Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Skloot, Rebecca - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Here it is Erika.

message 3: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I really want to read this, but I have 13 books going right now. Hopefully, I'll get some of them wrapped up soon.

message 4: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Will start within the next couple of days.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Did you guys ever start reading this?

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Oh here it is! Okay, I started but I could never find the folder and then I got distracted by other books. I'm SO sorry, especially since this book was my idea. Did anyone read it? If not, maybe we can do it for sure in March instead.

message 7: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I requested it from my library. I read the first chapter and it seemed good, considering it's nonfiction.

message 8: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments I've started it, but I'm only maybe 50 pages in.

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Galla, even though I haven't started I'm already amazed. I can't believe how much this woman has contributed to the world through science and she is virtually known. It's a shame.

message 10: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Me too, Sashana. The ethical issues involved in this story are awfully prickly, and I'm looking forward to seeing the author explore those more.

message 11: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Hi, I'd love to restart the discussion, I'm thinking of starting the book next week while I'm away.

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14748 comments Mod
Oh this is one of my favourite books. I'm not sure that I can say it is "enjoyable", but it sure is thought provoking and worth reading

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1018 comments I'm interested to know how people from non-Science background get along with the theoretical content of this book. As a biology teacher I was able to just about keep up.

message 14: by ✿Claire✿ (last edited Nov 18, 2014 02:28PM) (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've started it today, I'm 'enjoying' it so far. I think it's amazing how they would ignore symptoms until they absolutely couldn't any more. Today, some people go to the Dr about everything and anything.

I've got a very scientific background, I did Human Genetics at uni and then a research masters in Ageing and Health. I never worked with HeLa cells but I did use other human cells which is what got me interested in reading the book in the first place.

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I don't have a science background, but I don't remember feeling that it was too technical. Maybe it just went over my head without me realising? Haha

message 16: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've read a little bit more. I love reading about how they made do and invented things as they went along, things that are taken for granted today in a lab. The description of the sterilisation of the 'cubicle' was really interesting, we've got so many sophisticated systems now and yet the old ways much have worked to a certain extent. It says a lot though that biologists never thought much about the sterile techniques, it took a nurse to organise that!

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Yes very true Claire. I think sometimes we forget the origins of some of our technology or practices

message 18: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've had to put this to the side for a couple of days, I'll pick it back up on Thursday when I've finished tomorrow's shift!!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments One thing that bugged me about the book, and it's a minor thing I guess, is how Rebecca made the book as much about her as it was about Henrietta, or HeLa, or the science behind it. But I did find it really interesting, (view spoiler)

message 20: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I will join this one!

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments @ Michelle, yes it did read like Rebecca's story on her quest to find out about Henrietta. Though that is how many novels are written. It's not a straight biography.

message 22: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I just finished chapter three and so far I am pleased. I was worried that it would be too scientific and not enough like a story. Here is my question (view spoiler)

message 23: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn I put this book in for my book club and we all loved it. It is not going to give you car chases or sweaty romance but it is an important book. The question of who owns our tissues and what can be done with it and who makes money on it are some really huge ethical issues.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

@Karrie
I don't quite remember this, but I guess you mean Henrietta? I don't think it was unusual for the time

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Very true Belle

message 26: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Going forward in the book apparently it was not unusual. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I am finding the science very fascinating and it is not bogging down the story at all.

message 28: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I finished it. It was well done!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rebecca Skloot (other topics)