Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Male UF Authors

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments I'm just curious what recommendations people can make since the majority of UF I've read is by female authors, what good works by male authors can you suggest? I've read the great Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series as well as Justin Gustainis. Who else would you suggest?

message 4: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 91 comments I second Thomas Sniegoski!!

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 122 comments Jes Battis

and not UF but good

Kelly McCullough

Diane ~Firefly~ | 35 comments Simon Hawke

And a couple I have books for, but haven't read yet:
Mark Henry, A. Lee Martinez

message 7: by Regan (new)

Regan (regansummers) | 34 comments Kevin Hearne will release his debut UF in April.
Hounded The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 51 comments I second the recommendation of Mike Carey! I recently read The Devil You Know and was really impressed. It's the first book in the Felix Castor series, and it makes me eager to check out the other ones. He's probably one of the male urban fantasy authors that I currently like the most.

The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey

message 9: by Regan (new)

Regan (regansummers) | 34 comments Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series is excellent. Not your garden variety UF.
Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey

message 11: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments I love Mike Carey's Felix Castor series. Excellent writing, excellent story and world.

message 12: by Emmett (last edited Jan 09, 2011 05:47PM) (new)

Emmett Spain | 33 comments Agree re: Neil Gaiman, and I've heard the Sandman Slim series is meant to be really good (it's on my amazon wish list for when I get my TBR list under control). I'm told my book doesn't suck also.

Old Haunts A London City Novel by Emmett Spain by Emmett Spain

message 13: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Just finished the first Sandman Slim and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely up there with my favorite UF. Either second or third favorite... probably third since I've only read the first book.

message 14: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Loved Sandman Slim (Richard Kadrey) and Child of Fire & Game of Cages (Harry Connolly)- both full of action and no romance. I also second or third Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey, Charlie Huston, A. Lee Martinez, JF Lewis, Simon Green. I didn't see (or missed) these authors mentioned, but would recommend: Mick Farren, Warren Ellis (Crooked Little Vein) (hilarious), Christopher Moore, Clay & Susan Griffin (Greyfriar),Mario Acevedo, Gary Bowen (Diary of a Vampire), and if you want more fantasy than UF, Steven Brust, Matthew Sturges (Midwinter).
Also, there are plenty of female UF authors who do NOT dwell on feelings and romance, and who write wonderful action packed books- Amanda Downum, Karen Taylor, Nancy Collins, Kim Newman (Dracula marries Queen Victoria), Naomi Novik, Liz Williams, Kat Richardson, Poppy Z Brite, PD or Patricia Cacek, Sherry Gottlieb,T A Pratt (don't know if male or female).

message 15: by Deborah (last edited Jan 11, 2011 08:23PM) (new)

Deborah Tasula wrote: "Loved Sandman Slim (Richard Kadrey) and Child of Fire & Game of Cages (Harry Connolly)- both full of action and no romance. I also second or third Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey, Charlie Huston, A. Lee Ma..."

T.A. Pratt is male, his name is Tim. Kim Newman is also male.

message 16: by Enjee (new)

Enjee Hillary wrote: "Kevin Hearne will release his debut UF in April.
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne"

I'm reading an ARC of this. So far, it is one of the best this year. I highly recommend it.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments I highly recommend Kevin Hearne and Jim Butcher.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mad Series launches readers into a world where unfriendly imaginary "friends", cannibals, deadly wrong turns, axe wielding undergraduates, murderous stuffed animals, demonic possessions and much more madness are everyday oddities

To date, the series consist of three urban fantasy novels titles Mad Moral, Mad Menace and Mad Murder, released in the order listed. Each chronicles the lives of a diverse and mad collection of characters that range from all ages, genders, ethnicities and nationalities. The novels are set in the fictional southern state of Carolina, the majority of the characters residing in the small town of Draper.

Many characters’ lives are followed throughout all three tales, each novel respectably introducing us to new or remerging main characters.

Mad Moral follows the life of Ford Fischer, a slasher struggling to resist the urge of the blade along with two other young adults, a romantically conflicted exorcist and a dreamer who redefines night terrors. Those same characters return in Mad Menace and are joined by Sammie Wilde. An eighteen year old high school senior whose mother brands him the “evil one” compared to his twin, the “good one”. In Mad Murder a college socialite named Melrose Valley joins the cast along with Roam Stephens, a young illusionist who possesses a fiery talent.

These characters inhabit the madness, but as told by many readers are connectable. They struggle and strive to overcome everyday problems many of us find ourselves dealing with: unemployment, addiction, self-identification, romance, parenting, transsexualism, prom date woes, career choices, loneliness and the list continues.

It’s a telling of everyday life with a twist of unimaginable madness.

http://tinyurl.com/MadMoral

message 19: by Natalie (last edited Aug 11, 2015 07:28AM) (new)

Natalie Herzer | 2 comments Interesting names here. I'm gonna have a look at some of them.

I can recomend Mario Saincic

message 20: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Aug 11, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 16 comments I didn't see Ben Aaronovitch or Chuck Wendig listed so I'll add their names to the list.

I also throw votes to Kevin Hearne, A. Lee Martinez, Neil Gaiman, Richard Kadrey, and Larry Correia.

message 21: by Thorsten (new)

Thorsten Weitling (thorstenweitling) | 6 comments If you like Jim Butcher's works, I'd suggest Benedict Jacka. Many similarities. So many, I think, that I even recall a call-out to a certain wizard in Chicago in the first Alex Verus book.