/lit/ discussion

How you rate?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian I see most people give 4-5 stars for the most of their books, I think 3 stars in a 5 star system is already showing a better than average book ;).

So what do your ratings depend on?

For me 3 stars is standard from which I nuance my ratings.

Some major flaws come to my mind = 1-2 stars.

A good book I would recommend to nearly everyone = 3 stars.

A book I see as a masterpiece in what it wants to accomplish = 4-5 stars.

I also try to compare books with their genre/author competitors, so a weaker book by an author I already gave some 4-5 stars ratings or a book that is pretty great but does not achieve the greatness of some of their respective genre equivalents I tend to rate with 3 stars even when it is better as many other 3 star ratings I gave.

So how do you rate the books you have read?

This interests me because generally on this homepage, people on this website receive a 3 star rating as an substandard book (sorry for bad grammar me is German and comprehending skills in english are much better as my writing style :) ).

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Kinbote (ckinbote) | 2 comments I'm about the same. If a book is generally pretty good but doesn't leave me with a strong impression of "wow, this was very well-crafted, maybe a masterpiece" I just give it a 3. 4s and 5s are reserved for different degrees of extremely enjoying a book, with 5 being a masterpiece in my opinion. I'd recommend most books I give a 3, 4 or 5 to.

2s have a flaw that prevented me somehow from enjoying the book, be it poor writing, lame plot, etc. There could still be some things I liked about it, but it's too much of a mess to recommend. 1s are books I have a hard time saying anything good about.

message 3: by Mr. (last edited Jan 11, 2011 06:46PM) (new)

Mr. Noc (future_boy) | 4 comments I use 3 & 4 for books that I found interesting at least, good enough, and solid at best.
1 & 2 for books that I probably should have passed on.
And 5, and 4, for those that I will most likely read multiple times in the future.

message 4: by M.moore (new)

M.moore (argentumastrum) | 10 comments I give four stars to a book I liked and five stars to a book that challenged me. I try to be in incautious affirmation of all literature, so I rarely rate below a four. The books I have rated below a four, I still esteem for the fact that they were written--the creative product of a working mind--but, if I just hate what the author has to say (Wittgenstein, for instance) or was unimpressed (especially if the same author blew me away with an earlier book) I will give it a 3 or a 1 or whatever.

message 5: by Dormo (new)

Dormo | 1 comments 1 star for a book I hated
2 stars for a book I didn't like
3 stars for a book I liked
4 stars for a book I really liked
5 stars for a book I really really liked

Fuck you guys and your complex rating systems.

message 6: by Mr. (new)

Mr. Noc (future_boy) | 4 comments Dormo wrote: "1 star for a book I hated
2 stars for a book I didn't like
3 stars for a book I liked
4 stars for a book I really liked
5 stars for a book I really really liked

Fuck you guys and your complex rati..."

That is awesome man...
Like very much so.

message 7: by Brown (new)

Brown Bear (brownbear55) 1. shit should never have even touched
2. crap but at least it's off my list
3. would recommend but not read again
4. would recommend and read again
5. loved it

message 8: by Lodewijk (new)

Lodewijk Goossens I'm guilty of giving out many 4/5 star ratings. I think I'll go back through my ratings and change some of them. Maybe.

message 9: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Jonas (orange22) | 1 comments 1. barely started it
2. read/paid attention to most of it
3. finished it
4. thought about it a little
5. thought about getting a tattoo of it

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (fried_man) | 1 comments I rate most books a 4 or higher because I usually only read those books I think I'll like to begin with.

message 11: by skwumpert (new)

skwumpert tittlefart | 2 comments 1. h8
2. bad
3. good
4. great
5. delicious

message 12: by Stagolee (new)

Stagolee | 2 comments i rate any book i like 5 stars and any book i dont like 1 star

message 13: by D (new)

D (fleance) Chances are if a book warrants a one or two star rating then I probably wont end up actually finishing it. Three if it was a decent way to waste some time, four if it was an enjoyable experience and five if it was an enlightenment through the medium of beautifully crafted prose.

