The Lit Express YA BOOKS discussion

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly > Chapters 1-4 discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane | 16 comments Mod
Post any questions/thoughts/comments about chapters 1-4 in this thread. Let's get some great discussions going!

message 2: by Alyssa (last edited Jan 13, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Alyssa Nelson (alyssaarch) | 11 comments Mod
*SPOILER ALERT (Only for Chapters 1-4)*

It's so hard to comment about the beginning of a book. But, here are my thoughts:

So far, I'm intrigued. I like the setup. It's not rushed, nor is it dragged out. And I feel like I can really relate to Andi. It's the music. That makes her totally real for me. I know how it is to have the one thing that can make everything better (for me, it's writing), no matter what. And Donnelly makes it sound legit. She doesn't just mention that Andi likes music and shows her playing -- she weaves it in. The songs Andi studies and is inspired by become part of the story. I really love that.

What did everyone think about her seeing her dead brother? I'm not sure it worked as well as it could have. Too soon, maybe. I think he could have been introduced a different, less melodramatic way.

message 3: by Rane (last edited Jan 13, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Rane | 16 comments Mod
SPOILER ALERT--do not read before the end of chapter 5

Alyssa:
I'm also intrigued. The set up is pretty good. The author chose the right supporting details, like you said. Too many authors would have told us "she likes music...depends on it for some peace in her life blah blah," but Donnelly sets up the story to build on Andi's personality traits we learned about very early on in the story.

Andi's emotions are very raw, maybe a little too raw. I feel like the point has been made now--Andi is messed up b/c of her brother's death. I hope it moves into a new phase quickly, otherwise, it might risk becoming a little over the top with sorrow.

I thought seeing her brother in the street was a little unrealistic. It was played up afterward by mentioning the drugs she takes etc. I think it would have been more effective if Donnelly had her hallucinating something smaller earlier on...describing the drug use....and then having her see her brother sometime after that. It would have been most effective that way. The way it stands, I feel it was a little too forced.

I feel like I'm in another world with these rich new york city kids. The drugs they take, how they think they're above the rules and cooler than cool. My teenage years were so incredibly different that I have a hard time relating. It seems a little unreal, but then again, I know there must be some kids who really live like that.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 6 comments SPOILERS!

I agree. But Andi is just driving me a little nuts. We already know that you are dealing and grieving over your brother's death but does everything have to focus entirely on this? It's not a bad thing but the emotions are a little too raw, I agree with you Rane.

I am liking this though but I find myself getting bored quite easily when I'm reading. I'm hoping something exciting starts to happen soon...!

Something else is bothering me too. Maybe it is all the drug use, the talk of suicide and the constant meaness to others but I hope the book takes a serious upturn soon.

But on a positive note, I do like how Andi's little world is described and set up!

message 5: by Rane (new)

Rane | 16 comments Mod
Katie: Andi is driving me a little nuts too. It hasn't gotten so bad that I find her ANNOYING, but it's borderline at the moment. I am also hoping something changes very soon. I was going to say that in my previous comment! It needs to take off in a positive direction, which I'm expecting it to do once she finds the girl's journal. The suicide talk is a little much for me. So, I hope that's the end of it.

Paris here we come!!

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Nelson (alyssaarch) | 11 comments Mod
Agreed on Andi. I think Donnelly is trying way too hard to establish her internal conflict. It would be better if she followed the "less is more" rule.