Best Books discussion

Games/Fun Topics > First Sentence

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocy (last edited Jan 05, 2011 05:25PM) (new)

Jocy (mclovin_13) | 11 comments Tell me the first sentence of the book, you are currently reading.
Ex.
Life as we knew it by Susan beth Pfeffer

Lisa is pregnant. Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) Our arrival didn't exactly go as planned.

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) I'd always welcomed war, but in battle my passion rose unbidden.

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleymabus) | 4 comments Strangers never walk down this road, the sisters thought in unison as the man trudged toward them.
Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce.

message 5: by Jocy (new)

Jocy (mclovin_13) | 11 comments HEY ASHLEY IS SISTERS RED GOOD SO FAR

message 6: by Jaren (last edited Jan 06, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

Jaren Blood fills my mouth. (the prologue)
The Dark Divine

message 7: by Jocy (new)

Jocy (mclovin_13) | 11 comments Oh I loved that book. I just ordered the second book called The Lost Saint.

message 8: by Roma (new)

Roma | 3 comments Normally I wouldn't have been caught dead at a field party.

Hearts at stake by Alyxandra Harvey
Hearts at Stake (The Drake Chronicles, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathisissilly) | 4 comments Haunted Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

Marie-Madeline lit the flame under the bowl.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleymabus) | 4 comments Its good so far,a bit creepy. I'm on chapter 7. The chapters are kinda long in this book.

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexisfromoregon) To Kill a Warlock (Dulcie O'Neil, #1) by H.P. Mallory There was no way in hell I was looking in the mirror.

message 12: by Alondra (new)

Alondra (reyes25a) | 1 comments "I was never so frightened as I am now."Affinity

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleymabus) | 4 comments I loved Hearts At Stake!

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) A disquieting sense of irritation awakened Neferet. - Awakened by P.C. Cast. :)

Awakened (House of Night, #8) by P.C. Cast

message 15: by Jade (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:52PM) (new)

Jade "I don't like cages." -Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

message 16: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) "It's funny how a name can change the world's perception of you." from The Taste of Night by Vicki Pettersson.

The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2) by Vicki Pettersson

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 9 comments "I want to live my own life on my own terms." from Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles.

message 18: by Dija (new)

Dija Dylan wrote: ""I want to live my own life on my own terms." from Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles."

Wow, nice opening. Quite attention-grabbing and sweet.

message 19: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 9 comments It is, I love this book so far! xD

message 20: by B.R (last edited Jan 14, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

B.R (imaginativesilentwriter) "Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement."
-The Summoning

message 21: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) "The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face." from City of Glass by Cassandra Clare.

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 22: by Jade (last edited Jan 15, 2011 03:43PM) (new)

Jade My mother used to tell me about the ocean.
The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

Luce barged into the fluorescent-lit lobby of the Sword & Cross School ten minutes later than she should have.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

message 23: by Arianne (new)

Arianne (arizanne87) " La place Saint-Marc était envahie par les pigeons" Les sang-Bleu Melissa de la cruz.
It's the second book on the blue bloods serie(Masquerade)
But since i'm reading the french version, I thought it would be fun to say it in french!

message 24: by Jade (new)

Jade Arianne wrote: "" La place Saint-Marc était envahie par les pigeons" Les sang-Bleu Melissa de la cruz.
It's the second book on the blue bloods serie(Masquerade)
But since i'm reading the french version, I thought ..."

That is so cool! I read that one too!

message 25: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) "I was born on the night of Samhain, when the barrier between the worlds is whisper thin and when magic, old magic, sings its heady and sweet song to anyone who cares to hear it." from Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough.

Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) "Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small plastic cup."

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

message 27: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) Brittany wrote: ""Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small plastic cup."

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger"

Wow, that's an awesome first sentece. Might check it out, because of that.

Mine is:

Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison. The amazing Kim Harrison of course.

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1) by Kim Harrison

I just realized... what do we put if there's a prologue? Err... I'll just put both the prologue and the first chapter sentence to play it safe.

Prologue: "Everyone does it."
First chapter: "I leaned my shoulder against a rough boulder and fumed."

