YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Nook - Swap/Lend e-books

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments Now that more of us have e-readers Amber asked a great question about lending our books out.

Maybe we could use this thread to swap/lend our books within the group.

I guess we could list the books we have on our devices and if people are interested go from there?

Any comments or suggestions?

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) Well I'll start up again since I suggested it....I have a shelf in goodreads with my lendable books on it. In case anyone wants to see it.

I know there's been some issues with authors pulling the lending ability from their books, but I doubt it lasts very long. Since books are only allowed to be lent once ever - they arn't missing anything. I only ask to borrow books I know I'd never buy anyway.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 06, 2011 02:44PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I just saw a post in my Delirity group from a girl saying that some of her Nook books don't say "lend me" on her Nook, but they show up as lendme on her account online. That may open up more books for some of you.

I have a Nook, but have been too lazy to look into lending/borrowing, since I never run out of stuff to read.

message 4: by Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (last edited Jan 08, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) This was something someone said in the GR Nook community:

"Apparently a few publishers have stopped supporting book lending on ereaders. This comes coincidentally after Amazon made ebook lending available for the Kindle. There doesn't seem to be any official announcement by the publishers (or B&N or Amazon), but from my own observations Penguin Group and Soho Press appear to be two of the publishers. At least these are the two that have affected many of my previously lendable ebooks. The ebooks are still showing the LendMe icon on apps and on the Nook, but when you try to lend it you receive an error. To know which of your books are affected you need to look at the Nookbook again on B&N's site. If the LendMe icon has been removed, the ebook is no longer available to lend. I'm disappointed to say the least. "

WTF B&N!? This is exactly why I strip the DRM from their books, because they limit you SO much on how many times you lend, what books you can/can't, how long you can lend.. Obnoxious.

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments I agree Meghann, The DRM on e-books is a very contentious issue right now. I think most publishers are for DRM but I don't understand why, it's no different from lending a 'real' book to someone or getting it out of the library.

I certainly don't have a problem with lending. I'd be a total hypocrite if the author side of me said I agree with DRM, coz the reader side of me used to love to share my books and borrow my friends books. I can't do that anymore since I bought my kindle.

Smashwords doesn't agree with DRM and all their authors books are DRM free. Lets face it, if someone is going to pirate a book, they'll get around the DRM anyway and those are the people who are not interested in loaning out a book to a couple of friends.

As I said, a very contentious issue depending on which side of the fence you are. I'm on the DRM free side :-)

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) I e-mailed Penguin a few days ago about this. I have decided I won't buy any books that don't have Lend Me capabilities. This is my little stand on the issue. It's lendable one time. Seriously. Otherwise I'll get the book from a second hand book store like Half Priced Books where Penguin will get none of the profit. Or lend it from my library's ebook set up.

I'm really irritated that the bottom financial line is more important then the people who actually buy the books.

PS - sorry to seem stupid, it's early for me yet but what does DRM mean?

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments @Amber DRM = Digital Rights Managed. It means that the file is encrypted or something so that only you can open it. You can't forward it to anyone else.

message 8: by Brandi ;) (new)

Brandi ;) (clairadncr) | 1 comments I was reading about DRM the other day (I am researching ereaders, can't make up my mind!) and from what I gathered, they encrypt the file by combining your name and credit card #. There is software that strips the DRM so you can then transfer the file to other ereaders, including other brands. At least that's what I have found. I found it by searching to see if I bought a Nook could I then buy books from Borders or Amazon and transfer them to the Nook. I'm still incredibly confused on all of it and hopefully will have an ereader in my possesion soon, if I can just make up my mind and buy one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This one is free for Nook right now and it looks like it might be interesting :

Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight, #1) by Bryan Davis

message 10: by Book Sushi (new)

Book Sushi (BookSushi) | 97 comments hey guys, i dont know much about the e-reader capabilities but if u want ebooks that are pdf format, i have. you are welcome to check out if there is anything you are interested in on my page under "ebooks i have" if you want anything, please inbox me your email address and i will send it to you.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrissy17104) | 2 comments Brandi ;) wrote: "I was reading about DRM the other day (I am researching ereaders, can't make up my mind!) and from what I gathered, they encrypt the file by combining your name and credit card #. There is software..."

