgot about it until now, I should move it up on my list.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

I'll keep an eye on your shelves for ideas, then. Just a few minutes ago I got Daemon (Daemon, #1) by Daniel Suarez by Daniel Suarez. Kind of an "impending technological apocalypse" thing. I'm trying to keep it near the top of my list but if you've seen my "to read" shelf... kind of out of control. :) I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to books, both paper and digital.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I placed this in the wrong place at first:

I'm currently reading Intrigues (The Collegium Chronicles, #2) by Mercedes Lackey by Mercedes Lackey and Swords & Dark Magic The New Sword and Sorcery by Lou Anders edited by Lou Anders. I'd not planned to read Intrigues right now (since it is book 2 in a trilogy and I like to read series back to back) but I started it as a reward to myself after fighting my way through The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille .

Christa, Intrigues opened up with cover. Now I just have to wait to get home from work to really dive into it.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "I'm reading The End of Marking Time by C.J. West by C.J. West. If you go to his page here, he's giving away copies via email. It's a dystopian/1984ish work.

Warning - I'm ..."

I just got my copy of The End of Marking Time by C.J. West . FYI - my TBR list is out of control, lol. As I was reading descriptions of it (short ones, per your advice) it started to remind me of a book I read many many year ago: The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen . I read that book well over 20 years ago but it bothers me (when I think about it) to this day. Since you are reading it, do you think that they sound alike (not in topic but in style)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "Christa, Intrigues opened up with cover."

Good! Isn't it sad when even costly new ebooks are a crapshoot for these things? Glad yours came intact!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "Since you are reading it, do you think that they sound alike (not in topic but in style)"

I don't know, but one thing is similar in the sense that both protags are isolated and have no idea what is happening outside their "boxes". I'll have to check that one out, never heard of it till you mentioned it. Looks intriguing. One more for the endless TBR list... LOL

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob (shack) | 10 comments Fished reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2) by Douglas Adams and found it not quite as good as the first book. Started reading Death Troopers (Star Wars) by Joe Schreiber , I've heard good things about this book and am looking forward to it.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I finished Intrigues (The Collegium Chronicles, #2) by Mercedes Lackey last night and I'm moving on to Swords & Dark Magic The New Sword and Sorcery by Lou Anders . My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "I don't know, but one thing is similar in the sense that both protags are isolated and have no idea what is happening outside their "boxes". I'll have to check that one out, never heard of it till you mentioned it. Looks intriguing. One more for the endless TBR list... LOL"

It's a good book from what I remember. I was pretty young, though.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I had another addition to my TBR list: Geist (Book of the Order, #1) by Philippa Ballantine I won it in a contest with Dear Author. :-)

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) I'm just starting: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Reading it because it was recommended as a book similar to Hunger Games.

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments I'm reading Bound, by Antonya Nelson: Bound by Antonya Nelson

I came across it a month or so ago, found the description intriguing, and bought it. And then I checked out the Goodreads reviews and went "oops." (Usually I check the reviews before I buy, but sometimes I just get so excited about a book that I buy now, think later....)

Now that I'm reading it, I find I'm enjoying it quite a bit. So pfffffffft on that 3.08 average rating. :)

message 15: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm just starting: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Reading it because it was recommended as a book similar to Hunger Games."

I LOVE The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner 2)! I actually liked it more than the Hunger Games, but just by a hair. I think it's because I like to puzzle things out and theorize.

I don't know what to read right now. I am still reading Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan , but I am not really enjoying it as much as the last one. It is still good, but not quite as action packed as the second one.

I like to read more than one book though, so I am going to go look at my shelves and see what I can find...

message 16: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: I LOVE The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner 2)! I actually liked it more than the Hunger Games, but just by a hair. I think it's because I like to puzzle things out and theorize.

Excellent. I was wondering how The Maze Runner compared--and my library has it as epub. I'll have to give it a chance a few books from now.

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited Jan 11, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I had to put Swords & Dark Magic The New Sword and Sorcery by Lou Anders to the side for a while, it isn't as good as I was expecting. This is the paragraph that made me pause:

"The visitant towered before them. Lifted ragged hands of smoke, and drew back the hood. What she uncowled -within an undulant mane of tendriling black smoke - was a globe of eyes, eyes only and uncountable, for each eye focused on resolved into a globular cluster of eyes more myriad, and each of these distinctly brimming with memories and meaning..."

Seriously, that's the entire paragraph.

I started reading Sabazel and it's ok. Sabazel by Lillian Stewart Carl

message 18: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments "...for each eye focused on resolved into a globular cluster of eyes"?

I think I have a headache now.

message 19: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments lol! That's how I felt.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Descriptive prose should make you visualize something, not make your head 'splode. My brain replaced the entire thing with "big scary eye-headed chick", and I'm pretty sure that's not what the author was hoping for.

