THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > ebook Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Hanson (helenhanson) Hi,

I read the rules on book giveaways and scoured the posts regarding ebook giveaways. Since I found nothing that answers my question, I'll risk a redundant post . . .

Is there any discussion of allowing ebook giveaways by authors? If not, I'm curious why this is not allowed.

Thanks!

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Hi Helen,

There is not yet a place to do it because we haven't found a great user experience for it yet. Just lumping them in with regular giveaways leads to confusion and some people not getting what they expect, etc.

We recognize that both authors and some users would like to see ebook giveaways, so it is something we are working on, though I can't give you a definite timetable for it.

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Hanson (helenhanson) Patrick,

Understood. My father always said, "If you're going to do something, do it well." Actually, his version had #&@#! in the mix, but the principle applies. I appreciate your quick response. Thanks for your time.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) As a reader, I would love to be able to win electronic books - I have a visual impairment and have difficulty reading normal books.

As a writer, I could afford to give away more copies with an electronic giveaway.

It would be great to have the option of both kinds of giveaway, in future :)

Rachel

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Massara (sylvia_massara) Rachel, get in touch Darcia Helle. She's an author on Goodreads and an avid supporter of book giveaways and promoting authors, etc. Just look up her profile and contact her.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You know, as a new member I'm not sure about much, but as a writer I would love to give away PDF copies of both my books. Twenty copies to twenty readers, just to get the ball rolling on sales and reviews. How do others feel about this?

message 7: by R. Scot (new)

R. Scot Johns (rscotjohns) | 1 comments Terrance wrote: "...as a writer I would love to give away PDF copies of both my books. Twenty copies to twenty readers, just to get the ball rolling on sales and ..."

Terrance,
PDF's would be fine for people with tablets, or who don't mind reading on a full-sized computer sreen, but they don't work well on the smaller screens that make up the bulk of eReading devices, so you'd be limiting your potential audience. As a way to garner reviews it would be much more effective to give away ebooks in ePub or a Kindle-supported format that more people would enjoy reading. After all, you want the reading experience to be as pleasurable as possible.

Where sales promotions are concerned, as a general rule you should give away whatever format you're trying to promote. Print editions and ebooks are not the same reading experience, and it has been my experience thus far that reviewers tend to take print editions more seriously than digital files of any variety.

Of course, any exposure is good exposure, so give away what you've got. Best of luck!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I admit I'm doing the best I can with what I got, but to get moving on this is to give away my eBooks. Let people read them and get some talk flowing. And you're right, it's easier said than done. The offer still stands. Also, on my writing page or somewhere I posted a short story for everybody to enjoy.

Thanks for answering the question.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I do have both books in the Kindle supported format, for those looking to read for free.

message 10: by Lesia (new)

Lesia Gagliotti | 1 comments I am new to this. I was wondering if anyone could help me. Where do I possibly get an answer to a book I have just read, book of the dead by Patricia Cornwell. I know others have read this book. How do I go about this?

message 11: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler (ellisvidler) | 10 comments I'd like to give away a Kindle copy of my book. Any ideas yet? You can read Kindle eBooks on a computer with the free Kindle software download. It works well--I did it for months before I got my Kindle.

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Ellis wrote: "I'd like to give away a Kindle copy of my book. Any ideas yet? You can read Kindle eBooks on a computer with the free Kindle software download. It works well--I did it for months before I got my Ki..."

We just tried our first-ever official ebook giveaway. It was not for a Kindle edition of the book -- it was for epub -- but so far, the response has been positive. Our main stumbling block was customer experience. We wanted the giveaway to be clear and easy for those entering from beginning to end. So far, it looks like that's been the case.

I'm going to wait another week or so to make sure there aren't hidden issues, but it looks like we've moved one big step closer to being able to allow ebook giveaways.

message 13: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler (ellisvidler) | 10 comments Thanks, Patrick. I'll keep checking.

message 14: by David (new)

David Gaughran (davidgaughran) | 4 comments Patrick - that's great news.

message 15: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler (ellisvidler) | 10 comments Rachel wrote: "As a reader, I would love to be able to win electronic books - I have a visual impairment and have difficulty reading normal books.

As a writer, I could afford to give away more copies with an ele..."

Rachel,
I'd be happy to send you a Kindle copy of Haunting Refrain. It's romantic suspense, maybe a PG-13 rating. If you're interested, let me know. I'm ellis@ellisvidler.com. I don't know any other way to reach you.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Gilliam (seadoc) | 31 comments My book Point Deception has its own website: http://www.pointdeception.com If you visit the home page you will see the following offer after the book trailer link:

If you enjoyed viewing the book trailer, but are still undecided about purchasing the book, click Point Deception to download your own FREE PDF copy. You can also buy a copy in either hardcover or paperback by clicking on the BookLocker link below or alternatively through Amazon.com, or Barnes & Noble online. If you enjoy the book, please recommend it to your family and friends. In the arena of book promotion it's word-of-mouth not Madison Avenue.

