Our Lady of the Lost and Found: A Novel of Mary, Faith, and Friendship Our Lady of the Lost and Found discussion

Neat Idea Falls Sort of Flat

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (last edited Jan 06, 2011 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Natalie There's so much of this novel to love: to learn about the Virgin Mary and in a setting of fiction allowing the sky to be the limit.

But it falls flat. The pacing (which as a published author, I've had my hands slapped with metaphoric rulers for slow pacing) falls flat.

What's more, I'm suprised none of her editors caught this.

There is no actual story. Take Scrooge. He's visited by the holy ghosts of Christmas past, present and future of what could become. Now that's a story.

I still have thirty more pages left. I hope I'm suprised, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed.

On the other hand, I LOVE the tales of modern sightings of miracles, especially those that are in the U.S.

What are others' thoughts?

Maria Aenlle I'll be reading it next. Will comment after I do. My sister liked the book but she loves everything related to the Virgin Mary. She thought it was beautiful.

Natalie I think it should have been written as nonfiction, rathe than fiction, because the storyline is slow.

But the facts of all the sightings are interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think.

Maria Aenlle I finished the book and have also thought that it could have been written as nonfiction but perhaps the author did not feel she was an authority in Marian apparitions. I can see why she decided to make it a novel. The conversations with Mary make the author in the book think about deeper issues in her life. I can see the message that Mary can be with you but it's up to you to benefit from her presence. I was intrigued by the point that in all the history that the author in the book read and used as reference for her writings, there were so few mentions of the Virgin Mary, a woman so famous for well over 2,000 years. This point really seemed important to me.

Meg's There are reasons certain books just "come our way". I enjoyed Our Lady of the Lost and Found. Sometimes authors doing non-fiction research decide to write a fictionalized novel to reach a wider audience. Here are a few other books that I have rated 4-5 stars over the years:
The Red Tent. Labyrinth, The Dovekeepers, The Expected One.