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (vivaladolcevita) Prologue: Congratulations. The fact that you're reading this means you've taken one giant step closer to surviving till your next birthday

First Chapter: The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.

- Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

message 29: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) Amy wrote: "Prologue: Congratulations. The fact that you're reading this means you've taken one giant step closer to surviving till your next birthday

First Chapter: The funny thing about facing imminent deat..."

Hooray for Maximum Ride!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (vivaladolcevita) @Jenna: Huzzah! :)

message 31: by Jade (new)

Jade I got up the morning of December twenty-first anticipating a four-day weekend for the Christmas holiday.

Meridian (Fenestra, #1) by Amber Kizer

This book is incredibly boring ugh...

message 32: by Jenna (last edited Mar 27, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Jenna (fluffyvampire) | 11 comments Mod
Prologue: New Orleans, the summer of 1853.
Chapter 1: Torrential rain was pouring the afternoon Rebecca Brown arrived in New Orleans.Ruined Ruined by Paula Morris
Chapter 1: Under the cafeteria table, my right knee bounced like a jackhammer possessed.
Darkness Becomes Her Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton
Prologue: "Do what he wants, and you might survive," a harsh voice said into the boy's ear before he felt a sharp blow to the kidneys.
Chapter 1: "You can do this, Grace," Daniel said between sharp breaths.
The Lost Saint The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2) by Bree Despain
Chapter 1: I know he'll come for me.
Angel Angel (Maximum Ride, #7) by James Patterson

message 33: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) ^ Those sound awesome.

Nation by Terry Pratchett Nation by Terry Pratchett

Prologue: "Imo set out one day to catch some fish, but there was no sea."

First Chapter: "The snow came down so thickly, it formed fragile snowballs in the air that tumbled and melted as soon as they landed on the horses lined up along the dock."

message 34: by Chelsie (new)

Chelsie | 4 comments Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

First Sentence -- The Day I Broke Up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.

message 35: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (Nicholai49) | 1 comments Great Expectations
My Father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip.

message 36: by Jocy (new)

Jocy (mclovin_13) | 11 comments Afterlife (Evernight, #4) by Claudia Gray

"Sunrise is coming," Balthazar said.

message 37: by Jocy (last edited May 13, 2011 05:21PM) (new)

Jocy (mclovin_13) | 11 comments Looking for Alaska by John Green

The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.

message 38: by Krissi (new)

Krissi | 1 comments "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." Jane Eyre

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy (vivaladolcevita) Jessi wrote: "Looking for Alaska by John Green

The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away..."

Gotta love John Green :)

message 40: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (fluffyvampire) | 11 comments Mod
"Nina, look." Sandy jabbed me in the ribs.

XVI by Julia Karr

message 41: by Jenna (last edited Jun 04, 2011 01:18AM) (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) Krissi wrote: ""There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." Jane Eyre"

Oh my God, yes! Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time. Awesome. ^_^

"'Caucasian vampires should never wear white,' the television announcer intoned." from Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris.

Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris

Such an awesome first sentence lol

message 42: by Jade (new)

Jade "On an early and bitterly cold morning in late March, Schuyler Van Alen let herself inside the glass doors of the Duchesne School, feeling relieved as she walked into the soaring barrel-ceiling entryway dominated by an imposing John Singer Sargent portrait of the school's founders"

Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3) by Melissa de la Cruz

That was a long sentence lol

message 43: by Jenna (last edited Jun 08, 2011 11:26PM) (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) ^ It probably looks longer because it's in the small, contained space of a comment instead of the page on a book.

"In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind." from Graceling by Kristin Cashore.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) The rain came down in streaming waves, pattering on the fat lush leaves like a tribal drumbeat, but by this point the six trekkers and their guide were oblivious of it.

-- The Orchard by Jeffrey Stepakoff

message 45: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaknows) "A vibration rippled through my body." from Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder.

Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

message 46: by Jade (new)

Jade "I would have expected to see this sort of line if, say, Elvis had returned from the dead to give a concert."

Just One Wish by Janette Rallison