Thank you for your continued support of my work.

Jim Gilliam

Of course I want people to buy my book, but mainly I want people to read it! If providing a free PDF copy of my book makes that happen, thereby spreading the word that there is a new thriller out there that is a must read then that's great. No one will buy the book if they don't know it's there. It costs me nothing to provide a free PDF copy as opposed to mailing out hard copies hoping that somebody will review it, favorably or not.

Jim Gilliam

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Let's try to keep this thread on-topic; namely, this is a thread for discussing ebook giveaways on Goodreads. This is not the thread to post info about your book.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Gilliam (seadoc) | 31 comments My apologies to one and all. I didn't realize that the topic e-book giveaways was limited to e-book giveaways on Goodreads only. I was merely adding my philosophy of giving away my work in any format. Other comments above seemed willing to give away their named books.

Again, sorry for the mis-conception.

Jim Gilliam

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim Gilliam (seadoc) | 31 comments Rachel wrote: "As a reader, I would love to be able to win electronic books - I have a visual impairment and have difficulty reading normal books.

Rachel,

I would be more than happy to send you a PDF copy of my novel Point Deception. Just give me a shout at jgill12775@optonline.net That is if you enjoy a fast moving suspense thriller with a military and law enforcement base.

Jim Gilliam

message 20: by John (new)

John Hickman My e-Book is for sale @ $4.95 USD. As part of that deal I give away a sample of the first 22% of the book entirely FOC. So far I've had 40 downloads of which 9 are paid sales. Was the question that if I give the entire book away FOC - that might increase sales?
If so, I'm confused...

message 21: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 17 comments Patrick wrote: "Ellis wrote: "I'd like to give away a Kindle copy of my book. Any ideas yet? You can read Kindle eBooks on a computer with the free Kindle software download. It works well--I did it for months befo..."

That's great, Patrick. I'd much rather release epub than Kindle, though I'll probably release both eventually.

message 22: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Doidge | 3 comments I would love to participate in an ebook giveaway on Goodreads - I could do an ePUB or Kindle or PDF. Whatever amount of copies Goodreads would prefer. Like my fellow authors have mentioned above - getting a discussion going would be great!

After the Virus by Meghan Ciana Doidge

message 23: by John (new)

John Hickman Or as I suggested, just download the first 22% FOC and review or comment on that. That's more than any traditional publisher's sub-editor would read - before rejecting it!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (clfornax) | 4 comments Meghan wrote: "I would love to participate in an ebook giveaway on Goodreads - I could do an ePUB or Kindle or PDF. Whatever amount of copies Goodreads would prefer.

I would be happy to do this, too.

message 25: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 4 comments If you are researching another eBook give-away, I would be happy to participate...I have both Kindle and Nook versions.

Fire in the Blood (Last Moon Rising) by Dale Ibitz

message 26: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 86 comments Rachel, if your disability can be attested to by a doctor or social worker or therapist, you can read all the ebooks you wish free by joining BookShare.org. They even have ebooks that are not released to the general public, courtesy of the Chaffee Amendment to the DMCA.

Rachel wrote: "As a reader, I would love to be able to win electronic books - I have a visual impairment and have difficulty reading normal books.

message 27: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 86 comments I haven't seen the GOODREADS giveaway rules and wordings, but be aware that there are readers and internet bots who/which see "Giveaway" or "free" in connection with ebooks and jump to the apparent conclusion that you have given away the copyright.

EBooks intended for a temporary promotion on an authors' or publishers' website are turning up on pirate/subscription sites such as wiredshelf.com, the Freebie Master's sites, and in DVD collections being sold on EBay and its ilk with the sellers claiming that the ebooks are in the public domain or that they have taken out a GNU license on the anthology.

There is also the problem of pirates taking other authors' ebooks and publishing them as their own work on popular direct publishing platforms.

So, be very careful to make it very clear what it is you are offering and what rights you explicitly reserve both in your listing, and in your covering email to the winners.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma Calin (emmacalin) | 9 comments I have a short story - an urban fiction that is currently on a summer promotion and is FREE, it also comes with a link to a free audiobook version in MP3 format (this can actually be played on Kindle as a music file!). Smashwords are great as the book is offered in so many different formats to suit just about any e-reader (Kindle, Nook, iPAD, Android PDF, HTML etc)

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

I also have another book which is half price in the summer sale, this is a more 'traditional' romance, but is quite hot (adults only1) for those long summer nights....