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 1 comments Chances are if a book warrants a one or two star rating then I probably wont end up actually finishing it

This. The most recent culprit was a novel on Eleanor of Aquitaine that was just awful. I don't think I got more than 65 pages in (six hundred page book).

I don't think too hard when I rate, but I also don't read a lot of fiction so I'm not judging based on plot, characterization, etc. If it was informative and well-written, it gets a four. If it's thought-provoking and makes me look for more information on the subject, it's a five.

message 15: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (misspoots) | 2 comments 4 - 5 stars if a book actually got me into it. Anything less I just sort of got really bored with it, hated something about it, or just couldn't get into it.

message 16: by Vuk (new)

Vuk (sinriel) stagolee an hero now, plox. also, broadcast.

message 17: by Emil (new)

Emil Brandau (totalmassretain) | 1 comments 1 = hated it
2 = didn't like it, but wasn't horrible and I can see the appeal in it
3 = pretty okay, but nothing special
4 = very good
5 = great

message 18: by Flocosix (last edited Jan 07, 2012 02:19AM) (new)

Flocosix | 1 comments Well, I just use the default descriptions from goodreads , "didn't like", "it was ok", etc.
It's sad that there are only 5 stars, though. 10 would be a minimum. I put 2.5 stars(created a tag for that) if the book was ok to read but had a point and made me think a little bit. In the rest, I just rate by how enjoyable they were. I may mention that it looks like a good book but it's not my taste and all that in the review, but anyway, I'm not trying to be objective here, it's all about "liked", "really liked" and so on.

1 is for something I couldn't even read.
2 is for books that were good enough to not bore me entirely
3 is for those that kept me interested for most of the time
4 is for those that I didn't read just because I had nothing more interesting to do.
5 - nothing here yet. Books aren't that entertaining
I think I'm gonna start comparing the books I read before with those I've just read and rate them based on that. That will require at least a 0-100 points system, but oh well, I'll find a better site or something.
As you can see, my average rating is 2.09, so I'm not very generous.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (daniels) | 4 comments I don't rate a book I didn't finish; it feels dishonest. So I can't give books that were truly shitty one star. The star rating should go into the negative so you can give books ratings based on how far you got before you got sick of them.

I don't think I've ever given a book anything lower than three. If I could get all the way through it's because I thought it was worth finishing.

3 - Pretty damn decent, but not the author's best (Pygmalion tier)
4 - Wonderful but not timeless (Pleasant Hell tier)
5 - A classic that earned its fame (Crime and Punishment tier)

message 20: by F. (new)

F.  (favds) I use the same criteria goodreads gives for its stars

1- Did not like it.
2- OK book.
3- I liked it.
4- Really liked it.
5- Amazing Book.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Arnold | 1 comments Mine is:

1) hated/found useless
2) did not like/essentially doggrel
3) liked, was basically alright
4) really really liked
5) I loved

message 22: by Pinkyivan (new)

Pinkyivan | 1 comments 1 garbage
2 meh
3 good
4 great
5 personal favorite

message 23: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Pond 1 - Vile Garish Trash
2 - Trash

(power gap)

3 - Mediocre, if it has decent prose but a poor narrative or vice versa it goes here
4 - Accomplished in all faculties, enjoyed reading, perhaps disagreed with the authors sentiments or minor issues.
5 - Books that resonate with me.

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Pond 1 - Vile Garish Trash
2 - Trash

(power gap)

3 - Mediocre, if it has decent prose but a poor narrative or vice versa it goes here
4 - Accomplished in all faculties, enjoyed reading, perhaps disagreed with the authors sentiments or minor issues.
5 - Books that resonate with me.

message 25: by Wes (last edited Jul 19, 2016 01:13AM) (new)

Wes Benchoff | 1 comments 1-Just awful waste of paper and my time
2-Some bright spots in what is mostly garbage
3-Average to above average. Would recommend.
4-Approaching greatness but not quite there, still enjoyed more than usual. May have special sentiment to me.
5-True masterpiece

I am guilty of pushing many books that could justifiably be 3s up to a 4 because I enjoyed them.