I went through the same thing when i went to buy an ereader, the nook was what i decided to go with. I had previously had the Sony ereader but returned it for the nook because of the built in bookstore and ability to buy and download a book almost anywhere.
Your 2 main ones are Nook and Kindle and when it comes to flexibility the Nook wins hands down. You can really only put books bought directly form amazon on the Kindle, and sometimes i like to shop around for books and get a better deal from some of the other sites.
Not to mention that when i had an issue with my Nook all i had to do was bring it to my local B&N and when they couldn't fix it the handed me a brand new one to replace the old one. Cant beat good customer service like that.

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments Christine, It's not entirely true about only buying books from amazon for the kindle. You can download anything that is mobi. formatted to the kindle but you have to do so from your pc.

I have a kindle and I download tons of books from smashwords. As long as the formatting is correct (for kindle it's mobi) then you can download from any site to your pc then from your pc to the kindle.

Is that how it works with the nook or can you download from other sites direct to the nook without going through the pc? That would make the nook more of an option.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage is also free for Nook right now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson free at the moment.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1) by Amanda Hocking 99 cents (US).

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Posting this in here too for those that like to do Netgalley and other galley book programs, or borrow library books and don't know how to get the books onto their nook (it's not the same as loading an epub or pdf file where you can drag the icon right into your Nook drive folder).

When I download books (.acsm) using Adobe Digital Editions (library books), I then plug in my nook, and wait for it to show up in the file structure on the left side of the Adobe Digital Editions desktop/program. Then I drag the book, within Adobe Digital Editions, to the nook icon on the left, and it is side loaded to the nook. Then I follow the safe eject/disconnect thing. I don't use Calibre at all when I'm transferring .acsm books to my nook. Are you getting the books through Overdrive? There are much clearer explanations than mine for using Adobe Digital Editions at the bn website.

Basically, doing a drag and drop into the file folder like I usually do wasn't working for books labled .acsm. I had to actually drag the book from inside of an open Adobe Digital Editions window into the little Nook icon that was listed in the menu inside of the same program. The whole process was done within Adobe Digital Editions.

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Can you actually tell me how to take expired galleys OFF my nook? I can't for the life of me figure it out. -_-

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) With the new patch update, you can delete right from the Nook now. I don't have it handy at the moment, but I noticed that they added features where you can delete books and also change font size on documents now, but you have to poke around under the different options to find out where to locate the delete and font change features. It's not an actual heading like you get for bookmarks, search, etc. I think it's under a heading like book detail or something.

Or, you can plug in your Nook and delete it out of the Digital Editions folder inside the Nook drive when it pops up.

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Worked like a charm! Thanks, Stacia. =]

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Just in case you all were interested.

How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks is free for Kindle and Nook right now.

message 22: by Ashalyn (new)

Ashalyn | 4 comments Honestly I just download the book from the library. They don't have the expense of printing but a lot of the times the ebook are higher then the paperback or even in some case hard back. Plus after you pay it they make it limited on sharing. They are just asking for pirating unfortuantly. So i will just stick with the library. I absolutely love my Nook just think I spent $150 for this reader and now have to pay $15.00 for a book when I can get it from the library free just isn't right. Sorry for my little rant on this issue.Just really kind of annoys me.

message 23: by Paula (last edited May 07, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Paula  Phillips (thephantomparagrapher) | 2 comments If there are any particular Paranormal, Supernatural Ebooks that you want and new teen books. Send me an email as I might just have it on my Ereader as I have over 800+ Books. my email is paulazone@live.com

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula  Phillips (thephantomparagrapher) | 2 comments :)

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy Bishop (joybishoptx) | 1 comments I think that the publishing industry is going through what the music industry went through with MP3 files. I'm sure in a few years it will all level out. I hope so.

I like the idea of making a "lendable" shelf of books that people can check out to see if they want anything. I tend to lend more than I borrow.

message 26: by Ysabella (new)

Ysabella (ysabella8) | 4 comments hello guys!! sorry I haven't been active in this group... I just got a nook and I don't really have many books on here. I've been really into steampunk and I was wondering if anyone would want to e- lend me one?