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 29: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 23 comments How does one start a new thread ?

message 30: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 23 comments Also, I have just started a giveaway (The Battle of Chibi) and see that I should start a new forum for a Q & A--how does one do that?

message 31: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Hock wrote: "Also, I have just started a giveaway (The Battle of Chibi) and see that I should start a new forum for a Q & A--how does one do that?"

If you want to start a new thread in a group, go to the "discussion topics" area and click "new" as it appears there.

As for the Q&A group, you can start a new group from this page: http://www.goodreads.com/group/new

When creating it, make sure to choose "Goodreads Author" as the category and then whatever sub-category is appropriate for your kind of writing.

message 32: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 23 comments Patrick wrote: "Hock wrote: "Also, I have just started a giveaway (The Battle of Chibi) and see that I should start a new forum for a Q & A--how does one do that?"

If you want to start a new thread in a group, go..."

Thanks Patrick!!

Could you also tell me how to link this group to my profile or to wherever the book giveaway is? Thanks in advance!

message 33: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Hock wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Hock wrote: "Also, I have just started a giveaway (The Battle of Chibi) and see that I should start a new forum for a Q & A--how does one do that?"

If you want to start a new threa..."

The Q&A group will appear on your author profile after you create it. It will show up in your recent activity area.

The giveaway will show on your book page as well as on http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway. If you want to, you can edit the description of your giveaway to mention your Q&A group and link to it, you can do that too (the giveaway will need to be approved again). Just be sure that you don't say "you are required to join the group to enter the giveaway" or anything like that.

message 34: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 4 comments Rowena wrote: "I haven't seen the GOODREADS giveaway rules and wordings, but be aware that there are readers and internet bots who/which see "Giveaway" or "free" in connection with ebooks and jump to the apparent..."

Rowena, yes, have been hearing peeps about piracy. Like the music industry has already faced, the internet changes the playing field immensely.

message 35: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 23 comments Patrick wrote: "Hock wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Hock wrote: "Also, I have just started a giveaway (The Battle of Chibi) and see that I should start a new forum for a Q & A--how does one do that?"

If you want to star..."

Thanks Patrick--I've just done it and it is as you say, under review by Goodreads....

message 36: by Andy (new)

Andy Rane | 13 comments Glad I found this thread before I started my own. Though I'm hoping to get my book formatted for CreatSpace, I've only got ebooks at the moment, so I was a bit disappointed to see that I couldn't do a giveaway. I think if folks are made aware of what they're getting into (ie, "This Giveaway is print only/ebook only") then it would work. Just my $0.02.

message 37: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambersistla) | 2 comments Has there been any update on allowing e-books in the Goodreads Giveaway? I would love to participate in this, but only have e-books to offer.

message 38: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Amber wrote: "Has there been any update on allowing e-books in the Goodreads Giveaway? I would love to participate in this, but only have e-books to offer."

We're still testing our set-up, but so far, so good. My hope is that we'll be able to open ebook giveaways to all authors by the end of the year.

message 39: by Andy (new)

Andy Rane | 13 comments As far as I know, nothing has changed. Try LibraryThing. But, I would also recommend getting a print version set up. It costs little and is a great marketing tool.

message 40: by Andy (new)

Andy Rane | 13 comments Ooo. Good to know!

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambersistla) | 2 comments Patrick wrote: "Amber wrote: "Has there been any update on allowing e-books in the Goodreads Giveaway? I would love to participate in this, but only have e-books to offer."

We're still testing our set-up, but so..."

Great!!! Looking forward to it :)

message 42: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Priddy | 2 comments Terrance wrote: "You know, as a new member I'm not sure about much, but as a writer I would love to give away PDF copies of both my books. Twenty copies to twenty readers, just to get the ball rolling on sales and ..."

i've been giving away my book every chance i get... pretty difficult to even give a book away!

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma Calin (emmacalin) | 9 comments Andrew wrote: "Terrance wrote: "You know, as a new member I'm not sure about much, but as a writer I would love to give away PDF copies of both my books. Twenty copies to twenty readers, just to get the ball roll..."
Yes I agree, I have found this too - especially trying to find readers who enjoy the genre.

message 44: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 86 comments The one concern I have about an "e-book giveaway" is how one makes it clear that what is being given away is a license to read the e-book, and not the copyright to the e-book.

Check this out.
http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/201...

Something to think about for your front matter!

"A user is a licensee, rather than an owner, when the copyright owner

1) Specifies the user is being granted a license
2) Significantly restricts the user’s ability to transfer the software, and
3) Imposes notable use restrictions

Applying these tests to the transaction, the court determined that the company originally acquiring the software had merely been granted a license, and that therefore the first sale doctrine did not apply to its transfer of the software to Vernor, or to Vernor’s subsequent attempts to list it for sale on eBay."

