a writer's best friend discussion

Fun Writing Exercises

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Once a week I will post a writing exercise from the book "Writing Magic:Creating Stories That Fly" by Gail Carson Levine. Hope these exercises help you writers in someway.

Exercise #1

Pick one of the options below and use it as the beginning of a story. You can revise the sentences a little or a lot to make them work better for you. Feel free to change the names and to turn boys into girls or vice versa. Write for at least twenty minutes.

*I have one green eye and one brown eye. The green eye sees truth, but the brown eye sees much, much more.

*The ghost was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.

*"Be nice," my father said. "After all, he's your brother."

*I am the most famous twelve year old in the United States.

*Jason had never felt so foolish before, and he hoped he'd never feel so foolish again.

*If somebody didn't do something soon, they were going to have a catastrophe on their hands.

*Alison was the runt of the famil, born small and ill-favored, and by the time she was thirteen, she was still small and ill-favored.

*It was a witchy house: the low-slung roof; that quiet gray paint; those squinting, shuttered windows; and the empty porch rocker that rocked, rocked rocked day and night.

*The first time I saw Stephen, he painted a hex sign on my right arm, and I couldn't move my fingers for three hours.

*Ms. Fleming's wig had gone missing.

Save Your Work

message 2: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Ashley, what a great idea! I think I am going to have my kids who I am homeschooling try some of these activities. They are teens, so this should be fun for them.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) woah, those are so fun! i could spend the rest of several lives specualting and writing those stories!

message 4: by Mimibones (new)

Mimibones | 1 comments Fun! When are you going to post the next exercise?