Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > recommend sandwiches...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm in the mood for cool sandwiches. Recommendations?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You're not a meat eater RA, but a Cuban is a great sandwich.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments hummus with greek yogurt or goat cheese, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, black olives! And avocado with it, that's good too. I usually put it on a tortilla, but bread would work too.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments open faced sandwich peanutbutter-cucumber, add some sambal oelek if you like your food spicy.

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Cucumber, cream cheese, and bean sprouts... yummy!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Pastrami and swiss on rye, grilled, please. Though I'm not much of a sandwich (or "sammidge", as we call them in my house) eater.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Mash avocado with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Serve on toast with cheese and/or greens and/or real or fake deli meat.

message 8: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) now I am hungry! these all sound good. I like guacamole with turkey and tomato on a nice crusty french bread.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Grilled Cheese with bacon and tomatoe. MMMMMMM

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sounds like a breakfast Jack from Jack-in-the-Box. Which just happens to be what I had for lunch yesterday.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments A grilled ham and havarti with grilled onions on a toasted bun.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) This place in Pennsylvania makes a whole bunch of sandwiches that I like:

http://www.isaacsdeli.com/index.asp

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry, what's in their pretzel roll that it isn't vegetarian?
These sandwiches look perfectly veg but there's a warning above them.

Rose of Sharon
Sliced portabella mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, onions and spinach with melted provolone cheese and honey-dijon dressing. 7.99

Mexican Sunflower
Ole! Grilled black bean burger with ancho chili ranch dressing, cheddar cheese and fresh lettuce and tomatoes. 7.99

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't know. Since I'm not veggie, I never worried about that aspect.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Is the pretzel the bread? Or is it in the sandwich?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Seems to be the bread. It's very good though, even if not veggie or vegan. Maybe it has lard in it (yuck).

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "I love a good fried-egg & cheese sandwich. MMMM ... sounds like lunch."

I came in to post fried egg on rye. That wily Canadian stole my words again!

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Larry, what's in their pretzel roll that it isn't vegetarian?
These sandwiches look perfectly veg but there's a warning above them.

Rose of Sharon
Sliced portabella mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, onio..."

could be the cheese.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments A fair point. Most American restaurants (and casual vegetarians) turn a blind eye to the cheese and the possibility it was made with animal enzymes. I'm guessing that isn't it in this case though, since on another section of the menu they have a cheese pizza and a couple of sandwiches listed as vegetarian.

This menu says that the pretzel rolls are neither vegetarian nor vegan, which makes me think that it's the pretzel itself. Maybe lard, as larry said.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Myles wrote: "Grilled Reuben :drool:"

Second that. The Reuben, when it's made right, is the best sandwich in... anywhere! As long as it doesn't have any of Myles' drool on it.

message 21: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Grilled peanut butter on good whole wheat.

Thinly-sliced cucumber, black pepper and cream cheese on pumpernickel.

BLT on sourdough, no mayo.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Cosi's Tandoori Chicken sandwich, and T.B.M. (tomato, basil, mozzarella).

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A local place here makes the best fishburger -- with a nice thick piece of grilled halibut with melted provolone. Yum.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm not a fan of fried mushrooms unless we're talking the consistency of a tempeh burger. I'd also like to try a burger made of quinoa my BIL just told me about over our belated Holiday gathering.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I had to search for quinoa. Had never heard of it.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Really? I thought I spent a lot of time talking about quinoa. I don't know how it would work as a burger (it doesn't seem like it would hold together well without a lot of binding material) but I love it as a grain.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm looking at recipes that mash it up with sweet potato and black bean. I might add a little dark meat chicken and/or egg yolk as a binder.

message 28: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry wrote: "I had to search for quinoa. Had never heard of it."

I learned how to pronouce it from Carla on Top Chef. :blushes for my ignorance:

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So, whisper it to me. I won't tell anyone.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry, it's pronounced KEEN-wah. My aunt makes it better than anybody. It's good stuff. I've had a good quinoa burger too. It's great because it's a complete protein.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah. Complete proteins are kind of rare in plants, right?

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The Trib has an article today (okay, more like a slideshow) of the best sandwiches from local restaurants. I want to try:

the organic pork belly sandwich

the wild boar naanwich

the choriqueso

the BLT with shrimp and avocado

the lemongrass tofu banh mi with cilantro, cucumber and house-pickled carrot and daikon

message 34: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) LG,
your mission, should you choose to accept, 5 sandwiches in 5 days!
report back, please!

message 35: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I often use quinoa instead of rice.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

ms.petra wrote: "LG,
your mission, should you choose to accept, 5 sandwiches in 5 days!
report back, please!"

That would be nice. I don't think I can make it around town to all these restaurants in 5 days....

message 37: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) well, when you get to them, let us know if they are as yummy as they look :)

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Geez LG, there doesn't look like a bad sandwich in the bunch. I may have to travel to Chicago and go on the tour.

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

God damn it. I used to like chorizo. Then I looked too closely at the package. Now I do not like chorizo.

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments note to self: don't look at chorizo packaging.

message 41: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) never looking! it is so good with eggs! :)

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 94 comments and now I'm hungry! thanks a lot! lol

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ahem! What are you sharing with Sally in that note? I think we should have you read it out loud in front of the class.

message 44: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments grilled cream cheese and tomato on rye bread.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments LG, I've had a lemongrass tofu banh mi that was pretty much what you said, but that one looks better.In mine the tofu hadn't been marinated long enough.

message 46: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments If anybody ever comes to Manchester, NH go to Nadeau's for subs/grinders. Go to Levi's Red Arrow for breakfast. that's where the locals go to eat.

message 47: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) RA, do you like tomatoes?

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/04/21...

I'm intrigued by a couple of these. Gelato sandwich?

I can attest to the yum that is Bunny Chow, though it really shouldn't be on a list of sandwiches, any more than a salad in a bread bowl is a sandwich.
Bunny Chow (made with no bunnies, it's named after the bun) is a stew in a hollowed out roll. It's deeeeeeeeelicious.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments crunchy peanut butter and colby cheese on oat nut bread

message 50: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments homegrown tomato and lettuce sandwiches. yumm.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.