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Twist (jennytwist) | 11 comments Hi
I'm joining this discussion rather late, as I have only just joined the group, but I'd like to give my opinion. I would like to give away books, but cannot afford to send hard copies. I was disappointed to discover that there is no ebook option. Whilst I understand Goodread's concerns, this shouldn't prevent them from giving authors the option. Nobody is going to force an author to give away a book in e-format. So what's the problem? As long as Goodreads has informed us of the possible consequences, they have fulfilled their obligation.
I, personally, have no problems with ebook giveaways and really don't see the difference between someone giving away the ebook or giving away a hard copy. I want people to read my books and am prepared to lose a bit of possible revenue now (bearing in mind that the recipients probably wouldn't have bought the books anyway) in order to get people reading and talking about them.
Go on, Goodreads. Let us do it.
Jenny Twist
https://sites.google.com/site/jennytw...

message 46: by Paul (new)

Paul Tarr | 10 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi
I'm joining this discussion rather late, as I have only just joined the group, but I'd like to give my opinion. I would like to give away books, but cannot afford to send hard copies. I was disa..."

Jenny I'm new too and frankly am confused about this whole eBook giveaway issue on GoodReads. Hopefully the moderator can clarify things.

When I go to the author dashboard there is an add ebook link. When I click on that link it gives me the option to upload an ebook and make it available for free to members.

Some of my confusion:
1. If I make the ebook free is it permanently free?
2. I have my books in PDF, epub, and mobi (KINDLE) formats. The add ebook page allows PDF and epub formats. Can you only provide the ebook in one format or can you make multiple formats available?

I tried pricing my book at the KINDLE and NOOK minimum of $.99 but for the particular book I'd like to promote (a book of humor) I don't mind giving it away as it promotes some of my other books as well. Until I found this discussion I was stymied. As an interim measure I posted a free download link on my website (http://GetOddNews.com) but this isn't the best solution.

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Twist (jennytwist) | 11 comments I would like to know the answer to all those questions, too.
I had a look at your website. Very interesting. Can I download your story and then email it to my Kindle? I don't have a cable for it.
I gather you're about to go on a cruise. Have a wonderful time.
Love Jenny
xxx

message 48: by Paul (last edited Oct 23, 2011 08:41AM) (new)

Paul Tarr | 10 comments Jenny wrote: "I would like to know the answer to all those questions, too.
I had a look at your website. Very interesting. Can I download your story and then email it to my Kindle? I don't have a cable for it.
..."

Thanks for the good wishes. I don't know if you can email the mobi file to the KINDLE. I don't know enough about the KINDLE product to answer. Perhaps someone else can supply an answer (probably on another thread). I used a KINDLE suppled cable on my wife's Kindle in order to verify that the file works on the KINDLE.

The KINDLE KDP also supplies a free program that will display the book on your computer but if you use your computer it is probably better to read the PDF file which is the file I supplied to CreateSpace for publication.

message 49: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Twist (jennytwist) | 11 comments I'll just try it and see what happens.
Have a wonderful holiday
Love
Jenny
xx

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma Calin (emmacalin) | 9 comments I have uploaded my book file to Amazon for Kindle and also to Smashwords. Smashwords is a fantastic resource as once they have processed your file (I think they call it 'putting it through the meatgrinder' or something similar!) it is then available for sale on Smashwords in just about every e-reader format known to digital man - ie Nook, Kobo, Sony, Mobi, Android, Apple iPad, iPhone, EPUB, PDF and HTML. Readers simply select the version that suits their hardware.

The beauty of Smashwords is that they let you generate Coupons - which can be for an amount off your listed price eg. 20% off, or even 100% off (ie FREE!). You set the expiry date on the coupon and can have as many different coupons on the go as you like. So, when I have wanted to do a free giveaway on Smashwords, I generate a coupon code and email this to the person who is going to read it and they can then download it for free in any format they like. (I avoid putting it anywhere public as obviously anyone who has the code can get the book for free.)

To get on Smashwords 'basic' sales list is relatively easy - they have very clear and precise instructions on how to upload your cover art and the file for the book and provided you stick to it, you could be up and running with them in a couple of hours.

They also have a 'premium catalog' which requires some very strict formatting, but this is very useful for us Indies as once you have made it into this catalog, your book is shipped to B&N, Apple, Sony, Kobo so you have many more potential sales outlets for your books.

It is more complicated getting your file in the correct format for this Premium Catalog, but Smashwords are quite helpful in identifying the mistakes so you can put them right.

Smashwords obviously take a cut from each book sold (like Amazon KDP - but slightly more author-favourable percentages).

It then means you have another set of reports to view for sales each month/day/hour!

Hope this helps?

Best wishes
Emma

« previous 1