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments "big scary eye-headed chick" is exactly what I got out of it!

message 22: by Laetitia (new)

Laetitia Ok, I'm french and love to read in english, but to be honnest, I didn't "understand" anything of that paragraph...that's scrary! I suppose I would have ended up with the same resume as you Mrs Joseph but still... :0(

I just finished The Help and The Angel's Game and would strongly recommend them.
I plan on reading 100 books but those will be in french and in English as I read faster in french. I added some Nicholas Sparks to be sure to reach the goal and I plan on reading the Sebastian St Cyr saga from C.S. Harris as I love them so far (2books done)! Hopefully I'll get there!
Happy new year everyone

message 23: by Pippa (last edited Jan 13, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Pippa Just started One Day by David Nicholls by David Nicolls. Really enjoying it - it is based in the 80's-90's and the characters are the same age as I was then, so very relevant. Great read.

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Laetitia wrote: "Ok, I'm french and love to read in english, but to be honnest, I didn't "understand" anything of that paragraph...that's scrary! I suppose I would have ended up with the same resume as you Mrs Jose..."

I had to re-read that paragraph at least 5 times before I gave up. I get it, but I don't get it, you know? I think this author's attempt at descrptive prose is a FAIL.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm currently reading Shadow Shadow Series Book 1  by Anne Logston and it's starting ok. I'm not far into it cause I'm at work right now. I decided to put Sabazel by Lillian Stewart Carl on hold for a little while.

I'm also reading Dancing in the Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2) (Silhoutte Special Edition #1757) by RaeAnne Thayne and I'm almost done. I started it because the idea of a disabled heroine seemed interesting. I just wish the rest of the book was as interesting as the plot.

message 26: by Pippa (new)

Pippa MrsJoseph wrote: "Laetitia wrote: "Ok, I'm french and love to read in english, but to be honnest, I didn't "understand" anything of that paragraph...that's scrary! I suppose I would have ended up with the same resum..."
Ha, English is my first language and even I couldn't read it!

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I finished Shadow by Anne Logston today - my review is in my challege thread. It was ok, very quick and cute. I guess I'll finish Sabazel next.

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments For some reason Sabazel isn't catching my interest the way I expected it to.

I had a sample copy of The Voyage of the Minotaur - the author is on MR. I ran into the sample while flipping through my book list and started reading. It's pretty good! I finished the sample and bought it and the sequel from smashwords. I was suposed to shop in my bookself but I couldn't resist.

message 29: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments Hahaha, I hate when that happens.

I am starting Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning , the last book in the Fever series (urban fantasy).

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally started Breathless by Dean Koontz . I've been a Dean Koontz fan a long time, but in this one he's trying to do that "multiple diverse characters/intertwined storylines" thing that Stephen King does so well (IMO) - only DK is trying to do it in about 340pgs. I'm about 40% through and I think it's too ambitious - another new mysterious character was just introduced! - but there's about 200 pages left to resolve itself so maybe it will work out. It's not a bad book, it just feels like a storyline version of overkill.

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm currently reading By the Sword (Kerowyn's Tale) (Heralds of Valdemar, #4) by Mercedes Lackey , still reading Sabazel by Lillian Stewart Carl , The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch , and a little Meditations of Marcus Aurelius :)

message 32: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments I finished Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and absolutely loved it. If you like YA contemporary romance (like Perfect Chemistry), I think you will like it.

I started Hollowland by Amanda Hocking last night. Nothing like starting a good zombie book right before bed, lol. It's not really creepy though, yet anyway. I really like it so far.

I also started Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning for a group monthly read. It's ok, but mostly romance. I like a bit more excitement or action in my books. I hear they get better as they go though.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Serendipity House and now I've got two novels up next that I've got to review: The Necromancer and The Prettiest Feathers. I can't decide which one to read first. I'm interested in both of them, I'm just in the mood for something different right now.

Maybe I'll squeeze in a Harlequin before I start one of them. :) I've got plenty of those to choose from.

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) Just started this today (got it from the library, reading it on my Nook).

The Lost Dogs Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Right now I'm reading
- In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce - a YA book I read as a child
- Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) by David Eddings
- I also think I want to read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

message 36: by Dawdler (new)

Dawdler (dawdler612) | 36 comments I've been reading a lot of autobiography's lately, like Mackenzie Phillips, Chris Jericho (a wrestler)and Louie Zamperini (unbroken) books, I like to be inspired by others or be glad that I'm not them

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I haven't read a biography lately but I did buy a copy of Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. I plan to read it soon but I need to knock my TBR list down a little. :)

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm reading the process of reading The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss (trying to catch up to a group read), The Man With the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1) by Simon R. Green and The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie . After that I'm picking up the Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) by Elizabeth Moon .